• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lengths of time waiting to hear if you've got the gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lengths of time waiting to hear if you've got the gig?

Quickest for me has been 1/2 later in the car driving home. Longest was 2 weeks later (must admit thought that one was dead).

Seems to vary quite a lot.

What I do hate is the waiting though. As it goes past a day or two and you ain't heard a jot then it slowly begins to sink in you ain't got it.

I do tend to hassle the agency a bit to at least get an answer in this case. Sometimes though you just know they've offered it to someone else and they're waiting for a yes or no from them and keeping you on the back burner.

I had one agency admit that to me once lol.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Quickest for me has been 1/2 later in the car driving home. Longest was 2 weeks later (must admit thought that one was dead).

Seems to vary quite a lot.

What I do hate is the waiting though. As it goes past a day or two and you ain't heard a jot then it slowly begins to sink in you ain't got it.

I do tend to hassle the agency a bit to at least get an answer in this case. Sometimes though you just know they've offered it to someone else and they're waiting for a yes or no from them and keeping you on the back burner.

I had one agency admit that to me once lol.
    Do you get paid per thread you post on CUK?

Anyway, longest was a couple of months. Like you, thought it was dead in the water. Turned out to be the largest deal I'd every got (£50K for 4 weeks work - though admittedly that was done by me and my employees, not just me).

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
      Do you get paid per thread you post on CUK?

Anyway, longest was a couple of months. Like you, thought it was dead in the water. Turned out to be the largest deal I'd every got (£50K for 4 weeks work - though admittedly that was done by me and my employees, not just me).
      I'd be rich lol.

Comment

I've had a couple of 'in-interview' acceptances. One 'interview' even included the guy showing me 'my' desk.

I'd forget anything which went quiet for a week or more; usually a couple of days at most.

Comment

Most are within hours after the interview. If I don't hear anything back in three working days, I assume the opportunity went to someone else. The ones that come back later mean they had another preferred person who refused and now they're coming to you (second choice)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            Most are within hours after the interview. If I don't hear anything back in three working days, I assume the opportunity went to someone else. The ones that come back later mean they had another preferred person who refused and now they're coming to you (second choice)
            Yep. Agreed - if its more than a few days then you're 2nd choice. Not that I care ever.

Comment

Two weeks before the interview..

I was brought in by the PM, then at 11am on the start day, we had the interview. Mostly in-interview though, as most are working with people that already know who I am.

Comment

Must be a right bitch waiting for the JSA to get sorted then.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm still convinced I'm gonna land that GPFS role IBM wanted me for in Zurich. Two years I've been waiting. Pimp calls me every so often to see if I'm available if it becomes live, though not lately I have to admit....

Was a cracking rate, even for Switzerland....

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Not always.

I was in a gig where we were hiring a new contractor and due to the number of signatures needed to approval it was going to go silent for a couple of weeks due to people going on holiday.

I had to tell the then current PM to make sure he emailed the agent to contact the contractor and make it clear what the problem was.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X