• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Use of Home

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Use of Home"

Collapse

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    if I worked on-site I would struggle to claim more than the trivial sum mentioned above... so low it hardly seems worth it.
    Which is exactly why I dont bother.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How much you can calim depends how much you actually USE your home. I do a % of all bills and end up on £100/month but I work exclusively from home. My accountant queried the amount as very high initially before I explained the situation, if I worked on-site I would struggle to claim more than the trivial sum mentioned above... so low it hardly seems worth it.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    The differential seems to be whether you are required to work from home or if you chose to. If you have no choice but to work from home you can claim for a proportion of household expenses which is calculated by dividing bills by the number of rooms in your house which could be used as a home office; if it is your choice to work from home then that's where the £3 per week comes in.
    I'm not sure that really comes into it; I don't remember reading anything about HMRC making that distinction.

You can claim £3 a week no questions asked but you are entitled to claim any household expenses you consider fair as long as you can provide supporting evidence that would satisfy HMRC should you ever have a query.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I charge £15 per week. I haven't done the sums myself but Mrs Bloggs reckons she did and it came out at £15 per week. Accountant has said nothing and I've been doing that for several years now.
    Sounds about right

I pay my accountant enough to give me accurate advice. I do do a fair amount of plan B on the evening weekends as well.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    The differential seems to be whether you are required to work from home or if you chose to. If you have no choice but to work from home you can claim for a proportion of household expenses which is calculated by dividing bills by the number of rooms in your house which could be used as a home office; if it is your choice to work from home then that's where the £3 per week comes in.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    £65/month according to my accountant
    I charge £15 per week. I haven't done the sums myself but Mrs Bloggs reckons she did and it came out at £15 per week. Accountant has said nothing and I've been doing that for several years now.

Leave a comment:

• Danielsjdaccountancy
    replied
    £3 per week is the norm. The revenue likes to keep this to a minimum. Most accountants you will find put through a buffer of anything up to £250 per annum.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    £65/month according to my accountant

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    I feel sorry for the person who fits into example four of the second link. Spending 14 hours a day at home writing a book? I'm wondering how the author fits time to see the family.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Some great links there from DaveB.

Do people just claim the £3/per week (a laughable amount for office expenses) or do you tot up your household bills and claim X% of it, in which case, what percentage of the bills do folks here actually claim?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    HMRC Examples :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/bim47820.htm

Specific deductions: use of home: examples

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Quickie: Is the amount you can claim as an expense still currently £3 per week?
    according to my accountant I can claim £10 per week

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic Use of Home

Use of Home

Quickie: Is the amount you can claim as an expense still currently £3 per week?

Working...
X