• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PGC membership through company ?"

Collapse

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    I always knew they were scum! Come on everyone, cancel your memberships!
    You know it makes sense; it's only fair.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    That champagne party was an obscenity; a piss-take of the membership.
    I always knew they were scum! Come on everyone, cancel your memberships!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    12000 to 18500 in three years. Yep, total failure.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yeah, yeah. It was publicised for at least six months. Plenty of time for people to object through any one of several routes (including on here, come to that...). Ithe final decision was not made until February, the latest time possible to cancel it without cost in case there was a groundswell against the idea. There wasn't..

But hey, let's not celebrate success, let's complain about the cost now it's too late to make any difference, and moan about not being listened to when you don't actually bother to say anything.

Pathetic...
    Ahh now I know who you are, you're the head of marketing and new member recuritment at PCG. No wonder the membership numbers have barely budged for about 8 years. What is pathetic is that UK contractors/freelancers should have a strong, powerful, influential and politically astute body to represent us with hundreds of thousands of members and instead we still only have the PCG.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    The PCG is a single-issue campaign body that has for ten years failed to fulfil its purpose.

It is ineffectual as a issue marketing body.

It is ineffectual as a lobbying body.

It is a bunch of incompetents selling wishes and dreams to small business people through Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

The PCG is no better than those parasites that sell dodgy 'degrees' and 'CV reriteing servises' to the long-term unemployed.

I think they are worse than that, but I'll let that go. I'm not a contractor anymore; I'm a 'real business' and an offshore one too (in my case in a tax haven, not Bob S's, neighbour).

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    PCG pants

I wasn't going to go on about this, but malvolio has.

In the end we thought sod it, we're only 10 once.
    In the end we thought "sod 'em. We've got away with it for 10 years".

That champagne party was an obscenity; a piss-take of the membership.

It was affordable and the money was available.
    Money that had not been invested in getting IR35 repealed, but just left in the bank.

There's still an awful lot more than we spent sat in the bank in case it's needed
    IT HAS BEEN NEEDED FOR 10 BLOODY YEARS. Real charities are not allowed to make a profit. What the hell do the PCG parasites intend to do with all that money when IR35 becomes irrelevant for some other reason? Divide it amongst the elite, I expect.

Remind me how much did that web site cost. Remind me who got paid. That was the first obvious pocketing of membership fees.

Plenty of time for people to object
    I did, by email. No response.

When I cancelled my membership, I gave the celebration of the 10th year of failure as my reason. No response.

Pathetic...
    I agree, it is.

The PCG is a single-issue campaign body that has for ten years failed to fulfil its purpose.

It is ineffectual as a issue marketing body.

It is ineffectual as a lobbying body.

It is a bunch of incompetents selling wishes and dreams to small business people through Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

The PCG is no better than those parasites that sell dodgy 'degrees' and 'CV reriteing servises' to the long-term unemployed.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    It's you that's talking Bollocks. Agains the use of we presumably being you and a few of your mates who are now in positions to make decisions. I don't remember any of the 18000 members being consulted on their subscription cash being spent on a party. Whether that cash is immediately needed or not is irrelevant it should be kept to use for compaigning.
    Yeah, yeah. It was publicised for at least six months. Plenty of time for people to object through any one of several routes (including on here, come to that...). Ithe final decision was not made until February, the latest time possible to cancel it without cost in case there was a groundswell against the idea. There wasn't..

But hey, let's not celebrate success, let's complain about the cost now it's too late to make any difference, and moan about not being listened to when you don't actually bother to say anything.

Pathetic...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Ergo, a closed shop, less open than this forum, etc. Dur...
    Nobody would want to use that forum. It looks like a 70s dial up BBS.

I notice the main site has had a complete redesign.

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    Bollocks. We thought long and hard about doing it "during a recession". In the end we thought sod it, we're only 10 once. It was affordable and the money was available. There's still an awful lot more than we spent sat in the bank in case it's needed so we didn't compromise anything, nor take any extra.

The fora are not a closed shop, they're a lot more open than many (including this one). As for "Private Members Club (a) I find that deeply insulting on several levels, not least because I've put a lot of my time and effort into the PCG over the years as have many other people and (b) sitting out here crying won't change anything, get in there and do something.
    It's you that's talking Bollocks. Agains the use of we presumably being you and a few of your mates who are now in positions to make decisions. I don't remember any of the 18000 members being consulted on their subscription cash being spent on a party. Whether that cash is immediately needed or not is irrelevant it should be kept to use for compaigning.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Actually you will (hopefully!!) still gain long term from the ongoing campaigns, members or not. Obviously the more members we have the louder we can shout, but we still shout pretty effectively where it matters. The PCG now is a lot different and a lot more effective compared to even as little as two years ago. Not that you;ll believe that for a moment!

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    I am one of those very disillusioned ex-PCGers who does not consider membership to be of value.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    It's a members' only resource. Ruse is a member. Dur...
    Ergo, a closed shop, less open than this forum, etc. Dur...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Quote:
    To view this page, you need to log in to area “PCG Members Site” on www.pcg.org.uk.

It's a members' only resource. Ruse is a member. Dur...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The fora are not a closed shop, they're a lot more open than many (including this one).

Quote:
    To view this page, you need to log in to area “PCG Members Site” on www.pcg.org.uk.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruse View Post
    Of course it cost the membership, those funds still ultimately came out of membership fees. I still think it was inappropriate in a recession and with many contractors on the bench. The reason you didn't hear any voices of disapproval is that the silent majority don't use the PCG forums and if they did voice disapproval the same core would do their usual flaming down of any dissent. The PCG unfortunately is too often used by a small minority as a Private Members club to amuse themselves and help further their own political and career ambitions.
    Bollocks. We thought long and hard about doing it "during a recession". In the end we thought sod it, we're only 10 once. It was affordable and the money was available. There's still an awful lot more than we spent sat in the bank in case it's needed so we didn't compromise anything, nor take any extra.

The fora are not a closed shop, they're a lot more open than many (including this one). As for "Private Members Club (a) I find that deeply insulting on several levels, not least because I've put a lot of my time and effort into the PCG over the years as have many other people and (b) sitting out here crying won't change anything, get in there and do something.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X