• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How difficult is it to shake off the public sector image"

Collapse

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Let's be honest here, that is nothing short of professional discrimination.
    Not really... That's like saying it's discrimination to look for Financial services experience or Retail experience. Wanting somebody from the private sector is in no way discrimination, it's just a kind of experience you are seeking.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Have to be honest here... I've done lot's of CV checking and interviews and the PS people never make it to Interview stage....
    Let's be honest here, that is nothing short of professional discrimination.

Leave a comment:

• andyg
    replied
    YBS @ Leeds

Originally posted by ISL View Post
    For a while and especially since I have become the stuffed turkey, I have been looking at other contracts that utilise the same skills as those used in my current surroundings. i.e. Business Analyst with masses of change expertise and recently project management as I held three post before the rest of the team came on board. My CV is relatively good (I Think) yet no one seems interest in a BA with 10 years (Multiple) NHS experience with several versions of EPR, eDocumenting Systems (Records) and the usual skills around the work of the BA.
    I happen to know that they are looking (as someone who was working on the same programme as me has just left them - PM me and I'll give you the name of their senior BA who hires).

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Have to be honest here... I've done lot's of CV checking and interviews and the PS people never make it to Interview stage....

Leave a comment:

• coolhandluke
    replied
    NHS Digital in Leeds might be a good shout.

Leave a comment:

• PermieToContractorAndBack
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post

I'm a Project Manager but I can also write some code but I'm tulip at writing code so why would I put it on my CV?
    Because sometimes you only need to have an affinity with something, you don't have to be an expert but it sure helps if you understand what the software engineers are talking about. A lot of BAs and PMs don't. They are 'not technical' (I hate that phrase).

I find the idea of only putting core competencies on a CV a bit old school.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This is the problem for me. Once a BA starts thinking he's also equally skilled a PM I just shut down. What exactly does your CV sell you as. Some people say you are only as good as your last gig. If you show a single, or maybe two PM roles and then it switches back to BA your CV will most likely go in the bin. You'll be up against BA's with constant BA experience and PM's with nothing but solid PM gigs. Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.
    Completely agree - Business Analyst and Project Management skills are two very different profiles and I throw any BA CV in the bin if they mention they are a Project Manager as well.

Great BA's are very hard to come by and I'm always amazed at how a really good BA can help bring stability to a large and complex project.

Remember you are supposed to be a contractor - selling your skills at a premium to a highly competitive market. To be successful as a contractor you need to strive to be the best at what you do.

I'm a Project Manager but I can also write some code but I'm tulip at writing code so why would I put it on my CV?

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    For a while and especially since I have become the stuffed turkey, I have been looking at other contracts that utilise the same skills as those used in my current surroundings. i.e. Business Analyst with masses of change expertise and recently project management as I held three post before the rest of the team came on board. My CV is relatively good (I Think) yet no one seems interest in a BA with 10 years (Multiple) NHS experience with several versions of EPR, eDocumenting Systems (Records) and the usual skills around the work of the BA.
    Would it be worth getting a short contract with a low(er) day rate in order to get some varied experience for your CV?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
    Er......why would you want to? The public sector is not some sort of resume stain. There isn’t a two tier system where the best gigs only go to people who’ve worked predominantly in the private sector, despite what some would have you believe. Don’t talk yourself down!

Isn’t the NHS the third largest employer in the world? With annual revenues of £150 billion or something crazy like that? Constantly changing, always chasing the next fad, non-stop reorgs.
    The biggest corporations in the world are fighting like mad to get a slice of this pie and you want to bail out of it? And for what? A gig at startuppatientrecords.com because it’s private sector?
    Imagine you had been working at startuppatientrecords.com. You would be slavering at the opportunities the NHS offered and would give your right arm to break into it.

Play up your successes. And don’t think of your public sector experience as something that you need to “shake off”. It's something you should be proud of.
    I think you are taking the terminology slightly wrong. He's talking about not being pigeon holed and his pure NHS experience being a problem when he applies for a private sector gig. It's a valid concern and something any contractor would want. Yes NHS might have a lot of money and work but to be a one trick pony when working for yourself is not the best place to be. Nothing wrong with planning ahead and being able to pick up work with other clients outside the NHS if need be.

Leave a comment:

• HugeWhale
    replied
    Er......why would you want to? The public sector is not some sort of resume stain. There isn’t a two tier system where the best gigs only go to people who’ve worked predominantly in the private sector, despite what some would have you believe. Don’t talk yourself down!

Isn’t the NHS the third largest employer in the world? With annual revenues of £150 billion or something crazy like that? Constantly changing, always chasing the next fad, non-stop reorgs.
    The biggest corporations in the world are fighting like mad to get a slice of this pie and you want to bail out of it? And for what? A gig at startuppatientrecords.com because it’s private sector?
    Imagine you had been working at startuppatientrecords.com. You would be slavering at the opportunities the NHS offered and would give your right arm to break into it.

Play up your successes. And don’t think of your public sector experience as something that you need to “shake off”. It's something you should be proud of.

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    I think you have 2 problems: one is sector [predominantly public], and other is skillset [multiple & varied].

I'd consider tailoring CV to the relevant role to address the 'skillset' problem, i.e. ditch PM references if you're going for BA roles, and vice versa for PM roles.

Good point, well made:

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.
    I think their motto is 'if in doubt, sling it out'

Sadly, you're at the mercy of the agent on both counts but at least by eliminating one of the 2 problems it puts you in a better position.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    This is the problem for me. Once a BA starts thinking he's also equally skilled a PM I just shut down. What exactly does your CV sell you as. Some people say you are only as good as your last gig. If you show a single, or maybe two PM roles and then it switches back to BA your CV will most likely go in the bin. You'll be up against BA's with constant BA experience and PM's with nothing but solid PM gigs. Start flirting between the two and some dumb ass agent isn't going to know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    10 years of EPR and EDMS experience is some serious industry and domain expertise which commands a premium. If you are desperate to leave the public sector you could stay in health. Private healthcare would take you but it is a small market. The system vendors would take you but typically take permies. Maybe your EDMS Experience is transferable to other industries.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Get yourself with NHS Digital and dig your way out from there.

Digital will trump NHS at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    How difficult is it to shake off the public sector image

Very hard. I read a lot of CVs and someone who’s only ever been in PS is a risk. Not impossible mind. A perfect match for a CV will outweigh PS issues and get you shortlisted. Once shortlisted it’s up to you how you come across.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X