• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Brexit is utopian

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit is utopian"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A bit like voting for your Eurovision entry?
    UK Nil point?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

No House of Lords peers are appointed mainly based on the amount they donate to a political party and the Head of state in the UK inherits the role, how democratic is that?
    Now as for EU they are indirectly elected by EU citizen who vote for the EU parliaments and their national governments who then in their turn vote for the top EU officials. The European parliament also checks the officials and holds them responsible and national parliaments have the option to veto as well in many cases. So much more democratic then the House of Lords.
    You ought to be a fan of the Lords, they did their best to overturn Brexit but ultimately couldn't because the Commons has legislative superiority. The Blair years tarnished the Lords, nowadays most donors seem to get knighthoods rather than peerages, but I take your point.
    I'm not sure I share your view about EU voting, those who become the various Presidents all come from political parties which the UK voters don't have the chance to vote for (or against) and I'm not sure there was ever a way of solving that, possibly because we never adapted our politics to the European way of doing things.
    Regardless of all those things, the route map of Europe leads to some form of Federalism, we won't know which form until it arrives, but it's the destination and I could never live with that. If you think the UK had a veto over anything, I hate to break it to you but we didn't. We had a discretionary opt-out regarding joining the Euro, and that was about it. Best of luck to the Danes, who still have a Euro opt-out, and my best guess is they won't have that for long. Go and check out what the next German Chancellor wants for Europe and if you're happy with all of that, fine, but if you're not, ask yourself will you ever have the opportunity to oppose it at the ballot-box?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Every country's government nominates its own Commissioner. Nothing to stop a country from holding an election for their Commissioner.
    A bit like voting for your Eurovision entry?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Is there any reason the EU doesn't want the people to vote and elect its officials directly? I mean, surely for something held as so democratic would it no be possible for every EU citizen that can vote to directly cast a vote? Instead there is this indirect democracy there?

BTW our house of lords is far worse and needs to replaced by a fully elected 2nd house.
    Every country's government nominates its own Commissioner. Nothing to stop a country from holding an election for their Commissioner.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Is there any reason the EU doesn't want the people to vote and elect its officials directly? I mean, surely for something held as so democratic would it no be possible for every EU citizen that can vote to directly cast a vote? Instead there is this indirect democracy there?

BTW our house of lords is far worse and needs to replaced by a fully elected 2nd house.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

You mean "Its all down to Europe" for every situation despite the evidence?
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Which bit of your brain believes any of them are elected? The word you're looking for is 'appointed'.
    No House of Lords peers are appointed mainly based on the amount they donate to a political party and the Head of state in the UK inherits the role, how democratic is that?
    Now as for EU they are indirectly elected by EU citizen who vote for the EU parliaments and their national governments who then in their turn vote for the top EU officials. The European parliament also checks the officials and holds them responsible and national parliaments have the option to veto as well in many cases. So much more democratic then the House of Lords.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Nigel Farage called from 2016 and wants his "argument" back. But please, do go on repeating the same old twaddle.
    You mean "Its all down to Brexit" for every situation despite the evidence?
    If you want to kick the habit we will try to support you!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Which bit of your brain believes any of them are elected? The word you're looking for is 'appointed'.
    Nigel Farage called from 2016 and wants his "argument" back. But please, do go on repeating the same old twaddle.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Which bit of your brain believes any of them are elected? The word you're looking for is 'anointed'.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Still the same old nonsense about unelected bureaucrats. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• lorakeen
    replied

The USSR argument is a bit old school, given that the Russians now have something resembling a vote for their leader, which is more than the EU leaders ever have to face. North Korea is allowed as a comparison, as it's a rigged vote, and possibly Afghanistan, as their elections will presumably be similarly rigged.
    ummm, we had a vote for our leader back home under Communism as well- only we only had one choice to vote for :P

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...which is more than the EU leaders ..

Still the same old nonsense about unelected bureaucrats. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

the person who I was discussing this with has communism/USSR as a parallel.
    The USSR argument is a bit old school, given that the Russians now have something resembling a vote for their leader, which is more than the EU leaders ever have to face. North Korea is allowed as a comparison, as it's a rigged vote, and possibly Afghanistan, as their elections will presumably be similarly rigged.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

the person who I was discussing this with has communism/USSR as a parallel to the EU.
    FTFY

Macaroon will be first to the Dacha.

Our post brexit problems are firms complaining there is no more slave labour!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X