• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pay/claim expenses or let customer pay direct"

Collapse

• dogzilla
    replied
    Gave me a good laugh!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

NorthernladUK Comment generator

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    You are not cut out to be a contractor.

Google search for expenses. You have a legal obligation to claim them from client and add VAT - yes, on top of the VAT you already paid.

Google search for 'flat rate' and how this can make you money.

Have you asked your accountant?

Has been answered many times before.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

This has made my day!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    LOL. Great find.

I'll be saving this one for when I need it:
    I was expecting a ban for bumping a thread in professional. But it would be worth it.....

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    LOL. Great find.

I'll be saving this one for when I need it:
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    my employer

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Have you asked your accountant?

Leave a comment:

• Bengal
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    As I keep saying, not everything is about IR35, but f you can afford it, charge it to YourCo and add it to the invoice (with VAT) since that keeps everything under your control and demonstrates your independence from the client.
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    As I keep saying, not everything is about IR35, but f you can afford it, charge it to YourCo and add it to the invoice (with VAT) since that keeps everything under your control and demonstrates your independence from the client.

Leave a comment:

• Bengal
    replied
    If you are providing services to a client through a LTD company the appropriate way is for your company to invoice for "disbursements". When HMRC consider IR35, one of the points they look at is how are expenses claimed paid for, if they are the same as an employee it could be a pointer towards you being within IR35.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    I have to do some travelling in my current contract which is is going to involve some long haul flying and hotels so is not going to be cheap. I have been given the option to claim the reciepts from my employer or me pay and invoice them back via my Ltd Company. they are very flexible in this matter.

Thoughts I have had are.

Vat - No difference as I am on flat rate.

Tax - This wouldn't affect my profit due to me paying it out and claiming it back so no real effect. Is this right?

Interest in bank - Pretty irrelevant.

After that am a bit stuck. I can't think of any other tax/finacial incentive between the two but would have thought there was something even if its fairly minor.

Any tips appreciated.
    I have found for flights and hotels - if my client pays directly it saves a lot of hassle, plus they get to be involved in the choice of flight / price etc rather than just getting a bill and saying "how much"?

Everything else its easier to invoice through your own company. I know some large companies used to add an admin handling charge as well, not sure if they still get away with doing that still!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I think I have this right:

Add 'incurred costs' to your invoice. That way VAT gets added to non-VAT items and YourCo can reclaim and keep that VAT.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    I have to do some travelling in my current contract which is is going to involve some long haul flying and hotels so is not going to be cheap. I have been given the option to claim the reciepts from my employer or me pay and invoice them back via my Ltd Company. they are very flexible in this matter.

Thoughts I have had are.

Vat - No difference as I am on flat rate.

Tax - This wouldn't affect my profit due to me paying it out and claiming it back so no real effect. Is this right?

Interest in bank - Pretty irrelevant.

After that am a bit stuck. I can't think of any other tax/finacial incentive between the two but would have thought there was something even if its fairly minor.

Any tips appreciated.
    Firstly, stop thinking like a permie. The client is not your employer, but your client. Personally, I would put it through your Ltd company and charge the client for the cost (If they have agreed to it), or let the client book the flights directly for you and let them sort it out, assuming you cannot afford to pay for it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    started a topic Pay/claim expenses or let customer pay direct

Pay/claim expenses or let customer pay direct

You are all a set of cockwombles.

That's all.

Thank you
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 March 2016, 12:49.

Working...
X