• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "German car firms were meant to make sure we got a good Brexit deal. What happened?"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Anyone who believes there will be a car industry in the UK after a no deal Brexit is in cuckoo land.
    Who needs cars when you have unicorns?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Jaguar Landrover manufacturing moves to EU

The country's biggest carmaker said the “fluctuating” global market has triggered the decision to temporarily close down its Solihull plant from October 22, sparking a furious response from UK politicians amid the Slovakian investment.

The closure comes off the back of plans to shift all production of JLR’s Discovery model to Slovakia from the West Midlands site, and a fall in demand for diesel cars amid concern over emissions.
    It's a bit like those planned temporary closures of all the other manufacturers as they ramp up production in the EU.

But don't worry nothing to do with Brexit purely coincidential.

Anyone who believes there will be a car industry in the UK after a no deal Brexit is in cuckoo land.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    fumes?

Try chloroform.
    Chloroform would be an improvement, at least it's sanitary.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    They're not falling, they're passing out from the fumes.

fumes?

Try chloroform.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    You are only jealous because it's a smell that women find irresistible....falling at my feet.
    They're not falling, they're passing out from the fumes.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Ha ha. Yorkie62 admits he's a smelly.
    A smarter man than him would have replied with:

You're ugly.

I can wash.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    You are only jealous because it's a smell that women find irresistible....falling at my feet.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You smell.
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bean View Post
    Is it your contention, that the UK RnD team are effectively 'designing' outdated designs, since they are apparently using existing 3/4 cyclinder engines which you suggest should be scrapped?
    No, I didn't say that, it is very clear that I did not say that, or anything like that, nice attempt to twist my words though. The other poster claimed that the UK R&D team (not RnD, it's not some type of music) were, to use his words "drastically improving" the cars.
    They are working on improvements, but no drastic improvements have been made yet.
    Perhaps you or the other poster would like to demonstrate that the UK R&D team have made drastic improvements to the car design, rather than trying to claim something that is not there.

Is it not possible to redesign current engines, to make them more efficient, powerful and/or cheaper etc.?
    Yes, it probably is. Would it make "drastic" improvements? That's doubtful.

What are the technical comparisons of the two engine versions and more crucially, have you seen that data?
    (I'm certainly not in a position to say one or the other is more powerful, efficient, etc. - are you?)
    They do a lot more than two engine "versions", for example their 1.5L turbo petrol cranks out 150bhp.
    The performance version of the same engine gets as far as 160bhp and uses an interesting 7 speed dual clutch box that bears a marked resemblance to the VW DQ200.
    The 1.6L (which they describe as "sporty) manages 120bhp through a Toyota box
    They use a 1.4L engine in their small cars, but it's a rebranded GM one.

But there is one interesting engine which I'd love to see more details on, that's the 2.0L TGDI, a turbo and supercharged direct injection model putting out 230bhp. They don't put it in any of their cars, only in the SUVs. They're proud of that engine, and the fact that it was designed and developed in China.

I think what is more interesting will be the chargepoint rollout required to ensure coverage, generating the leccy to use them and finally, the massive loss of fuel taxes to the governments of the day.
    ...but that's not a drastic improvement that is coming from the powertrain team, is it?

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    You smell.
    Yep, with the exception of my superpowers it's one of 5 senses I have.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Please, please refrain from posting childish insults...
    You smell.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    So you are informing us all that powertrain design, as you stated, does not significantly improving the design of Changan cars.

Please, please refrain from posting childish insults. It does nothing to add to the discussion and debate. Or I may have to knock you teeth so far down your throat you'll have to shove a toothbush up your a*se to clean them.
    Whereas threats of violence signiicantly improve the quality of your argument?

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    Good point, well made.
    Drastic improvement from the powertrain team would be things like scrapping all existing engines to replace them with drastically more efficient/powerful engines.
    If you do say so yourself....oh wait, ya did.

Is it your contention, that the UK RnD team are effectively 'designing' outdated designs, since they are apparently using existing 3/4 cyclinder engines which you suggest should be scrapped?

Is it not possible to redesign current engines, to make them more efficient, powerful and/or cheaper etc.?

What are the technical comparisons of the two engine versions and more crucially, have you seen that data?
    (I'm certainly not in a position to say one or the other is more powerful, efficient, etc. - are you?)

I think what is more interesting will be the chargepoint rollout required to ensure coverage, generating the leccy to use them and finally, the massive loss of fuel taxes to the governments of the day.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    2% of the team are working on powertrain design. That means the engine.

98% are working on other areas of research and development outside of powertrain design. These include body shell, transmission, suspension, steering, brakes, electrical, interior design.

I'm not assuming the work is relatively evenly spread, I am stating that 2% of the R&D team are working on the engines.

Yorkie was of the opinion that I had no idea what R&D was going on in the UK for this particular company, but he also believed that the UK R&D team was "drastically improving" the design of the cars.
    The UK R&D team works with other teams internationally to develop the overall design of the cars. As yet the UK team has not come out with any drastic improvements - they're still using the 3 and 4 cylinder engines although they may get better designs through in the future as their chief designer is ex-Cosworth. It will be interesting to see the plans going forward and how much they go for in-house design of hybrid and electric engines, how much they leverage their associations with Ford, Isuzu, Mazda, PSA and Suzuki.
    Good point, well made.
    Drastic improvement from the powertrain team would be things like scrapping all existing engines to replace them with drastically more efficient/powerful engines.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Pareto principle - Wikipedia

no it's not 2% 98%
    Don't start using facts, he's a brexidiot

Leave a comment:

Working...
X