• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "An old client has an emergency and you save them, what would you charge?"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This.

But not this

CUK and watching TV .... Multi-tasking is not my strength

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    If it's a total one off, and little chance of future work, then maximise the engagement (1.5 / double time extra). If there is a chance of further future work, then maximise your chance of that by setting rate than you (and the client) know is not a p1sstake. Only you will know your client and the best way to maximise your current and future revenue.
    This.

Good look
    But not this

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    If it's a total one off, and little chance of future work, then maximise the engagement (1.5 / double time extra). If there is a chance of further future work, then maximise your chance of that by setting rate than you (and the client) know is not a p1sstake. Only you will know your client and the best way to maximise your current and future revenue.

Good luck

[Edit: poor grammar]
    Last edited by Whorty; 12 April 2017, 12:11.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    No, he was an accountant.
    <yawn>

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Overtime as a permie. What were you, a bus driver?
    No, he was an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This but I personally don't like those terms. Have a rate card with different rates for different times. Make Sundays more than Saturdays if you really hate working Sundays etc.
    Using time and a half etc reminds me too much of my permie days (shudder)
    Overtime as a permie. What were you, a bus driver?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    For zero back. Bugger that.....TOIL in at least.

New client has asked me to work a few hours on bank hol monday. I said yeh no problem thinking I'd charge half day rate - they offered a "few days pay".
    Did you not read his sentence above the one in bold? There has to be a reason he would do that. WIB isn't as one dimensional as you are.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 April 2017, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    A little bit one-sided in the answers here.

Very simply, it depends on what the relationship is worth to you.

I have a client for whom I would put in 70 hour weeks for a month and simply charge my usual hourly rate, if they were in a desperate bind. Mind you, I'd be very clear with them that I was doing that for them.

I have other clients I'd charge at double rate for evenings and weekend work.
    For zero back. Bugger that.....TOIL in at least.

New client has asked me to work a few hours on bank hol monday. I said yeh no problem thinking I'd charge half day rate - they offered a "few days pay".

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    A little bit one-sided in the answers here.

Very simply, it depends on what the relationship is worth to you.

I have a client for whom I would put in 70 hour weeks for a month and simply charge my usual hourly rate, if they were in a desperate bind. Mind you, I'd be very clear with them that I was doing that for them.

I have other clients I'd charge at double rate for evenings and weekend work.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    You are worth whatever it would cost them to get someone to fix it in an acceptable timeframe and still be worthwhile to their business. Most businesses wouldn't hesitate to undercut you, bear in mind repeat business etc. but always charge what the market will bear. Apple get away with it, you can too.

I hate employee suggestion schemes were the company give you a £50 gift voucher for saving them £1M over a year. It's treating staff as idiots.
    Last edited by BigRed; 11 April 2017, 23:46.

Leave a comment:

• SeededLoaf
    replied
    What could you get away with charging?

"Ah yes I can resolve their problem. However I'm incredibly busy at the moment with other commitments. I'd need to reschedule other business. I'd be happy to do it for ..."

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    We're supposed to be businessmen.

For quite a while I contracted for a software/recruitment company. It was owned by a bloke who was a multi-millionaire.

He started out by doing some work for one part of somebody like British Leyland. Another part wanted the same thing and it involved next to no changes to the original solution. However he didn't charge time-and-a-half for the minor changes.

He charged the whole cost over again.

You need to know how badly they need this work done and then come up with an appropriate figure.

Then double it

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I had something similar. Took me a couple of hours to fix - we'd agreed I could charge day rate for the work.

Leave a comment:

• The GreenFox
    replied
    Cheers Guys - just the sensible option then

N

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Anti social?

Evenings time and a half, weekend double time

Simple.
    This but I personally don't like those terms. Have a rate card with different rates for different times. Make Sundays more than Saturdays if you really hate working Sundays etc.
    Using time and a half etc reminds me too much of my permie days (shudder)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X