• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Security Check (SC) Help!"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    I think I made that clear already...
    I'm missing something......

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Anyone else think it's not just the dates??
    I think I made that clear already...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Look here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/.../20...ide_CTC-SC.pdf

There seems to be no employment history question, just don't fricking lie in future.
    Anyone else think it's not just the dates??

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Look here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/.../20...ide_CTC-SC.pdf

There seems to be no employment history question, just don't fricking lie in future.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I don't see a huge problem here, it sounds like you simply made a mistake and got dates mixed up. It would be much more serious if you hadn't worked there.
    I would say nothing and if they question it just say "whoops"

If someone were to hand me a CV and the companies were correct but it was one year out I would simply assume a typo.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Phooji View Post
    Hi,

I have been SC cleared in various organisations for about 13-14 years so I know the process well. I've also acted as a hiring manager for 100's of individuals going through this process.
    So have I...

What you have said about your job dates is highly unlikely to get flagged at all. The SC clearance is more focused around crime or lies about financial problems.
    They are looking for things you could be bribed or extorted over.

If you want my honest opinion, I don't think anything would come of it. And if your reference is matching the same date then how do you think anyone would find out differently?

Something very weird and extreme would have to happen.
    Possibly. But can we not discuss the scenarios involved in clearance please? For example Police SC vetting is likely to take more notice of honesty than MOD's exposure to coercion.

We've answered the OP's questions as best we can, let's leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• Phooji
    replied
    Hi,

I have been SC cleared in various organisations for about 13-14 years so I know the process well. I've also acted as a hiring manager for 100's of individuals going through this process.

What you have said about your job dates is highly unlikely to get flagged at all. The SC clearance is more focused around crime or lies about financial problems.
    They are looking for things you could be bribed or extorted over.

If you want my honest opinion, I don't think anything would come of it. And if your reference is matching the same date then how do you think anyone would find out differently?

Something very weird and extreme would have to happen.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Oh.. I'd tell your friend what's going on because he's given a fraudulent reference which could also be pretty bad.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    To someone it's an exaggeration, to someone else it's fraudulent. Really stupid thing to do and it's gonna quite rightly come back and bite you.

To continue with your lie.means you are making a false declaration which is pretty serious in any situation let alone when security is concerned.

IMO i'd fess up. There might be a slight chance they may actually take pity and carry on. If you don't you are risking a lot and at risk of getting binned on the spot and worse.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Max2dapower
    I have nothing in my history at all to cause any concern...

I have never committed a crime, and neither has my family.
    My finances are good and so are my partners and my family.
    There is nothing to make me high risk in anyways.

This is really depressing me, and all caused by a stupid small exaggeration.
    OK, now you know why it's serious, the question is what to do about it. I suggest you fill in the SC forms accurately and see what happens.

Clearance is basically a risk assessment; to a large extent it depends on what risks and what levels of risk they are willing to take. Not being truthful is, fairly obviously, not the way to do it. So be honest and see what happens. Chances are you'll be fine, but nobody is going to promise that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Max2dapower View Post
    My employment looks like...

2004-2013 Job A
    2013-2016 Job B
    2016 - now current role

What it really is...

2004 - 2014 Job A
    2014 - 2016 Job B
    2016 - current role.

I wasn't out of work, just a year exaggerated which trust me I seriously regret.

Am I ruined or will my 2 Job A and B references hold up?
    Be honest. You'll probably be OK if your references backup the truth (and you're not a high risk tuliphead).
    Your BPSS information was simply a mistake rather than a deliberate deception wasn't it????????

Leave a comment:

• Max2dapower
    replied
    Malvolio you are correct.

I should not even be asking this.

Leave a comment:

• Max2dapower
    replied
    This post has been answered
    Last edited by Max2dapower; 5 January 2017, 18:23.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    The SC test is basically "Can we risk telling this guy secret stuff". Telling lies is not a good start. Telling the truth now may be the better option and then see what happens but be prepared for a swift return to the bench. And you had better have a damn good provable explanation for what you were doing in your phantom employment period. And coercing others to piss about with clearance issues is a serious no no, as well as being illegal.

Contractors trade on skills and honesty. You're not off to a good start are you?

As for "How does it work", don't be stupid. That is not in the public domain and never will be, to stop idiots trying to game the system
    Last edited by malvolio; 4 January 2017, 19:35.

Leave a comment:

• Max2dapower
    replied
    Why am I screwed?

Do they contact HMRC? How does it work?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X