• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why do Remainers think being in the EU is a "good thing"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Remainers think being in the EU is a "good thing"

This is the best answer to that question I've found.
    It probably needs to be read by Brexiters rather than leavers - warning: it's long and detailed, but this is a complicated question.

Why are Remainers convinced that staying in the UK is a good thing
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It probably needs to be read by Brexiters rather than leavers - warning: it's long and detailed, but this is a complicated question.

That sounds like 'Brexit for Dummies' as most of the things mention I believed would be common sense... Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it will be flashing news for many...
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Don't cover up the ugly truth

Well try harder.

It doesn't actually cover anywhere why being in the EU is thought to be good, or is actually good. It spends a lot of time describing many issues with Brexit but that is in no way the same thing.

Your question similarly suggests that anti-brexiteers voted because they liked the EU. I for one don't have much respect for the EU but I voted Remain because staying in is a million times better than leaving, especially as no-one had -or still has - any idea of where the UK is going instead.

The article is also somewhat distorted. It is probably true lots of plutocrats were rubbing their hands and bunging cash everywhere but the overwhelming factor was much simpler. And much sadder.

The depressing fact is nearly 50% of the people in this country (and in the USA, and therefore probably across the entire planet) are just stupid beyond belief.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Your question similarly suggests that anti-brexiteers voted because they liked the EU. I for one don't have much respect for the EU but I voted Remain because staying in is a million times better than leaving, especially as no-one had -or still has - any idea of where the UK is going instead.
        This. I don't know about the "million times better" but I do believe we'll be economically worse off leaving.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          Well try harder.

It doesn't actually cover anywhere why being in the EU is thought to be good, or is actually good. It spends a lot of time describing many issues with Brexit but that is in no way the same thing.

The article is also somewhat distorted. It is probably true lots of plutocrats were rubbing their hands and bunging cash everywhere but the overwhelming factor was much simpler. And much sadder.

The depressing fact is nearly 50% of the people in this country (and in the USA, and therefore probably across the entire planet) are just stupid beyond belief.
          Not sure why the article needs to cover those points.

This part summed it up: -
          Just as growing numbers of people began to protest against Cameron and his government, along came the EU referendum of 2016.
          This was seen by many as an opportunity to vent their frustration and punish Cameron.

Call me Dave has much to answer for. A referendum is no way of settling anything.

Having said that, the people have voted and it should be enacted. However stupid they are, its what democracy is based on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Not sure why the article needs to cover those points.

This part summed it up: -
            Just as growing numbers of people began to protest against Cameron and his government, along came the EU referendum of 2016.
            This was seen by many as an opportunity to vent their frustration and punish Cameron.

Call me Dave has much to answer for. A referendum is no way of settling anything.

Having said that, the people have voted and it should be enacted. However stupid they are, its what democracy is based on.
            Bottom line.

If you're likely to be afraid of the answer, don't ask the bloody question!
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Bottom line.

If you're likely to be afraid of the answer, don't ask the bloody question!
              Like when assguru asked what was wrong with CUK?

Comment

It's incredibly biased also. I've never read a more poorly researched essay in my life. The links to the treasury are even worse. Again, assumptions without evidence, models based on biased opinions.

Nice try leavers, but Maggie Thatcher said it best "You knob heads".

Comment

I rarely comment on Brexit discussions these days, but stuff like this does irritate me somewhat.

Until both sides acknowledge that the other's arguments have some validity, there will be no solution to this mess.

There are arguments for both leaving and staying in the EU - there isn't a 'right' answer.

However, in practice, the government couldn't have done a worse job of implementing "leave".

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I rarely comment on Brexit discussions these days, but stuff like this does irritate me somewhat.

Until both sides acknowledge that the other's arguments have some validity, there will be no solution to this mess.

There are arguments for both leaving and staying in the EU - there isn't a 'right' answer.

However, in practice, the government couldn't have done a worse job of implementing "leave".
                    Arguments? Validity? You're in the wrong forum, love!

We only trade insults and wind-ups in this forum, we don't give a tulip about leaving or remaining.

Before you go, tea, no sugar. Thanks.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X