• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lengths of time waiting to hear if you've got the gig?"

Collapse

• vwdan
    replied
    For my first gig I got the call back while I was still on the phone to the Mrs telling her how well the interview went.

Second one was during the same evening, but they knew I'd gone to site immediately after.

I think the trick is to be amazing, tbh.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    It means you have the contract otherwise he wouldn't be bothered to call (at all)
    It probably went to the 2nd choice at 8:15 a.m.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Manz View Post
    Went to a contract interview yesterday. This morning I had 2 missed calls from the agent. Why do agents love the 8am wake up call?
    It means you have the contract otherwise he wouldn't be bothered to call (at all)

Leave a comment:

• Manz
    replied
    Went to a contract interview yesterday. This morning I had 2 missed calls from the agent. Why do agents love the 8am wake up call?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    To stretch things slightly, about a year. I responded to an advert from a company in a technical forum but they ended up not hiring anyone (to my knowledge). A year or so later they contacted me out of the blue and offered me the same role... ended up working for about 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not always.

I was in a gig where we were hiring a new contractor and due to the number of signatures needed to approval it was going to go silent for a couple of weeks due to people going on holiday.

I had to tell the then current PM to make sure he emailed the agent to contact the contractor and make it clear what the problem was.
    Yeh true enough. Had that in the past too. Went through a spate on ones where it was looking good then it all got put on hold at the last minute.

Theres deffo clients out there who interview first and then get the agreements second. In this case, I dont think this is the case for this client - they've got a huge project and shedloads of money put aside so I'd have hoped they'd have signed it all off.

Then again, agency did let slip that they'd wait for a month notice max. They asked me and its much less than a month so maybe they're just not rushing #wishfulthinking

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    What I do hate is[...]
    Everything?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Most are within hours after the interview. If I don't hear anything back in three working days, I assume the opportunity went to someone else. The ones that come back later mean they had another preferred person who refused and now they're coming to you (second choice)
    Not always.

I was in a gig where we were hiring a new contractor and due to the number of signatures needed to approval it was going to go silent for a couple of weeks due to people going on holiday.

I had to tell the then current PM to make sure he emailed the agent to contact the contractor and make it clear what the problem was.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    I'm still convinced I'm gonna land that GPFS role IBM wanted me for in Zurich. Two years I've been waiting. Pimp calls me every so often to see if I'm available if it becomes live, though not lately I have to admit....

Was a cracking rate, even for Switzerland....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Must be a right bitch waiting for the JSA to get sorted then.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Two weeks before the interview..

I was brought in by the PM, then at 11am on the start day, we had the interview. Mostly in-interview though, as most are working with people that already know who I am.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Most are within hours after the interview. If I don't hear anything back in three working days, I assume the opportunity went to someone else. The ones that come back later mean they had another preferred person who refused and now they're coming to you (second choice)
    Yep. Agreed - if its more than a few days then you're 2nd choice. Not that I care ever.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    I've had a couple of 'in-interview' acceptances. One 'interview' even included the guy showing me 'my' desk.

I'd forget anything which went quiet for a week or more; usually a couple of days at most.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    Do you get paid per thread you post on CUK?

Anyway, longest was a couple of months. Like you, thought it was dead in the water. Turned out to be the largest deal I'd every got (£50K for 4 weeks work - though admittedly that was done by me and my employees, not just me).
    I'd be rich lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X