• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Upton Accountants - more info"

Collapse

• Bugbait
    replied
    Sorry to necro this thread but what have others who were impacted by Darren Upton's theft done with relation to HMRC? I sent HMRC a bunch of documentation for review but they seem to have ignored it and have resumed chasing me for "missing money". Feel free to PM instead if you wish to keep it private.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    This new business although not related to accountancy is related to parts of the case, i.e. what the stolen money was spent on. Coincidence? possibly. It's certainly worthy of comment. I'll leave it to the readers googling skills to work out the rest it's all in the public domain.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 16 March 2012, 18:47.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Upton Staff
    replied
    Tina Upton

Mod Note:

OK.

Had this anything to do with accountancy I may or may not have allowed it through.

But it isn't.

It is a person (who was not arrested or convicted for anything) trying to get on with their lives by starting a new (non-accountancy) business.

This site does not go in for witch-hunts.

And the next person to try it will receive an instant ban.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Yorkshire Mags

"Would you trust this man with your money? We bloody did! It was back in September 2000 that Mr Upton first became involved with the Yorkshire Mags. It just so happened that the first meeting that he attended (at the THT) was that year's AGM, and it just so happened that we were looking for a new Treasurer, the previous incumbent (Tom) having resigned. I actually remember the meeting quite well. I turned up for it half resigned to having volunteer to be Treasurer, but not wanting to take on the role due to already spending loads of time doing the web site. I was therefore over the moon when new boy Darren put himself forward. And not only did he want the job, but he was an accountant! We couldn't get him appointed quickly enough. He was proposed, and seconded, and there being no other volunteers, he was as good as in. But then a lone voice (Paul Dodd, who happened to audit the accounts back in those days, if I remember right) piped up. He pointed out, quite correctly of course, that we didn't know anything about Darren, and as such should we really be so ready to trust him with our money? To be honest, I was embarrassed for Darren, who seemed a perfectly decent lad. Let's face it, who in their right mind would want to take over as Yorkshire Mags Treasurer for whatever they might be able to siphon off? Hmmm. Anyway, a lively discussion ensued, and the upshot of it was that Darren didn't get the job. I'm not sure who took it on instead, but it's possible that Tom was talked into keeping possession of the little black box for another year. Incidentally, amongst the other new Yorkshire Mags at the AGM were Maggie, Si, Pidge, and the one and only Aaaarrrrooonnaaaaa.

A year later, and Darren tried again. This time he was deemed to be trustworthy enough, and he was in. He held the role for four years, after which time he decided to stand down due to business commitments, and Maggie took over. As far as I recall Darren did a decent enough job for most of that period. Not only that, his company paid for the web site for a few years. Mind, with what we know now, perhaps it was his clients who really paid for it. Anyway, it was after Darren disappeared off the scene that we started to have problems. When we subsequently tried to pay money into the club account we were told by the bank that it had been closed. Darren's explanation was that the bank had closed the account due to there being no money in it. Now, apart from the question of why there should be no money in the account, banks simply don't close accounts like that. Ok, they might declare the account as 'dormant' if there's been no activity for a few years, but that's another matter. Two years later we were still trying to get a satisfactory explanation out of Darren. On top of this, he wouldn't supply any documentation (bank statements, accounts for his last year, etc). Round Boy and Ian Maxted had even tried banging on his door, but without success. I'm not sure how this situation eventually resolved itself, if it ever did. Despite the problems we had with Darren, I've got to say though that I was gobsmacked when I found out what he's been getting up to over the years! He certainly had me fooled.
    "
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 15 March 2012, 01:59.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by backagain View Post

So shall we start a Freedom Accountancy thread to post issues post Upton-gate? Personally I am moving accountants but would like them to prepare accounts for the current year since I already paid them for that.

I checked companies house and they are still in business...
    No.

And I shall take a dim view of it if it is just to 'keep tabs' rather than any specific request for information.

I hope I've made myself clear.

Leave a comment:

• backagain
    replied
    Have people got nothing to do with their (paid for by clients) time than sit on forums like this slagging off others?

Nothing has gone tits up for me and everything I asked Freedom to do has been done (including my accounts for last year). However since Darren Uptons actions have now been made public I do not wish to be associated with people that have committed fraud. Thus I move on.

Has anyone else got a problem with this, or should I await the barrage of childish, snide remarks, which add no value whatsoever?

Personally myself I prefer to share information and keep things civil. As I said before I havnt got an axe to grind; business is business.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I am amazed that some people get so many signals and yet they still ignore them.

Whether you have paid for a service or not, you have just got to cut your losses and move on, if you stick around then please don't post on here when it goes tits up.

Leave a comment:

• backagain
    replied
    Actually been away doing something much more interesting than work, hence the handle. I think thats what you meant? I can also report that its extremely hot and nice where I am Shame the swimming pool pump is broke but thats in hand...

So shall we start a Freedom Accountancy thread to post issues post Upton-gate? Personally I am moving accountants but would like them to prepare accounts for the current year since I already paid them for that.

I checked companies house and they are still in business...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by backagain View Post
    Has anyone noticed Freedom don't appear to be replying to emails? Maybe they have been inundated with clients wishing to leave? Or maybe the stress has been too much for Tina and she has taken some leave? Personally I thought she was pretty straight but she must have had an idea what was going on?

Wish they didn't have such a naff name; impossible to do a search on the forum and find anything related...

Maybe its time to start a Freedom Accountancy thread?

Seriously, just

Never in the history of CUK has that smilie been more apt.

Leave a comment:

• backagain
    replied
    Freedom Accountancy?

Has anyone noticed Freedom don't appear to be replying to emails? Maybe they have been inundated with clients wishing to leave? Or maybe the stress has been too much for Tina and she has taken some leave? Personally I thought she was pretty straight but she must have had an idea what was going on?

Wish they didn't have such a naff name; impossible to do a search on the forum and find anything related...

Maybe its time to start a Freedom Accountancy thread?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Please note that posts of a more general nature have been moved here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...n-6-years.html

Leave a comment:

• richy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Ok, now can we slag him off?
    OK. what a con man. I am glad I ditched his firm. He lied to me for months, and I had to switch at last minute to file return with another firm.

Leave a comment:

• philip@wellwoodhoyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I feel sorry for his family, but I assume his wife new that the payments were not being made, wasn't she a director? I seem to recall that she is a director of the phoenix, Freedom Accountancy.
    She was indeed an officer (either director or co sec) of both the Upton Accountant companies, and also 1st Accountancy before that, and many other companies (over 40 in total). If she really didn't know what was going on, then at the very least she breached her duties as a director and could/should be prosecuted under Company Law. I just don't buy this "innocent wife" impression.
    Last edited by philip@wellwoodhoyle; 10 February 2012, 10:17.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    I thought that too. 800 clients is generating at least £400k profits I'd have thought. But if £400k is coming in and £401k is going out then you're still skint. Ask Mr Micawber.
    He had 800 clients paying £60 per month, so £720 a year.

£720 x 800 = £576K so I cannot see that he would have made £400K profits.

He certainly could have managed the £10K per month that the FSA wanted from him but I think I read he only made a few payments.

I feel sorry for his family, but I assume his wife new that the payments were not being made, wasn't she a director? I seem to recall that she is a director of the phoenix, Freedom Accountancy.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by contractpm View Post
    In my case he filed accounts that said I owed £120! I paid the proper amount and he took the overpayment. When I spoke to HMRC in may, they led me to believe I had met my obligations and would be ok ... Did they tell you otherwise?
    Not sure I follow you, do you mean he took circa 16k out of the system that you really owed and HMRC dont want the proper return filing?

i.e 16k paid in, 0.120k liability submitted, 15.88k to Darren

HMRC don't want the proper accounts with a 16k liability filing they have just wrote it off? Or they don't know it's owed?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 9 February 2012, 23:46.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X