• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do Remainers think being in the EU is a "good thing""

Collapse

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    This. I don't know about the "million times better" but I do believe we'll be economically worse off leaving.
    "we'll be economically worse off leaving"
    apart from the fact that is only an opinion and only time will tell, many people voted to leave based on other issues, and most obviously on immigration and the potential for restrictions on their lifestyle. So economics didn't figure in their choice.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    So by your reasoning, the UK needs to leave every international organisation that it is a member of and follows their rules such as the WTO, FIFA, UN, etc...
    Please let us leave FIFA. Anything to reduce football on tellie....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    1. Highest court will be UK court of law, not EU court of law. A country that doesn't decide it's own laws is basically a vassal state.
    So by your reasoning, the UK needs to leave every international organisation that it is a member of and follows their rules such as the WTO, FIFA, UN, etc...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    By that logic, uneducated unskilled cretins living in Swindon won't get freedom of movement within the UK.

feck me you would be stuck in your village!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    1. Highest court will be UK court of law, not EU court of law. A country that doesn't decide it's own laws is basically a vassal state.

How much does Britain really pay into the EU budget? | The UK and Europe | Debates | E!Sharp

£280mln per week (after rebates) is a colossal waste of money.

3. Freedom of movement is wrong. All countries should be able to turn away people that do not meet immigration criteria (health, skills, education, criminality, references). We do this for non-EU people it is only fair we apply the same rules to everybody.
    By that logic, uneducated unskilled cretins living in Swindon won't get freedom of movement within the UK.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That's right. We must immediately close the border to Scotland. The Union has brought nothing trouble.

Who is going to stay in the Thistle hotel?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    That's right. We must immediately close the border to Scotland. The Union has brought nothing trouble.
    who's 'we' basel? eh?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Well it brought us Scooty, so you may have a point...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    3. Freedom of movement is wrong. All countries should be able to turn away people that do not meet immigration criteria (health, skills, education, criminality, references).

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    Let's put aside the totally simplistic interpretation of 'democracy'. Let's ask the question "Is it more democratic to follow the will of the people three years ago rather than the will of the people today?"

Brexiteers just keep grimly hanging on to a perverted moment in time. It's long gone and we've moved on.
    I mean the same could be said of any decision.

Maybe we should have another GE with just 2 choices a leave party and a remain party.

Winner takes all..

It's like a second referendum with a different name.

[emoji849]

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I can give you one valid reason people voted leave. People hated David Cameron/inequality in the UK and are sick of it.

Sadly voting leave will make things worse. Hey ho....
    There was definitely an element of people wanting to shake up the status quo, force big political changes and hope for a more equal society...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Can you give some valid reasons for leaving the EU? In three years I have not heard any.
    I can give you one valid reason people voted leave. People hated David Cameron/inequality in the UK and are sick of it.

Sadly voting leave will make things worse. Hey ho....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Can you give some valid reasons for leaving the EU? In three years I have not heard any.

Last week, I spend three afternoons outside Parliament and I had many conversations with leavers and some actually changed their opinion. Some were dead loses and they gave reasons such as "Did you know that the EU was started by the Nazis?". "When we leave the EU will also leave NATO, they are the same aren't they?". "All the English laws have to be approved by the EU".

How much does Britain really pay into the EU budget? | The UK and Europe | Debates | E!Sharp

Similarly, the often heard claim that the UK sends ‘£350 million per week to the EU’ is based on the same incorrect measure of budget contributions. The amount that the Treasury remits to Brussels, and thus the direct cost to UK taxpayers, always has the rebate deducted before payment is made. Because of this, the correct figure, taking account of the rebate, should be around £280 million per week (based on 2014 data).
    £280mln per week (after rebates) is a colossal waste of money.

3. Freedom of movement is wrong. All countries should be able to turn away people that do not meet immigration criteria (health, skills, education, criminality, references). We do this for non-EU people it is only fair we apply the same rules to everybody.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I rarely comment on Brexit discussions these days, but stuff like this does irritate me somewhat.

Until both sides acknowledge that the other's arguments have some validity, there will be no solution to this mess.

There are arguments for both leaving and staying in the EU - there isn't a 'right' answer.

However, in practice, the government couldn't have done a worse job of implementing "leave".

Last week, I spend three afternoons outside Parliament and I had many conversations with leavers and some actually changed their opinion. Some were dead loses and they gave reasons such as "Did you know that the EU was started by the Nazis?". "When we leave the EU will also leave NATO, they are the same aren't they?". "All the English laws have to be approved by the EU".

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    You can have one, and we promise to ignore the result. spend three years doing nothing else except trying to implement the result without f***ing up the country, while a small cabal of influencers subvert the mandate for a utopia promised in the campaign into a “mandate” for the hardest possible result (because that one makes them a shedload of money and power, not because it’s the best result for the country)
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X