• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Backstops and hard borders"

Collapse

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Brexit is.in some ways the politics of envy by those who lack the imagination or means to consider that they might ever want to enjoy the FoM rights. They even want to stop their children and grandchildren. Sad really.
    I don't even think he gets the irony of saying that I should move to another country, even after he has voted to take Freedom of Movement away.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The basis of your argument (which, to be honest, seems to be the basis of a lot of your arguments) is that you don't understand it therefore it is not required. I've simply given you a different point of view on whether FoM is a benefit.

FYI, even after Brexit I will still have 27 EU countries, plus 3 EEA, plus Switzerland, plus the UK, that I can live, work, and retire in. My Freedom of Movement is intact. It's yours and your family's that has been removed.
    Brexit is.in some ways the politics of envy by those who lack the imagination or means to consider that they might ever want to enjoy the FoM rights. They even want to stop their children and grandchildren. Sad really.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    And so everyone should change nothing because of you and a tiny number of other people who want to work in Europe as well as the UK?

So here is the best option for you - go live in the EU - you will still have 27 countries to work in and forget about us here in the tulipty UK.

Please.
    The basis of your argument (which, to be honest, seems to be the basis of a lot of your arguments) is that you don't understand it therefore it is not required. I've simply given you a different point of view on whether FoM is a benefit.

FYI, even after Brexit I will still have 27 EU countries, plus 3 EEA, plus Switzerland, plus the UK, that I can live, work, and retire in. My Freedom of Movement is intact. It's yours and your family's that has been removed.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    And so everyone should change nothing because of you and a tiny number of other people who want to work in Europe as well as the UK?

So here is the best option for you - go live in the EU - you will still have 27 countries to work in and forget about us here in the tulipty UK.

Please.
    Try to understand that this is multifaceted. There are a lot of becauses. There are also other reasons, including around seamless cross border trade.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

That's because you do not see the benefits of Freedom of Movement. I enjoy it - I can work anywhere in Europe, live there, retire there, all as a right and not a privilege that I need to apply for. I see it as a benefit.

Please.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    We'll pay them a decent sized divorce bill ... they'll be fine
    And swap our unicorns for their leprechauns...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's tulip?
    The boring night life.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I worked in Luxembourg for a while, no borders a population of a few hundred thousand, and there were hardly any illegal immigrants, the trains, buses not full, hospitals offering instant service, and no jobs stolen in spite of the fact that there were 500 million EU scroungers on their doorstep.

Now why does Luxembourg not have a problem even though I never saw one border guard when I was there ?

The answer is of course obvious
    It's tulip?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Ok well i'll drop you in a field and say walk 20 miles that way to freedom

or i'll drop you on a beach and say swim 20 miles that way to freedom

there is a good chance you will do one and not the other.

However that was not the point I was making - the point is the EU allows freedom of movement of people because it is absolutely impossible to stop it in mainland Europe so they wrote it into the laws (whatever) where as it's is clearly not as easy to get to the UK from France as it is to get to Germany from France.

But y'know....
    I worked in Luxembourg for a while, no borders a population of a few hundred thousand, and there were hardly any illegal immigrants, the trains, buses not full, hospitals offering instant service, and no jobs stolen in spite of the fact that there were 500 million EU scroungers on their doorstep.

Now why does Luxembourg not have a problem even though I never saw one border guard when I was there ?

The answer is of course obvious

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    On that particular point I was making was that the EU allows freedom of movement not because it wants it but because it cannot stop it.
    You're confusing Freedom of Movement (a right that all Europeans have, currently including Brits) with physical ease of movement around the continent of Europe.
    British and Irish have Freedom of Movement but have a sea border between us and the continent.
    Other EU countries that are not currently part of Schengen have border posts. For example, I travelled by car from Croatia to Slovenia last year and was required to pass through a border checkpoint.

In addition it is clear they do not want it because they said if we want access to the customs union and trade deals we must also allow free movement - which confused me as initially that would seem like the EU are offering us more - oh you can not just have access to the customs union and trade deals but also that great benefit of freedom of movement.

Except it's not a benefit is it? or they would not be trying to force it on us.

But I guess that's just my reasoning
    That's because you do not see the benefits of Freedom of Movement. I enjoy it - I can work anywhere in Europe, live there, retire there, all as a right and not a privilege that I need to apply for. I see it as a benefit.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Looks like the Leavers have given up on their fairy tales about open borders for goods on the island of Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    But what is your point? Nobody has said that FoM or borders for people (in particular the subject of the thread, the UK border in Ireland) is a problem.
    On that particular point I was making was that the EU allows freedom of movement not because it wants it but because it cannot stop it.

In addition it is clear they do not want it because they said if we want access to the customs union and trade deals we must also allow free movement - which confused me as initially that would seem like the EU are offering us more - oh you can not just have access to the customs union and trade deals but also that great benefit of freedom of movement.

Except it's not a benefit is it? or they would not be trying to force it on us.

But I guess that's just my reasoning

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Ok well i'll drop you in a field and say walk 20 miles that way to freedom

or i'll drop you on a beach and say swim 20 miles that way to freedom

there is a good chance you will do one and not the other.

However that was not the point I was making - the point is the EU allows freedom of movement of people because it is absolutely impossible to stop it in mainland Europe so they wrote it into the laws (whatever) where as it's is clearly not as easy to get to the UK from France as it is to get to Germany from France.

But y'know....
    But what is your point? Nobody has said that FoM or borders for people (in particular the subject of the thread, the UK border in Ireland) is a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Ireland doesn't want unification, and even if it did, they can't afford it.
    We'll pay them a decent sized divorce bill ... they'll be fine

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    How is this at all relevant? Which one are you driving a truck through?
    He's a brexiter ... he's driving a truck right through the UK economy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X