• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "EU roaming charges return"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Did we once have a CUK member who had been an HGV driver?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

There won't, except temporary blips. All those nice soldiers back from Kabul can run logistics for us!
    (actually I do seriously wonder if we will see the army tasked to help in the driver shortage, moving stuff around is something they are very good at)
    They are actually already calling in army reserve truck drivers. Only one problem these people are in daily life also truck drivers, so nett gain zero
    https://marketresearchtelecast.com/t...arkets/124684/

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

...indeed or whether there would be empty shelves in the supermarkets at Christmas.
    There won't, except temporary blips. All those nice soldiers back from Kabul can run logistics for us!
    (actually I do seriously wonder if we will see the army tasked to help in the driver shortage, moving stuff around is something they are very good at)

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Is there not a bit of quid pro quo here... if EU folk come here do they get free roaming?
    Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame. Still, if you made your Brexit decision based on how much using 4G would cost abroad you're a fool.
    ...indeed or whether there would be empty shelves in the supermarkets at Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    You never tried to phone the UK from abroad on a land-line?!
    That's what client sites are for!

A few years ago I remember working with a permie who ha da desk phone in her office in the UK, and a work mobile as well. These were in the days when calling a mobile from a landline was expensive. She used to set her desk phone to forward to her mobile, then when she was working away from home, the family would call her desk phone. Saved them a fortune.
    But then I also used to call my girlfriend from my mobile before roaming charges were scrapped. When I worked in Europe, my phone bill was around £500 per month.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Ever made a call to the States or Australia back in the 70s? It would set you back a fortune. Would probably be more then £15 per minute in today's money
    My point exactly (though I wasn't born then). Imagine if you had to pay extra to access websites hosted in foreign countries!

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Ever made a call to the States or Australia back in the 70s? It would set you back a fortune. Would probably be more then £15 per minute in today's money

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Correct. Deregulate, push prices higher (not lower, as per the lie that some fools believe), captive market.

We should take it back to the old days, when only men were allowed land lines (if you looked at the phone book ) and no one had a mobile. Then roaming charges weren't an issue.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Of course there is or will be quid pro quo, for businesses the impact won't be that much, but it can be for private citizen.
    EU citizen, if they come to the UK at all, it's mostly for a short break, mainly London 3 days and they're gone. UK residents go to EU countries on many types of holidays for several weeks per year Skiing, sun, weekend breaks etc, so the impact for a Brit in the EU is much bigger than the impact for an EU citizen in the UK
    Plus the fact that the EU citizen has 26 other countries they can visit without roaming charges and the UK has none.

Mind you, Switzerland has never had the EU roaming deal, and somehow we manage.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Fair point. So purely profiteering then? THat's the capitalist way, market forces and all
    Correct. Deregulate, push prices higher (not lower, as per the lie that some fools believe), captive market.

We should take it back to the old days, when only men were allowed land lines (if you looked at the phone book ) and no one had a mobile. Then roaming charges weren't an issue. Oh, and do you have a child you could send round to sweep my chimney? Also, the sewage in my drinking water, can we do something about that?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Is there not a bit of quid pro quo here... if EU folk come here do they get free roaming?
    Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame. Still, if you made your Brexit decision based on how much using 4G would cost abroad you're a fool.
    Of course there is or will be quid pro quo, for businesses the impact won't be that much, but it can be for private citizen.
    EU citizen, if they come to the UK at all, it's mostly for a short break, mainly London 3 days and they're gone. UK residents go to EU countries on many types of holidays for several weeks per year Skiing, sun, weekend breaks etc, so the impact for a Brit in the EU is much bigger than the impact for an EU citizen in the UK.
    At the moment the roaming rates for Brits in the EU will be limited. But for example when I was on Vodafone visiting a country outside the EU on the local Vodafone network I paid £1 per minute for receiving and making calls, I have no doubt that it will slowly but surely creep up to these kind of levels for EU roaming as well in the next couple of years

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Fair point. So purely profiteering then? THat's the capitalist way, market forces and all

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    They have probably lost it as well, due to the UK leaving the EU, which I'm sure has many people rejoicing.

Free roaming abroad relies on foreign partners willing to do a deal, though it is a shame.
    Not really. It's not about the "foreign" partners, it's about global companies. Three agreeing with Three (CKH), O2 (Telefonica), Vodafone, etc. It wasn't like Three UK had to rely on small independent foreign companies in each country. They are all one global company, but now they are not forced to offer free calls, the businesses can up the rates.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Which was always denied what would happen by the mobile providers and brexiteers on here kept posting links to that. Just can't wait for the gammon faced idiots coming back with high mobile bills, crying this is not what they voted for

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Three... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58501527

Leave a comment:

Working...
X