• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Disaster strikes and we are moving from 2->3 days in the office from July.
    Oh no. Just when it gets hot and humid and you want to be sitting in the garden in shorts with a lemonade and ice keeping an eye on your mobile for work messages.

Leave a comment:

• willendure
    replied
    Been sending my CV for a few jobs recently that I had quite a strong match for. After some initial enthusiasm (car salesman like) from the recruitment agent that I would be one of only 2 put forward, it still fizzled out and they opted to interview candidates with most industry experience first, rather than just go by the tech skill set. I guess when they get 100s of applications they can be as choosy as they like and tick off all of their desired experience criteria.

I think what bothers me about all this is that I am starting to get a feeling like I might be over the hill as a contractor. I'm 48. In the first 20 years of my career, I seemed to be able to talk my way into anything tech related. My dad held cradle-to-grave type employment when he was starting out in the UKs defense industry, but left to become a contractor. His advice was be a contractor when you are young but get into something more reliable before you get too old, and he certainly found it harder to find contracts as he got over 60. Possibly an issue our generation faces that his did not to the same extent, is that tech is evolving ever faster. As a chartered engineer in his generation, things certainly changed, but just not at the pace it is for us.

A friend, same age as me is on the bench, and had a couple of interviews by 25 year olds from which he was promptly rejected.

Old dogs need some new tricks?

Leave a comment:

• Cookielove
    replied
    M&S and Waitrose take on older workers…also B&Q.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Disaster strikes and we are moving from 2->3 days in the office from July.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
    Think the supermarkets prefer to employ students over older people as well. My son, was able to find a part time job with Tesco pretty easily.
    Older people are better for pickers and delivery drivers. However there has been a massive decline in online supermarket deliveries.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Sainsbury's don't ask your age but the rest do apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    Surely that can't be the case? In The Times today, Jeremy Hunt and Mel Stride tell us that the jobs are there if people want them...
    I think there are plenty of non "cushy" minimum wage job around that are hard to fill. Most of these require some leg work/hard graft. Like deliveroo or factory work, picking strawberries etc

Supermarket and retail shop floor jobs and are considered cushy in comparison and much easier to fill. The big retail chains also pay 10 to 20% above minimum wage for entry level roles making them even more attractive.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Yesterday, 15:38.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Still finding naff all that's not insurance, FS, needs SC/DV, or other bar to entry for a general noddy role.

I suspect my part time hours this month will be reduced to zero hours next month so I need to find something or learn how to shelf stack in Morrisons.
    I would call myself a generalist, which worked very well when the market was good but is a real handicap when the market is in the state it is now.

Pharma is another sector advertising a lot of jobs but sector experience is needed 95% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

With the levels immigration at the moment, the large supermarket brands get 100s of online applications per shelf stacking role and first dibs get given to insider referrals. So just like the contracting market at the moment your application doesn't even get opened most of the time.

Driving delivery jobs might be easier to 'walk into', someone i know was telling me they cant find van delivery drivers even though were paying £17 per hour in west london. Pre brexit he never had problems finding drivers.
    I was surprised to hear a friend tell me his son got his HGV licence last year and now earns more than his dad in IT (who is a fairly well paid IT manager).

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Sounds like Only Fans
    To be fair, Only Fans creators probably earn more than many contractors now LOL.

A friend of mine has a child in their early 20s on there making a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Think the supermarkets prefer to employ students over older people as well. My son, was able to find a part time job with Tesco pretty easily.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Surely that can't be the case? In The Times today, Jeremy Hunt and Mel Stride tell us that the jobs are there if people want them...

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    During covid I applied for various supermarket jobs - got turned down for everything. I know it's just a (lazy) shorthand but don't assume you can just walk into those jobs.
    I can attest to that. My retired neighbour had the same idea, but it took him a few months to finally land a PT contract at the local Aldi.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    During covid I applied for various supermarket jobs - got turned down for everything. I know it's just a (lazy) shorthand but don't assume you can just walk into those jobs.
    With the levels immigration at the moment, the large supermarket brands get 100s of online applications per shelf stacking role and first dibs get given to insider referrals. So just like the contracting market at the moment your application doesn't even get opened most of the time.

Driving delivery jobs might be easier to 'walk into', someone i know was telling me they cant find van delivery drivers even though were paying £17 per hour in west london. Pre brexit he never had problems finding drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X