• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Would have been ten times easier just to say it wasn't happening.
    Power is not given up easily.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    To prove that sometimes there is an exception to every rule I have an interview tomorrow for a contract that I first had conversations about at the beginning of December before it got 'paused' so once in a while these things come back to life.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

My thoughts precisely. Like few others here, I have never chased up an agent to know the 'status' of an interview or an application. You can easily smell the likelihood based on events, messages, tone, seriousness, urgency etc., immediately after the interview or even before it
    In fairness the guy said at the end of the interview that it went well and people being off work with a virus isn't uncommon at the moment so this was slightly unusual but generally I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    I still don't understand the mindset of people (contractors) chasing up applications or interview feedback.

No news is bad news. If they want you, you can be damn well sure they'll be trying every method to get in touch. I remember a recruiter sending me a 1st class letter back in Dec 2012 to tell me to get in touch as I had been ignoring their calls
    A few years ago I never heard back from an interview. For some reason the agent either went into the denial that it wasn't happening or just refused to tell me. I actually had another contract lined up so out of morbid curiosity prodded them with an e-mail or two a week for a month and they resolutely refused to confirm it was a dead duck.

Would have been ten times easier just to say it wasn't happening.

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    I still don't understand the mindset of people (contractors) chasing up applications or interview feedback.

No news is bad news. If they want you, you can be damn well sure they'll be trying every method to get in touch. I remember a recruiter sending me a 1st class letter back in Dec 2012 to tell me to get in touch as I had been ignoring their calls
    My thoughts precisely. Like few others here, I have never chased up an agent to know the 'status' of an interview or an application. You can easily smell the likelihood based on events, messages, tone, seriousness, urgency etc., immediately after the interview or even before it

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

After a while you know when you are in the running and when your face doesn't fit.

I sometimes follow up interviews that I felt went well. Working for banks open headcount comes and goes all the time and I have been approached for a role month after an interview.

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Was due to have an interview last Thursday but got (virtually) stood up, which as one can imagine annoyed me. However agent rearranged for the next day (apparently the guy got involved in a release, and was seemingly so busy they couldn't send a one word message postponing it) and it went well according to the feedback and what I thought.

Reasonably enough they were talking to another couple of people Monday and Tuesday so was expecting to hear middle of last week. When this rolls round I try and get hold of the agent (who seems to refer LinkedIn messenger rather than picking up the phone, which is another irritation). Eventually get a response that my interviewer is off with a non-Covid virus, delaying things. So far as I can gather he was off all of last week.

Eventually wanting to put this to bed dropped the agent a line this morning. Apparently was about to get in touch to tell me they want to consider me for something else but didn't know the timescale.

So to sumamrise:
    • Recruitment processes that start badly won't get any better. If someone wants to show who the are with their first impression, believe them.
    • Recruitment agents, and this one has been around for ages so isn't in the phone salesman up until last month category, don't actually seem to want to talk to people anymore.
    • If there are a series of unlikely events, your suspicions are probably correct, but to avoid this being a problem......
    • As soon as you have finished an interview, give the agent feedback but unless they come back to you with any questions don't invest anymore time or effort into the process.
    I know this is nothing new to anyone of any experience on here, but worth repeating. Onwards to the interview I have tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

This doesn't really tell anyone anything
    It's in context with the other 700+ pages of moaning then.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

Not sure if serious...

Wasn't sure who would catch that bit.

Leave a comment:

• cmscotland
    replied

This doesn't really tell anyone anything unless you say what sort of role you do, and perhaps which part of the country.
    I'm a Technical BA - in Edinburgh

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Yes, the loss of the allowance means the combined Tax and NI rate for Inside gigs for earnings between 100K and 125K is almost 70%.
    60% income tax, 3% employees NI and 15% employers NI.

If I were an inside contractor on target to bill around 125K for the tax year (after maxing out my Pension contributions), i would look book enough time off throughout the year to make sure I bill only 100K instead. Better to take the time off rather than pay an almost 70% marginal tax rate.
    Full £40k in the pension sorts that, surely? If you're not, you should be.

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied

This doesn't really tell anyone anything unless you say what sort of role you do, and perhaps which part of the country.
    Not sure if serious...

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
    I finished up at a client on Hogmanay; and didn't really start looking until then; ended up with 3x interviews for roles and 3x offers with better rates and terms (Outside IR35) than my previous contract so I'm pretty happy although my time off is a little shorter than I'd initially planned; still there's bugger all to do in January anyway!

Leave a comment:

• cmscotland
    replied
    I finished up at a client on Hogmanay; and didn't really start looking until then; ended up with 3x interviews for roles and 3x offers with better rates and terms (Outside IR35) than my previous contract so I'm pretty happy although my time off is a little shorter than I'd initially planned; still there's bugger all to do in January anyway!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X