• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    80K is the limit I'm afraid.

The mortgage is done 50/50 with the other half however contracting will help pay lot off sooner.

I've had a good ride with this one but will probably incline towards moving on.

BTW Family situation is we are expecting and Mrs is taking a year off. Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
    80k isn't enough ? WTF!?

Comment

Also it might worth taking it for a year to see how the IR35 situation pans out. If they properly screw it up you could be absolutely laughing.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I have spoken to the director and discussed the benefits package and wasn't overly keen as everything seemed to stem from the salary. Being a seasoned contractor I've not negotiated salaries before and my naive assumption was that benefits come on top. 2% min for pension, healthcare, life cover, injury cover would all come from the Gross.

There is also a waiting list for permies to park their cars as there isn't enough space that I wasn't aware of. I'm also growing tired of Fannyborough and its delightful town center.

The MD has informed me to get in touch in the future should I wish to come back which is is good to hear however I shall be departing for pastures new.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I had a chat with the wife.

The MD has informed me to get in touch in the future should I wish to come back which is is good to hear however I shall be departing for pastures new.

FTFY
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I have spoken to the director and discussed the benefits package and wasn't overly keen as everything seemed to stem from the salary. Being a seasoned contractor I've not negotiated salaries before and my naive assumption was that benefits come on top. 2% min for pension, healthcare, life cover, injury cover would all come from the Gross.

There is also a waiting list for permies to park their cars as there isn't enough space that I wasn't aware of. I'm also growing tired of Fannyborough and its delightful town center.

Yes, the 80k will be the "package", comprising a lower actual salary plus company car, pension, health etc. etc.

Comment

Not cut out to be a permie it seems. Nice one and happy contracting!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                FTFY
                She is the MD
                Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

She is the MD
                  Of your life!!!! But she is also correct
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not a perm fan myself but OP I think you're off your head here.

One thing that does put me off perm sometimes is that, even if I can convince someone to pay me a high enough salary then they'll want to own me for paying this money. Lots of clients seem happy to pay a contractor £100s per day and work 7.5/8 hours but wont be happy if a £50-£60K permie doesnt work loads extra for free.

BUT you seem to to have cracked it at this client. Easy life, less stress, seeing kids more etc means more to me than money. No brainer for me.

And don't listen to the Mrs. Of course, she wants you to keep contracting if its more money. She aint the one doing the commute/work is she?

My Mrs is the same. Happy to spend money etc because she aint the one doing the long commute to pay for it. I'd always say do whats best for you and your family but keep an eye on what works for you too....

Bottom line as well. You can't take it with you. All well and good paying off the mortgage and being minted but its no good to you when your dead.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X