• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Guide to the EU Cookie Law (PECR)"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I think that's the policy of most companies.

They'll shove the 'Will you let cookies on your computer?" text up, just to show that they've noticed.

But then Marketing will bully them into believing that analytics and behaviour performance are 'strictly necessary'...
    Have you been watching the ICO back tracking at all. At the speed they are currently backtracking I'm sure they will confirm analytics are "strictly necessary" by the end of next week.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    That's easy... they use cookies oooh wait a minute....
    That would be a functional cookie which is allowed.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    I think the plan is to ignore the law and do nothing unless someone complains.
    I think that's the policy of most companies.

They'll shove the 'Will you let cookies on your computer?" text up, just to show that they've noticed.

But then Marketing will bully them into believing that analytics and behaviour performance are 'strictly necessary'...

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Yeah, iPlayer stuck a massive wodge of text in my face.

If you tell a site not to use cookies, how does it remember?
    That's easy... they use cookies oooh wait a minute....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    Some websites are starting to p155 me off already... "Allow cookies" prompts
    Yeah, iPlayer stuck a massive wodge of text in my face.

If you tell a site not to use cookies, how does it remember?

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Some websites are starting to p155 me off already... "Allow cookies" prompts

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Yep, enforcement begins on the 26th.

And the slap on the wrist could cost them £500k, but nobody will get that
    Having spent ages talking to the ICO about it unless you are actively flaunting the law they won't do anything.

And if you are flaunting the law unless you are keeping highly sensitive data the law doesn't allow them to issue a fine of an real amount. Yes they will be sending letters, and taking some enforcement, but as the maximum fine would be something like £5000 enforcement of this act will not be a priority for them.
    Last edited by eek; 24 May 2012, 20:05.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Diver View Post
    Somebody please check, I'm far too busy
    I think the plan is to ignore the law and do nothing unless someone complains.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied

I'm not going to wade through that lot, but if I remember correctly, when this was proposed in 2010 and the ammendments made in 2011, it still left US to police the internet ourselves and report infractions as there was/is no government funded investigation body with a Cookie remit.

Somebody please check, I'm far too busy

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    I think 2011 is correct. Companies have had 12 months to comply so after 26th May 2012 they can get a slap on the wrist.
    Ahhhhhh, that makes sense. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I think 2011 is correct. Companies have had 12 months to comply so after 26th May 2012 they can get a slap on the wrist.

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    yeah i was thinking much the same about 2011? facebook shares to take an even bigger tumble once you have to ask for cookies permission?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Am I missing something here? Article says..

These Regulations may be cited as the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 and shall come into force on 26th May 2011.
    Also that last link crashes my (old) browser everytime I open it....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    started a topic Guide to the EU Cookie Law (PECR)

Guide to the EU Cookie Law (PECR)

The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 come into force on Saturday 26th May.

While researching it I've come across some useful info that I thought I'd share.

Here's the horse's mouth.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Here's the official guidelines from the ICO.
    New PECR rules

This is a great beginner's guide.
    Silktide - The definitive guide to the Cookie Law

Working...
X