• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What Passport do you have"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

…where’s NLUK when you need him?

”Ask your accountant”

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-...ion-witnessed/
    The register for foreign births has its own requirements for witness signatures

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's the getting someone to sign the paperwork I'm having problems with. I guess I'll have to pay a solicitor to do it.
    …where’s NLUK when you need him?

”Ask your accountant”

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/how-to-...ion-witnessed/

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It's the getting someone to sign the paperwork I'm having problems with. I guess I'll have to pay a solicitor to do it.

My CID friend has refused because UK police officers aren't allowed to identify themselves to any Irish authority as an officer and if they want to travel to Eire they have to ask permission. I think they also can't carry their warrant cards in the country either (as that could identify them as a police officer, of course).

Leave a comment:

• FIERCE TANK BATTLE
    replied
    I did the irish grandparent thing. It was a pain to get all the documentation, and it took a year to process, then another 2 months for the passport.

Basically just had to pay a bit to get a copy of her birth certificate, and collect the info from my own parent, I got it all signed by a solicitor who was a friend and for the passport, a friend who was a nurse was my reference. They phoned her to check.

Bastards lost my birth certificate somehow during the passport application, and that delayed it another month. Said I never sent it. Fortunately I had a spare because I had ordered two, so was able to post it off the same day.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Ouch on the US one. The IRS will hassle him forever.
    Yes, it's a pain. You can renounce US nationality but it costs a couple of grand and still doesn't 100% clear you with the IRS.

Leave a comment:

• DrewG
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    The Alberts each have UK, EU and one sprog has a US one on account of being born there.
    Ouch on the US one. The IRS will hassle him forever.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I've since discovered that all that time looking for my Eire born grandfather's details was a waste of time. The birth certificate of my grandmother, born in N. Ireland, is equally acceptable.

Yes, anywhere on the island of Ireland counts. Congratulations. Please keep us informed.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I've since discovered that all that time looking for my Eire born grandfather's details was a waste of time. The birth certificate of my grandmother, born in N. Ireland, is equally acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by merseygrit

"You need to register your grandparent's birth - I've done so for a grandparent of mine by getting a copy of the baptismal record. Then you can apply to be added to the foreign births register, and then you can apply for a passport.
    Since Brexit I've noticed more EU jobs requiring English+ local language."

Originally posted by ladymuck

"My Grandfather's birth certificate doesn't exist but I do have his baptism record with his Mum's name on it (the father is unsurprisingly absent). I then had to try and find proof that his surname changed from his mother's the person who became known as his father. Annoyingly, his Father lied on his WW1 enlistment papers, falsifying his date of marriage to make the kids look legit but at least lists my grandfather as one of his children, even if his year of birth varies by a year (and the day changes from the 15th to the 26th and back).

I am hoping the people who manage the registry are well aware of the holes in record keeping back in the 1900's"
    Thanks, this is really useful, I will go down this route.

BTW, SQL errors when posting

Leave a comment:

• merseygrit
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

My grandfather and grandmother were Irish, however there birth certificates have been untraceable. Apparently, records are sometimes missing or even births unregistered.
    You need to register your grandparent's birth - I've done so for a grandparent of mine by getting a copy of the baptismal record. Then you can apply to be added to the foreign births register, and then you can apply for a passport.

Since Brexit I've noticed more EU jobs requiring English+ local language.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

My grandfather and grandmother were Irish, however there birth certificates have been untraceable. Apparently, records are sometimes missing or even births unregistered.
    My Grandfather's birth certificate doesn't exist but I do have his baptism record with his Mum's name on it (the father is unsurprisingly absent). I then had to try and find proof that his surname changed from his mother's the person who became known as his father. Annoyingly, his Father lied on his WW1 enlistment papers, falsifying his date of marriage to make the kids look legit but at least lists my grandfather as one of his children, even if his year of birth varies by a year (and the day changes from the 15th to the 26th and back).

I am hoping the people who manage the registry are well aware of the holes in record keeping back in the 1900's

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

I'm still trying to sort out my Irish passport. It's taken a bit of a back seat lately.

I currently am struggling to find someone who can sign off the paperwork. I also don't know if the evidence I've collected is sufficient to get on the register of forrin births so need to find an expert who can review it all first.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I have a British passport and I'm entitled to an Irish issued one. However if I were to apply for an Irish passport I can kiss goodbye to my current income stream.
    I'm still trying to sort out my Irish passport. It's taken a bit of a back seat lately.

I currently am struggling to find someone who can sign off the paperwork. I also don't know if the evidence I've collected is sufficient to get on the register of forrin births so need to find an expert who can review it all first.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    I have a British passport and I'm entitled to an Irish issued one. However if I were to apply for an Irish passport I can kiss goodbye to my current income stream.
    You work for a B&B in the 1950s?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X