• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this the end for offshore umbrella companies??"

Collapse

• BenDover
    replied
    I wouldn't be joining Darwin if I were you........tick, tick, tick, BOOM!

Originally posted by eek View Post
    How long do I have to join up with them for to get the joining on fee?

Could we all do 1 day @ £400 and then resign.

That would beat Old Greg's latest scheme on the return front....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

You could just watch out for good Tesco Clubcard deals on bananas...

Banana economics: buy 942lb of fruit, give it away - and make pounds 25 profit - News - The Independent

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

The £400 is not in cash but managed via Oude Joris as an Forex loan.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

This just dropped into my inbox today...

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Perhaps the £750 is designed to help with the cost of fighting those nice people at HMRC http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...gh-darwin.html

Leave a comment:

• Boney M
    replied
    Got a email this morning from them via CWJobs, offer 750 notes to join them and 90% pay

epidm.edgesuite.net/PJBCRBI/CW_Jobseeker/Client/2013/Darwin/CW_2ND_Darwin_darw_281013.html

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    As I understand it, the agency will be liable if any money goes off-shore and as a result PAYE is avoided. How will my agency know that my PSC is not sending the money off-shore? If they can't know, won't they want to force me (and all other contractors) to only use white-listed on-shore umbrellas?

So this legislation could end the PSC even where there is no off-shoring going on?

If HMRC are able to legislatively define a supplier of labour and make them responsible for PAYE, are they really going to resist the temptation to put all contractors on PAYE?

Edited to add: have not been following this issue, so may well have completely misunderstood what is proposed.
    It hasn't been confirmed yet whether PSC's will be affected by the changes in legislation but as the agency will be responsible for making PAYE payments for contractors who contract with offshore providers (this is not debt transfer, it's immediate liability which null and voids the arrangement between the contractor and the offshore umbrella) it is possible that they make take the route that you suggest. There are a couple of senior recruiters who post on here who may be able to give an insight

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    No. It stops the abuse of the umbrella system for the various agencies supplying workers to health care, teaching and various other trades who avoid their own costs by claiming to be subject to offshore arrangements, although that saving didn't necessarily roll on to the workers themselves...

The other schemes that attract the unwary freelance contractor will persist unchanged, they are after all completely legal. The problem is answering the question 'does a standard UK-based taxpayer working in the UK qualify for their use'. We would say not, but that remains legally unresolved.
    As I understand it, the agency will be liable if any money goes off-shore and as a result PAYE is avoided. How will my agency know that my PSC is not sending the money off-shore? If they can't know, won't they want to force me (and all other contractors) to only use white-listed on-shore umbrellas?

So this legislation could end the PSC even where there is no off-shoring going on?

If HMRC are able to legislatively define a supplier of labour and make them responsible for PAYE, are they really going to resist the temptation to put all contractors on PAYE?

Edited to add: have not been following this issue, so may well have completely misunderstood what is proposed.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 25 October 2013, 11:26.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We both know that the 90% model has long ago died a death.

This just dropped into my inbox today...

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Not as much as I'd cry if I had the kind of retention rates you offer
    You always have to go and spoil it don't you

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    I could cry, I really could
    Not as much as I'd cry if I had the kind of retention rates you offer

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    I received a spam email from one of them this morning titled "Contractors - Retain 90% Of Your Income". UK "administration" office in Canterbury. It meets all the bingo words and phrases including "Senior Tax Counsel" approved, avoids IR35, fully insured, and so on
    Makes you wonder how many people will be enough to think ooh that's sounds like a good idea

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    I promise you it's true.
    I could cry, I really could

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    I wouldn't touch it unless it came with personal guarantees from the UK-based directors with securities lodged against their fully-paid up houses plus indemnities for everything to do with my tax affairs. Even then, I'd probably think twice and keep ignoring them.
    The word of a Dutch Antillean is all the bond you need.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Unless it has the terms "Oude Joris" or "Dutch Antilles", my advice would be not to touch it with a barge pole.
    I wouldn't touch it unless it came with personal guarantees from the UK-based directors with securities lodged against their fully-paid up houses plus indemnities for everything to do with my tax affairs. Even then, I'd probably think twice and keep ignoring them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X