• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• agentzero
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

What a moronic thing to say. People moan because services are already incredibly expensive while being utter tulipe. If you give them extra money they will waste it on trash nobody wants such as cycle lanes, rewilding city centers, 20 mph speed limits etc.

What we really need is a reimagined system where people select which services they wish to contribute to and that is the amount they have to spend. If only 5% want a cycle lane, but 90% want a weekly bin emptying, then that's what we get. Not the opposite where the vast majority get their bins emptied once a fortnight but there are unused cycle lanes everywhere.
    England doesn't have high tax rates. They are among the lowest in Europe in comparison to countries nearby. So yeah, not comparing us to poor Latvia.

Pay more, get more.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied

What a moronic thing to say. People moan because services are already incredibly expensive while being utter tulipe. If you give them extra money they will waste it on trash nobody wants such as cycle lanes, rewilding city centers, 20 mph speed limits etc.

What we really need is a reimagined system where people select which services they wish to contribute to and that is the amount they have to spend. If only 5% want a cycle lane, but 90% want a weekly bin emptying, then that's what we get. Not the opposite where the vast majority get their bins emptied once a fortnight but there are unused cycle lanes everywhere.
    What a moronic thing to say.

Let's imagine people decided they didn't fancy contributing to national defence - the first responsibility of a government.
    We've already seen what happens when we govern by referendum.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied

I will engage with you when you learn to keep a civil tongue in your head.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

We already pay £8 billion in road tax and £25Billion in fuel duty. Our roads should not have that many pot holes.
    Neither of which directly goes towards road maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

What a moronic thing to say. I constantly moan because I'm a petulant, self centered twat. If you give them extra money they will waste it on trash I don't want such as cycle lanes, rewilding city centers, 20 mph speed limits etc.

What I really need is a good slap round the head.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    The Truss/Kwarteng mini-budget was exciting but that wasn't exactly a good thing. The new government need to set their stall out and hopefully start to rebuild confidence.

A lot of the people moaning about tax rises are the same people who moan about pot holes and public services not being great. Something has to give.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    same people who moan about pot holes
    We already pay £8 billion in road tax and £25Billion in fuel duty. Our roads should not have that many pot holes.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    The Truss/Kwarteng mini-budget was exciting but that wasn't exactly a good thing. The new government need to set their stall out and hopefully start to rebuild confidence.

A lot of the people moaning about tax rises are the same people who moan about pot holes and public services not being great. Something has to give.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If a project needs to be done, the requirement doesn't magically go away, but if you don't know what changes the budget may bring which could influence certain decisions then it's right to hold off a short while.
    Yeah, I agree with that. On a personal level, it's similar to when you have a fixed rate mortgage which is ending soon: it's prudent to wait until you know what your new monthly payments will be before you buy a new car.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Right. Going to the gym. Market is ****ed, hardcore you know the score.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I don't necessarily think the budget will make anyone excited or enthusiastic but I suspect it's more that people and companies will know what is coming and how it affects them once all the announcements have been made and the analysis done.

If a project needs to be done, the requirement doesn't magically go away, but if you don't know what changes the budget may bring which could influence certain decisions then it's right to hold off a short while.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    well. someone's got to replace all the wonga the Torys gave to their chums in 2020.
    Agreed and I'm personally not surprised the plan is to get the monies from somewhere, but at the same time cannot get why some people think this particular budget will somehow zap the markets back into action. They do have to put some stuff in there to not completely kill the economy, but I think the priority atm is to get more cash in the budget rather than make it easier for companies to get more cash in their budgets.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    well. someone's got to replace all the wonga the Torys gave to their chums in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've had a couple of calls from agents who seem to be sorting out their bank of available contractors; I presume in the hope that post-budget there will be work coming
    Not sure where those sentiments are coming from as everyone seems to think the budget will be effectively tulip load of taxes :/

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Just got offered an extension on my contract until next Sep. For context, I'm a PM, the client is a mid-sized insurance firm and the role is (almost) fully remote. This will probably be the last extension as the two main projects I'm doing now should both be close to BAU by then.

They've been trying to hire permie PMs and BAs for ages but haven't managed to find anyone that fits the bill and has insurance experience, for the pay they're willing to offer. The project sponsor asked if I would be interested in joining as a permie, I diplomatically declined.

Interestingly, they've also got two PMs on temporary secondment (if that is the right way to describe it) from a Big4 firm. Unsure as to how exactly they are paid.
    Last edited by sreed; Yesterday, 12:47.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X