• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brexit negatives

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit negatives"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Well normally your clothes in your suitcase would be valued as worthless when taking your luggage through customs. When travelling you have a personal allowance of several hundred pounds. Customs officials will only be looking for expensive items like jewelry and designer handbags. You just need to be careful if you have an item that is valuable such as a new laptop worth over a thousand pounds. Most old laptops will be below the personal allowance.
    Bloomin' cheek! Those well-worn Jimmy Choos are not worthless, I'll have you know

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Crikey, I couldn't imagine doing that for my holiday clothes (which is what it was). Clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, a handbag. Stuff that I didn't need in my last few days in NZ that could be sent home to make room in my case for the tat I'd bought as presents.

Interesting that technically you need to declare everything you're taking into the country. Maybe next time I visit I will present an itemised list of my suitcase and hand baggage contents.
    Well normally your clothes in your suitcase would be valued as worthless when taking your luggage through customs. When travelling you have a personal allowance of several hundred pounds. Customs officials will only be looking for expensive items like jewelry and designer handbags. You just need to be careful if you have an item that is valuable such as a new laptop worth over a thousand pounds. Most old laptops will be below the personal allowance.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Strictly, either the NZ customs officials will charge you if you originally bought the items in from the UK or the UK customs will charge you if you bought them in NZ. What you're supposed to do is fill a form out at the NZ customs that allows you to bring the items in and you can use that form to prove to the UK that you're simply bringing them back.
    Crikey, I couldn't imagine doing that for my holiday clothes (which is what it was). Clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, a handbag. Stuff that I didn't need in my last few days in NZ that could be sent home to make room in my case for the tat I'd bought as presents.

Interesting that technically you need to declare everything you're taking into the country. Maybe next time I visit I will present an itemised list of my suitcase and hand baggage contents.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

On a similar, but not unrelated note, I got stung by customs way back in 2013 because I posted home from NZ a load of personal items that I couldn't fit into my suitcase. Everything declarable was in my suitcase and everything I posted was stuff that I already owned, so I thought I was ok. Because I couldn't prove when and where I bought some of them, I ended up having to pay duties to get my own belongings back. A rather expensive lesson learned there.
    Strictly, either the NZ customs officials will charge you if you originally bought the items in from the UK or the UK customs will charge you if you bought them in NZ. What you're supposed to do is fill a form out at the NZ customs that allows you to bring the items in and you can use that form to prove to the UK that you're simply bringing them back.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

This was, of course, dismissed by the diptulips like vetran as being nonsense.
    As mentioned then the rules are similar to other third countries. You are all moaning because you are no longer friends with the EU so they impose the same rules as other countries.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

On a similar, but not unrelated note, I got stung by customs way back in 2013 because I posted home from NZ a load of personal items that I couldn't fit into my suitcase. Everything declarable was in my suitcase and everything I posted was stuff that I already owned, so I thought I was ok. Because I couldn't prove when and where I bought some of them, I ended up having to pay duties to get my own belongings back. A rather expensive lesson learned there.
    I know other people who have been caught out by that.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    My local Sainsburys is having supply problems with my lunchtime crips of choice - KP Skips
    That's because they're disgusting and no sane person wants to eat that muck.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

You're right in the sense there's no special rule for laptops, they're just pointing out that a laptop should be declared, because many work related laptops commonly carried on business trips are worth more than amount than you are allowed to bring in. When bringing your laptop back into the UK from the EU you may need to provide proof of purchase. Customs officials are not going to worry about an old looking laptop.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

So the article being linked to is misleading in that it specified work laptops to the exclusion of other items that might be over the limit for a given country? There's a shocker.
    You're right in the sense there's no special rule for laptops, they're just pointing out that a laptop should be declared, because many work related laptops commonly carried on business trips are worth more than amount than you are allowed to bring in. When bringing your laptop back into the UK from the EU you may need to provide proof of purchase. Customs officials are not going to worry about an old looking laptop.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 July 2022, 12:18.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

It doesn't matter whether it is for work or not any goods above a certain value need to be declared. Germany allows the import of goods of up to EUR 700 without declaring. Anything above that should be declared. Every country has different rules for non-EU travellers.
    That surely can't be right. 'The EU' makes all the laws, that's why we had to take are cuntry back.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    My local Sainsburys is having supply problems with my lunchtime crips of choice - KP Skips

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

It doesn't matter whether it is for work or not any goods above a certain value need to be declared. Germany allows the import of goods of up to EUR 700 without declaring. Anything above that should be declared. Every country has different rules for non-EU travellers.
    So the article being linked to is misleading in that it specified work laptops to the exclusion of other items that might be over the limit for a given country? There's a shocker.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Some downsides: https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/regul...nside-dossier/

Personally, I've never heard of this one but made me laugh although I've had similar to this going from Germany into Switzerland some years ago:

Lap tops. Travellers to the EU who carry a laptop for work purposes will require an ATA carnet to temporarily export their computer and avoid import charges according to advice from the government. A carnet from the London Chambers of Commerce costs £300 + VAT (members £180). To avoid this cost business travellers can, for some goods, use a ‘duplicate list‘ which is more complicated than exporting using an ATA Carnet and requires a list on company stationery plus a completed form C&E1246 with an EORI Number and a customs declaration

or:

Temporary imports: Spanish customs charged a holidaymaker 21% duty (£340) on the value of three e-bikes imported temporarily into Spain. Anyone taking reasonably high-value goods from the UK to the EU is required to declare them and pay any tariffs due. Payment can be avoided by paying for a customs carnet although this would have cost £300 plus VAT.
    If you remember back to one of the post vote threads, when someone posted a rant by Fish about small groups and solo artists no longer being able (financially) to do small EU tours due to having to use the CARNET system to move equipment between EU countries (if you are from the UK). This is exactly the same problem manifesting itself here. It's not laptops as the article suggests, it's anything of sufficient value, so camera gear, and if the receiving country wants to be arsey, expensive mobile phones. if you have to move between countries with any significant equipment, it's going to cost.

This was, of course, dismissed by the diptulips like vetran as being nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    How do they know if you're carrying the laptop for work purposes?

I sometimes take my laptop on holiday with me.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

They look for the Fujitsu sticker with a bar code and asset number at the bottom right hand side of the lid.

GPWM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X