• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I insist on a BA?"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Rubbish! Who ever accepts a PM contract on the basis that the project is in great shape to start with?

For many contract PMs, their whole business is based on fixing projects that the client has already knackered.
    No kidding, it's certainly made a sizeable lump of my income for years.

The start point is to identify where the problems are, how or if they can be mitigated and get plans that feel sensible in place. If it looks like a BA is required to make it work then make the case, set the expectations and get it done.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    Set out the options to the client and ask what they'd prefer, laying out the risks/benefits for each.

Hire a BA (contract)
    Hire a BA (Perm)
    No BA - less PM
    etc.

Get them to decide, in writing.
    ...and make your recommendation clear.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You're screwed then. And you were screwed from the day you accepted the contract without checking the project team makeup....
    Rubbish! Who ever accepts a PM contract on the basis that the project is in great shape to start with?

For many contract PMs, their whole business is based on fixing projects that the client has already knackered.
    Last edited by Project Monkey; 24 July 2014, 09:14.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    Recruitment time would take too long - that's the issue. If we recruit it would delay the whole project.
    So what will happen if you don't hire a BA...

a) you do the BA work, neglect your PM work, risks are missed, issues happen and project gets delayed.
    b) ignore all BA work, client doesn't sign off UAT because it's not what they wanted, project gets delayed.
    c) get someone else to pretend to be a BA, requirements turn out to be a waste of paper, client won't sign off, project gets delayed.
    d) etc, etc, project gets delayed.

...if you know you need a BA, then you also know you don't have a credible plan to deliver on time. It sound like the project has ALREADY been delayed so you need to call out the issue and deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    This government department doesn't hire agency staff.,,
    Bet they do. Who does the cleaning? Or front desk security? Or courier services, or a dozen other odds and sods.

They - or rather you - need a short term resource. Tell them to go and get one and demonstrate why it's cost effective to do so and the risk costs of not doing so.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

So get one of us direct, we don't all use agencies to find roles exclusively

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Set out the options to the client and ask what they'd prefer, laying out the risks/benefits for each.

Hire a BA (contract)
    Hire a BA (Perm)
    No BA - less PM
    etc.

Get them to decide, in writing.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Time to roll up your sleeves and get those BA Marigolds on then...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You're screwed then. And you were screwed from the day you accepted the contract without checking the project team makeup....

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Recruitment time would take too long - that's the issue. If we recruit it would delay the whole project.
    Why?

Call agent tomorrow. Interviews by phone Friday afternoon for start Monday/Tuesday

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

So there's an obvious lack of a BA on the project I'm working on and timescales are tight. As the PM should I just do the BA work myself or insist on hiring a BA?
    Don't you have a budget?

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    started a topic Should I insist on a BA?

Should I insist on a BA?

So there's an obvious lack of a BA on the project I'm working on and timescales are tight. As the PM should I just do the BA work myself or insist on hiring a BA?

Working...
X