• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Put fwd at £x, now at face-to-face stage, want £x+50"

Collapse

• fidot
    replied
    It's just not realistic to quote a binding price before the interview. We've all been to interviews where the details don't match what was in the "spec" the agency provided (whosever fault that was). Quoting a range before the interview and doing the rate negotiation immediately after the client says yes has always worked well for me.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    The agent will pull you if you start ******* them around, especially if he's got an exclusive arrangement. He'll just tell client co that you've withdrawn your interest.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Because the agent gives 3 flying tulipes about your "business case" and will cave immediately...

Boo
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Eh?
    seems clear to me.

Boo is saying the agent won't give 2 tulips about whatever business case the OP might make to get an extra £50 a day.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Because the agent gives 3 flying tulipes about your "business case" and will cave immediately...

Boo
    Eh?

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    For £50 a day extra I wouldn't really make a fuss but if you do want to then I suggest you develop a business case:

Boo

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you've offered x, and you want x+50 or 100 that's equivalent to pulling out.

Or, it's the equivalent of being greedy and deciding that if they want you they'll pay more than you said you'd accept. i.e. gazumping.

"Oh so you'll pay £25,000 for my car? In that case it's £30,000"

No. if that's your attitude, you'll not get many gigs.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by fidot View Post
    A valid reason to negotiate might be that the interview exposed that the client required more than the job spec mentioned. I think you have a better chance of negotiating based on what the client has mentioned during the interview rather than the "market rate" argument.
    I'm with this, which is why I try to negotiate a rate range with agent prior to interview and then agree it after once I have all the facts about the role. However, if I'd agreed a specific rate up front, it's either that or walk.
    Last edited by gables; 29 January 2016, 13:17.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    If you've offered x, and you want x+50 or 100 that's equivalent to pulling out. As others have said if you do that they'll prefer any candidate that is on or below that rate.

I would put yourself forward for the other roles and if the market is bouyant, you'll have an offer or at least have been for interviews by the end of next week.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    If you're happy to be put forward at £x, man up and accept that £x is what you'll be getting for that contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    For £50 a day extra I wouldn't really make a fuss but if you do want to then I suggest you develop a business case:

- My expertise in project x saved y days and ensured it was delivered early / on time
    - I fixed this system and saved you ££
    - I developed report A in 3 days but the offshore Bob's took 3 weeks to deliver similar report
    That's probably not going to work as the client will have a rate card and expects the above out of a contract as standard. I'd guess in this situation it's the agents cut he needs to eat in to and the agent doesn't give a monkies about any of that.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied

- My expertise in project x saved y days and ensured it was delivered early / on time
    - I fixed this system and saved you ££
    - I developed report A in 3 days but the offshore Bob's took 3 weeks to deliver similar report

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    Turn your nose up at this rate, each week you spend looking for a new £50 higher one will cost you 50 days to make up to the rate you want - don't sell out man

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Your culinary equipment is overpriced!
    , maybe he's got one of those fancy Tom Daley 5 section frying pans!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I see gigs advertised from 275 to 600 for my skillet...

Your culinary equipment is overpriced!

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Also who says what market rate is nowadays? I see gigs advertised from 275 to 600 for my skillet and location doesn't seem to make much difference. I've taken a gig at nearly 75 quid a day less than the previous one because it was where I wanted and good experience. Turned out to be one of the nicest gigs I've been on and well worth the rate drop. Not everything is about the money.
    This ^
    My rate has went up and down like Andyw's mum's knickers but I try to fit with what the client can afford. If it's a small place or public sector I am more sympathetic as long as the agent isn't at it. I actually enjoy going and making the client's IT systems better as long as I get above a minimum Im happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X