• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backstops and hard borders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Move a few miles either side of the motorway in Switzerland and you're deep in the mountainous woods. It's unlikely that someone will stop you, but also equally unlikely that you will be driving a truck.

But even taking the question at face value - is it possible to drive a consignment of goods into Switzerland clandestinely? Probably. Would you want to do it more than once (i.e. is it a viable business model)? Not if you want your sphincter to stay the same size, prison does strange things to a man.
    For today's quiz - which of the two photos below shows the best border control?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

Do you think that illegal migrants don't use boats ?

Most illegal migrants fly in on a plane with a visa valid or otherwise. The UK had 40 million visitors last year.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 February 2019, 11:59.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Most illegal migrants fly in on a plane with a visa valid or otherwise. The UK had 2 million foreign visitors last year.

Individual cross border movement is largely irrelevant to this thread. Is is about goods.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Individual cross border movement is largely irrelevant to this thread. Is is about goods.
          Looking at the terrain in the first photo I would have thought that actually the border in the second photo would be easier to smuggle goods through.

Smuggling on boats is big business.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Looking at the terrain in the first photo I would have thought that actually the border in the second photo would be easier to smuggle goods through.

Smuggling on boats is big business.

It's just a distraction from yet another argument they've lost.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              How is this at all relevant? Which one are you driving a truck through?

Comment

Well in Northern Ireland there looks to be support for unification.

New poll suggests majority in Northern Ireland want a United Ireland after Brexit

I think a no deal Brexit will increase the chances significantly.
                Ireland doesn't want unification, and even if it did, they can't afford it.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The new Democratic led US congress might be pressuring the UK, by blocking a UK-US trade deal in the event of a no deal Brexit.

Irish-American congressman intervenes on Brexit

Looks like the N.Korea option is the way out of this.

This guy was interviewed on the news the other day. He was very open and clear that May and the UK government have lost the trust of the international community; he asked how the UK can be trusted now with negotiations, when they sign up to something then renege on that.

So ironic that Brexiters argue that by leaving the EU we can negotiate all these FTA's, but those we want to do deals with don't trust us anymore

Just a matter of time now when, and not if, this Tory government will collapse
                  Last edited by Whorty; 1 February 2019, 12:45.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Most illegal migrants fly in on a plane with a visa valid or otherwise. The UK had 40 million visitors last year.

Ok well i'll drop you in a field and say walk 20 miles that way to freedom

or i'll drop you on a beach and say swim 20 miles that way to freedom

there is a good chance you will do one and not the other.

However that was not the point I was making - the point is the EU allows freedom of movement of people because it is absolutely impossible to stop it in mainland Europe so they wrote it into the laws (whatever) where as it's is clearly not as easy to get to the UK from France as it is to get to Germany from France.

But y'know....

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      How is this at all relevant? Which one are you driving a truck through?
                      He's a brexiter ... he's driving a truck right through the UK economy
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X