• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SA and Tax Avoidance question?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
    A QC (who may be receiving fees from the scheme) has given an opinion that It is in line with HMRC current legislation and technically it is working.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I would advise you to straighten out your tax affairs before you submit your tax return.

Go and see a reputable accountant on the options.

The alternative is as follows:

Within a few months you receive a letter from HMRC that they have opened a COP 8 investigation.

A few months after that you will receive a bill for the full amount of tax including National Insurance and interest outstanding, you then have to prove it's legal.

....and don't believe the clap trap you've been fed about it being legal. I mean it's not illegal but your scheme providers just paid the wrong amount of tax. The real tax bill will come and will be hefty.

Basically HMRC will argue a) the money was earnt before it went into the EBT, b) it isn't a loan anyway because a real loan gets paid back.

No harm in tax avoidance but the rule is not to overdo it.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 January 2014, 19:04.

Leave a comment:

• EBTContractor
    replied
    Ticked Yes and provided number as advised by provider and friend who works in UK tax at KPMG

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    If it's all above board, why not tell them what you're up to?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Then you are part of a scheme that should have a DOTAS number

Well I'm glad you think so. Appearances can be deceptive.

Agree with the above.

Any offshore loan scheme is very high risk in my view, and even it appears to be working it doesn't mean it won't be challenged at a later date and found to be ineffective. Contact the scheme provider and ask for their DOTAS reference number.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I receive offshore loans on an ad hoc basis.

EDIT: I am not asking for advice on whether what I am doing is morally correct. I've been told it is in line with HMRC current legislation and that technically it is working.
    ftfy as it only takes the threads in the HMRC Scheme Enquiries thread to see an awful lot of other people who believed the same.

Also hasn't your provider told you how you should fill the form in?

I would not be at all surprised if they use the fact your filled the form in incorrectly as the basis of them wiggling out of supporting you when HMRC comes knocking...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Then you are part of a scheme that should have a DOTAS number
    EDIT: I am not asking for advice on whether what I am doing is morally correct. It is in line with HMRC current legislation and technically it is working.
    Well I'm glad you think so. Appearances can be deceptive.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied

EDIT: I am not asking for advice on whether what I am doing is morally correct. It is in line with HMRC current legislation and technically it is working.
    Are you sure that it's compliant with all current legislation https://www.gov.uk/government/public...intermediaries

The company that's providing you with the loans should have registered with HMRC under DOTAS HM Revenue & Customs: Disclosure of tax avoidance schemes - if they have then HMRC will have a record that it's a tax avoidance scheme and you should declare it - if not then I would ask the providers why and then review what contingencies you have in place should HRMC come knocking.

Leave a comment:

• EBTContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    What is it that you're not sure if you need to disclose? What are you doing that you're not sure about?

Give us a few pointers about what you're doing and we may be able to tell you whether or not you need to disclose it

Tax avoidance can be many things, some are quite common whilst some are on decidedly shaky ground!

Last edited by EBTContractor; 13 January 2014, 16:27.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    What is it that you're not sure if you need to disclose? What are you doing that you're not sure about?

Give us a few pointers about what you're doing and we may be able to tell you whether or not you need to disclose it

Tax avoidance can be many things, some are quite common whilst some are on decidedly shaky ground!

Leave a comment:

• EBTContractor
    started a topic SA and Tax Avoidance question?

SA and Tax Avoidance question?

I am completing this and wondering if I should say YES to being part of a tax avoidance scheme?

How do I know if I am required to disclose what money I have coming in?

HMRC says:

Tax avoidance schemes
    If you were party to one or more tax avoidance schemes, please select 'Yes' from the drop-down menu otherwise, select 'No'.

If you have used a scheme or arrangement to obtain tax advantage that you are required to disclose and you:

have been issued with a scheme reference number in 2012-13, or
    expect to receive a tax advantage from the scheme or arrangement in 2012-13 or in a period covered by a future return,

How do I know what I need to disclose? And no, I do not have a scheme reference number.

I still have no clear idea of what they mean by "tax avoidance". To me it simply means using HMRC's own rules to avoid paying any more tax that I absolutely have to pay. The same as I might deliberately
    travel on an inconvenient time or day in order to take advantage of the cheapest fares of an airline, railway or ferry.

Something you would no doubt regard as unethical fare-avoidance.

Any pointers, guys?

Thanks
    Last edited by EBTContractor; 13 January 2014, 16:15.

Working...
X