• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract fallen through"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    He could always do the research and go after them himself.
    OP can't even get himself a contract with f'ing it up so I don't think this is going to happen...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    He could always do the research and go after them himself.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Been a tad busy with interviews so not had a chance to raise the SAR's yet.
    Not just 'Tittle Tattle' it really happened and I'm really out of pocket. Legal advice is I have a strong case, but need to be able to flush out the actual sequence of events in an official manner (hence SAR's), apparently the way to do this is once you have the sequence together then you name everyone and let the courts sort out who is culpable. My main worry ATM is that it's a permie who won't be able to come up with the damages awarded. But, hey ho, he who plays with fire etc etc.
    From what little I have seen around case law proving a loss in a situation where you haven't actually secured a contract is going to be almost impossible. You don't have anything so didn't lose anything. Arguing you could have started work and would have earned this if nothing else had gone wrong will be very difficult to prove and they very difficult to cost. Very difficult = costly to you as the arguing is done by some very expensive lawyers.

Oh, and if this piece of code pops up and it is infact a load of crap they counter argue you were not competent so wouldn't have been taken on. End of story.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Not just 'Tittle Tattle' it really happened and I'm really out of pocket. Legal advice is I have a strong case, but need to be able to flush out the actual sequence of events in an official manner (hence SAR's), apparently the way to do this is once you have the sequence together then you name everyone and let the courts sort out who is culpable. My main worry ATM is that it's a permie who won't be able to come up with the damages awarded. But, hey ho, he who plays with fire etc etc.
    When lawyers are involved they are the only ones who win.

But if you want to continue go ahead

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Podgy
    replied
    Is'nt it all just hearsay?

I hear it everyday constantly from permies about permies, permies about contractors.

*If* something was genuinly said - I would want to know how - what prompted it i.e. why were the agency or client communicating with your colleages about you?

The agency sound very unprofessional telling you.

Why dont you get it in an email from the agency - then forward to the employers as a complaint - they will be able to trace emails to the agency.

Someone will get kicked behind the scenes.

Sounds like a bitter & twisted permie was given the opportunity to bad-mouth!

The agency sound crap!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    We gave you legal advice - find a solicitor. My advice was a polite way of saying find another forum...

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    The next step is a SAR to find out what's what. The (free) legal advice I've taken suggests that there is a strong possibility that legal action is not only indicated but likely to succeed.

If there are no legally qualified posters on this forum then might I suggest to the mods that it's title be changed to just 'Accounting'?

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    On the plus side, I've not (yet) seen advice spelt incorrectly in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And the solicitor will tell him that.
    For £150

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And the solicitor will tell him that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    But since we aren't solicitors the OP will be better off getting advice from someone who can help him.

A bit of research on his part wouldn't go amiss.

Bad references and what you can do about them | Employment Tribunal Claims
    But it isn't a reference. It is a comment passed on unofficially by someone unknown so this won't work.

It does make an interesting point that the OP isn't taking on board from us. The unknown person giving bad feedback could be construed as defamation which this article does mention however the article says it isn't a good idea and that is when an employer can be proven to be saying it. If it isn't a good idea in that context imagine when you are trying to prove an unknown person might have said something to someone unknown unofficially.

DEFAMATION

If your former employer maliciously gives out false information about you, you could in theory have a defamation claim. Proving malice is likely to be difficult, and in most cases where you might have a chance of showing malice, you will probably be able to show negligence more easily. A defamation claim in this context will rarely be a good idea.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 July 2013, 22:52.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    But since we aren't solicitors the OP will be better off getting advice from someone who can help him.

A bit of research on his part wouldn't go amiss.

Bad references and what you can do about them | Employment Tribunal Claims

Leave a comment:

• ITPRO2
    replied
    Just for clarification. I was a contractor for these people and then was persuaded to go permie. I worked for them for 2.5 years, doing what I then got slagged off for. So I returned to contracting.
    Why does posting the truth and what I'd like to do about the situation attract negative rep points?
    If I don't take someone's advice does not mean that I'm ignoring them, just that I don't think that it a course I'd like to take. I came asking for advice on what to do about what I thought would be a serious situation for any contractor, I don't think bending over and taking it like a man is very good advice personally.
    Its because most of the contractors on here are just disguised permies and are too frightened to kick the hornets nest.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    ...but from the Mumsnet crowd....maybe not?!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X