• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractor to Permanent for the Same Company"

Collapse

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by btcc2000 View Post
    They wont call anyone back, they started getting rid a long time ago and none of the contractors have come back as the roles have been filled with perms. It would be exactly the same with my job and I quite like the security of holiday/sick pay etc
    Oh, that old illusion of security in a perm job, the most secure I've felt is when contracting. Also you should set a rate that allows for holiday\(short term) sick, I wouldn't be looking at that as a reason to go perm.

anyway fill your boots
    Last edited by gables; 22 August 2017, 09:11.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by le3ky View Post
    Yes do it. Ask for the holiday days (how many you ask for I would say is dependent on how much you think they want/like/need you) but forget the redundancy question.
    Or just ask to work 4 days a week.

Leave a comment:

• l35kee
    replied
    Yes do it. Ask for the holiday days (how many you ask for I would say is dependent on how much you think they want/like/need you) but forget the redundancy question.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    They wont call anyone back, they started getting rid a long time ago and none of the contractors have come back as the roles have been filled with perms. It would be exactly the same with my job and I quite like the security of holiday/sick pay etc
    Good luck. Sounds like you already know your answer.

Leave a comment:

• btcc2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Then leave. They'll be back on the phone after 6 months when they can't fill the places and/or the staff churn leaves them short.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yea I'm going to just accept it, no biggy starting from fresh really.

Whats the crack with this IR35, I've been using an accountant to sort the business out
    Take the gig, be a permie as you seem to be better at that and just hope the IR35 thing dies so you don't have to worry about it. It will be much easier that way. Good luck with the new job. Make sure you clean their training budget out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    As for the OP's IR35 status. If he is inside then that boat has already sailed, and ought not have a bearing on this decision IMO. The customer's reasoning (and budget) does have a major bearing though.
    I think everyone except the OP is aware of his IR35 status.. including HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• btcc2000
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And holiday pay and whatever other benefits. You are a contractor, you supplied a service and got paid. That's over. There is no link between what you did and what they are offering. It's a job offer. If you like the offer take it, if you don't tell them what you'd be prepared to take and see where it goes. Don't try and offer a package equivalent to a contractor, it just won't wash as they also have extra costs on top of that so they'll be financially worse off.

Forget this bloody rubbish about being made redundant and time spent.

Up to you now.......

Just make sure you've got IR35 insurance in place.... <gulp>
    Yea I'm going to just accept it, no biggy starting from fresh really.

Whats the crack with this IR35, I've been using an accountant to sort the business out

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I don't have a choice, they are getting rid of all long term contractors. Yes I'll be at a loss financially but at least i'll get sick pay.
    Then leave. They'll be back on the phone after 6 months when they can't fill the places and/or the staff churn leaves them short.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Contractors aren't the expensive option like some people think.
    That's what I keep telling people who don't like the perception they are paid less.
    In fact I reckon that most organisations I've contracted for (and permed) the increased cost illusion of contractors is perpetuated by jealous middle-management who don't actually know the numbers.

CFOs love us as we're only 1 week away from being binned.

As for the OP's IR35 status. If he is inside then that boat has already sailed, and ought not have a bearing on this decision IMO. The customer's reasoning (and budget) does have a major bearing though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I don't have a choice, they are getting rid of all long term contractors. Yes I'll be at a loss financially but at least i'll get sick pay.
    And holiday pay and whatever other benefits. You are a contractor, you supplied a service and got paid. That's over. There is no link between what you did and what they are offering. It's a job offer. If you like the offer take it, if you don't tell them what you'd be prepared to take and see where it goes. Don't try and offer a package equivalent to a contractor, it just won't wash as they also have extra costs on top of that so they'll be financially worse off.

Forget this bloody rubbish about being made redundant and time spent.

Up to you now.......

Just make sure you've got IR35 insurance in place.... <gulp>

Leave a comment:

• btcc2000
    replied
    Why don't you just continue to contract for them? They want you and have been happy paying you up till now.
    Are they going to get you cheaper as a perm? If so then tell 'em to stick it. If not then why are they offering?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why don't you just continue to contract for them? They want you and have been happy paying you up till now.
    Are they going to get you cheaper as a perm? If so then tell 'em to stick it. If not then why are they offering?
    Because he's clearly inside and he doesn't understand what he's doing?

Worth finding out what they are offering at the very least surely. Could be tasty, you never know. When you say cheaper remember there are hidden costs to a permie so it's not all about the remuneration if you are doing a comparison. Contractors aren't the expensive option like some people think.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Having been with the same company for some time, they have now offered me a permanent position. I was wondering if its possible to get any perks brought into my contract

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by le3ky View Post
    But what you can say is "I want an extra x days on top of the normal starting because the amount of free time is one of the reasons I became a contractor, and I do not want to give that up" to join your wonderful company, so this would be a sticking block for me".

If that happens to coincide with the amount you'd get after n years service, it isn't your problem.
    Worded like that it does keep them separate, agreed. The extra years for redundancy might be trickier though? Like I said in my post, maybe I'm thick\naïve\missing a trick or whatever, but I'd just start the same way any new start begins, the main negotiating point for me would be salary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X