• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PGC membership through company ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Whether they would bother to challenge a small amount like that I am not sure even assuming they find out. In my experience, investigations are looking for major categories of tax avoidance, they don't have time to inspect every single little entry in the books and query every receipt.
    I suppose for one contractor it is a small amount, but if HMR&C challenge one contractor and won, they might just make a settlement on the accountancy firm, as they got it wrong on a 'point of Principle' which is serious mistake for professional firm and they could go back a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
      I suppose for one contractor it is a small amount, but if HMR&C challenge one contractor and won, they might just make a settlement on the accountancy firm, as they got it wrong on a 'point of Principle' which is serious mistake for professional firm and they could go back a number of years.
      Ermm...

What goes on in YourCo is your problem, nobody else's. That's why you're the Director, you have the toal responsibility for all financial matters. By all means use an accountant for information and guidance, but you should not be dictated to by them (else they are running an MSC...)

By the same token, if you get caught by Hector for mis-claiming a tax allowance, you get done, not the accountant. One reason I keep banging on about understanding the rules and applying them properly, even in the face of what appears to be informed advice, is to ensure you are getting it right.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice.

LL

Comment

Champagne Party

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          I am one of those very disillusioned ex-PCGers who does not consider membership to be of value.

I now spend the membership fee on champagne for myself these days, rather than have them spend it on champagne for their 10th birthday party.
          I am still a PCG member but was also quite peeved by the big jolly being enjoyed at a 5 star London hotel for the 10th anniversary by a small core of PCG'ers at the expense of the less active majority.

Comment

Malvolio's interventions are usually interesting and useful. Except about the PCG. His continual "but it's better now" is a bit tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
              I am still a PCG member but was also quite peeved by the big jolly being enjoyed at a 5 star London hotel for the 10th anniversary by a small core of PCG'ers at the expense of the less active majority.
              Welcome to our latest member, Mr Scrooge.

The small core - about 400 people - were those who thought it worthwhile paying to come; any member could come along for the price of a ticket. Equally any member could have said they thought it was a bad idea. I don't remember seeing any of them...

Enough of us thought surviving 10 years and becoming the organisation we are was worth celebrating to make it happen. And it didn't cost the membership anything, the money came out of unallocated funds. With sponsorship and ticket sales the net cost wasn't all that high.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Welcome to our latest member, Mr Scrooge.

The small core - about 400 people - were those who thought it worthwhile paying to come; any member could come along for the price of a ticket. Equally any member could have said they thought it was a bad idea. I don't remember seeing any of them...

Enough of us thought surviving 10 years and becoming the organisation we are was worth celebrating to make it happen. And it didn't cost the membership anything, the money came out of unallocated funds. With sponsorship and ticket sales the net cost wasn't all that high.
                Of course it cost the membership, those funds still ultimately came out of membership fees. I still think it was inappropriate in a recession and with many contractors on the bench. The reason you didn't hear any voices of disapproval is that the silent majority don't use the PCG forums and if they did voice disapproval the same core would do their usual flaming down of any dissent. The PCG unfortunately is too often used by a small minority as a Private Members club to amuse themselves and help further their own political and career ambitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                  Of course it cost the membership, those funds still ultimately came out of membership fees. I still think it was inappropriate in a recession and with many contractors on the bench. The reason you didn't hear any voices of disapproval is that the silent majority don't use the PCG forums and if they did voice disapproval the same core would do their usual flaming down of any dissent. The PCG unfortunately is too often used by a small minority as a Private Members club to amuse themselves and help further their own political and career ambitions.
                  Bollocks. We thought long and hard about doing it "during a recession". In the end we thought sod it, we're only 10 once. It was affordable and the money was available. There's still an awful lot more than we spent sat in the bank in case it's needed so we didn't compromise anything, nor take any extra.

The fora are not a closed shop, they're a lot more open than many (including this one). As for "Private Members Club (a) I find that deeply insulting on several levels, not least because I've put a lot of my time and effort into the PCG over the years as have many other people and (b) sitting out here crying won't change anything, get in there and do something.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    The fora are not a closed shop, they're a lot more open than many (including this one).

Quote:
                    To view this page, you need to log in to area “PCG Members Site” on www.pcg.org.uk.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Quote:
                      To view this page, you need to log in to area “PCG Members Site” on www.pcg.org.uk.

It's a members' only resource. Ruse is a member. Dur...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X