• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Decisions decisions"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Not a perm fan myself but OP I think you're off your head here.

One thing that does put me off perm sometimes is that, even if I can convince someone to pay me a high enough salary then they'll want to own me for paying this money. Lots of clients seem happy to pay a contractor £100s per day and work 7.5/8 hours but wont be happy if a £50-£60K permie doesnt work loads extra for free.

BUT you seem to to have cracked it at this client. Easy life, less stress, seeing kids more etc means more to me than money. No brainer for me.

And don't listen to the Mrs. Of course, she wants you to keep contracting if its more money. She aint the one doing the commute/work is she?

My Mrs is the same. Happy to spend money etc because she aint the one doing the long commute to pay for it. I'd always say do whats best for you and your family but keep an eye on what works for you too....

Bottom line as well. You can't take it with you. All well and good paying off the mortgage and being minted but its no good to you when your dead.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    She is the MD
    Of your life!!!! But she is also correct

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    FTFY
    She is the MD

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Not cut out to be a permie it seems. Nice one and happy contracting!

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.

I have spoken to the director and discussed the benefits package and wasn't overly keen as everything seemed to stem from the salary. Being a seasoned contractor I've not negotiated salaries before and my naive assumption was that benefits come on top. 2% min for pension, healthcare, life cover, injury cover would all come from the Gross.

There is also a waiting list for permies to park their cars as there isn't enough space that I wasn't aware of. I'm also growing tired of Fannyborough and its delightful town center.

The MD has informed me to get in touch in the future should I wish to come back which is is good to hear however I shall be departing for pastures new.

Yes, the 80k will be the "package", comprising a lower actual salary plus company car, pension, health etc. etc.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I had a chat with the wife.

The MD has informed me to get in touch in the future should I wish to come back which is is good to hear however I shall be departing for pastures new.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.

I have spoken to the director and discussed the benefits package and wasn't overly keen as everything seemed to stem from the salary. Being a seasoned contractor I've not negotiated salaries before and my naive assumption was that benefits come on top. 2% min for pension, healthcare, life cover, injury cover would all come from the Gross.

There is also a waiting list for permies to park their cars as there isn't enough space that I wasn't aware of. I'm also growing tired of Fannyborough and its delightful town center.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Also it might worth taking it for a year to see how the IR35 situation pans out. If they properly screw it up you could be absolutely laughing.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    80K is the limit I'm afraid.

The mortgage is done 50/50 with the other half however contracting will help pay lot off sooner.

I've had a good ride with this one but will probably incline towards moving on.

BTW Family situation is we are expecting and Mrs is taking a year off. Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
    80k isn't enough ? WTF!?

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    If you have children don't forget you will lose £2k or so in child benefit... Not that it should affect you decision but its something many people seem to forget...
    ??

edit: oh, because he's only earning 43k as a contractor

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    80K is the limit I'm afraid.

The mortgage is done 50/50 with the other half however contracting will help pay lot off sooner.

I've had a good ride with this one but will probably incline towards moving on.

BTW Family situation is we are expecting and Mrs is taking a year off. Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
    I think you should take the permie position, you will have a stable platform, close to home, enjoy your family bro. £80k is loads of dosh in the real world. Take it.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    This has all come into mind NL
    If you have children don't forget you will lose £2k or so in child benefit... Not that it should affect you decision but its something many people seem to forget...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    Why have you even started the thread?
    She has already decided for you.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Just some other things to consider... It will give you an opportunity to shut the company and get some tax savings when withdrawing the money which could up the net income from 6 months perm. Chance of training and possibly wrangling some more skills/training.
    Any benchtime between end of this gig and next will also serious dent the potential contract earnings you are planning in etc.
    This has all come into mind NL

Leave a comment:

• MattZani
    replied
    Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
    Why have you even started the thread?
    She has already decided for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X