• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions decisions

Recently client co decided to cut all ties with contractors and reduce the contractor bill so I finish in a few weeks.

The situation has been great, 10 miles from home, 7hr professional day, home at 4:30pm and work is fairly easy with no stress. My co have been invoicing at £500 p/d so not too bad.

Client co have now asked me to go perm and stay on for 80k plus benefits.

50% of me is tempted to say yes as the work life balance is great however the mercenary side wants to go back to the city, stand in crowded trains and fight my way through the underground (when its running) to get to work and bill a decent rate.

Its a tough call
    Polishing a turd near you!!

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    The situation has been great, 10 miles from home, 7hr professional day, home at 4:30pm and work is fairly easy with no stress. My co have been invoicing at £500 p/d so not too bad.

...the work life balance is great
    If these hold any value, then there's your answer, I think?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

This is really swinging it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
        This is really swinging it at the moment.
        Plus, it depends where you are in life; in your 20s/30s, you might not value those things too much, but beyond that, you just might.
        Also worth considering if you could return to 'permie', and all that entails, or would you get itchy feet, get bored, & lack enthusiasm. If so I guess you could go back to contracting at some point.
        Contracting (to me) keeps you on the edge of your seat at times (which I like, despite being high risk), plus provides variety, & I don't think I personally would like to return to permiedom, but obviously it appeals to many.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Plus, it depends where you are in life; in your 20s/30s, you might not value those things too much, but beyond that, you just might.
          Also worth considering if you could return to 'permie', and all that entails, or would you get itchy feet, get bored, & lack enthusiasm. If so I guess you could go back to contracting at some point.
          Contracting (to me) keeps you on the edge of your seat at times (which I like, despite being high risk), plus provides variety, & I don't think I personally would like to return to permiedom, but obviously it appeals to many.
          Permie hasn't appealed much in the past but it is at the moment. I'm a man of modest means so could get by on the salary relatively easily to support the family.

I like the being-on-the-edge-of-your-seat part of contracting, the ability to leave a tulipy contract behind and move on to something new as and when I want.

I struggle to see myself in permieland but cant help but think that this sort of offer this close to home wont come again for a while.

Comment

I'd take it for 80k if it is as good as you say. You arent selling your soul to the devil or anything, there are still out's. You don't like it you hand your notice in and go contracting. Everyone acts like taking a perm job is the end of their life and the are committed to the grave. It's still a contract at the end of the day.

Give it 6 months or whatever the probation period is and see.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What they said. Sounds like the perfect job/life.

The company might fear you leaving to contract again. I would stick it out for 2 years. You never know, you might get promoted.

Comment

It's now become a contract with benefits. Will you have the same work life balance though? What hours do the permies typically work there, especially those on that sort of salary?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Tough call.

Financially it's a significant pay cut, but then again taking into account your short commute, job security, some employee benefits, simplified life, etc....

Have you built up a warchest that you can MVL? Where are you at with regards to mortgages?

Comment

The permies all work a 7hr day and the office is relaxed. One of the issues the client has is the quality of some of the permies compared to a seasoned contractor is vast.

Hence they made me the offer and want me to get them up to scratch.

Warchest can keep me going for 2 years before I'm broke and mortgage is around 300k outstanding on a 750k house.
                    Last edited by vadhert; 6 August 2015, 08:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X