• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "From contractor to permie"

Collapse

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    These aren't just normal potatoes.. these are Marks And Spencer potatoes....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    I love horses though If anyone is curious what a BYJ looks like in the flesh, here's me on a horse:

http://www.bampotty.com/riding/IMAG0057.JPG
    here's me on a chair http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-1624...-29ca17884657}

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    My 5 year plan involves buying a house int he country with land for horses, and then only working 6 months a year.
    I found that having acquired the house, the land and Mrs ASB and sprogs reacquiring the horses I had to go back to working 12 months.

Bloody things don't half soak up the cash when you compete.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I have been told point blank at a permie interview that as a contractor, he had no confidence that I wouldn't up sticks and go as soon as the market improved or I'd picked up a new skill. And he was absolutely correct, so top marks to him. A week later I got a decent contract and never looked back.

He was basically admitting that 'lifestyle' permies are more likely to stay out of inertia, and that was the sort of person he needed.
    I've had very similar conversations several times.

In the last 17 years of contracting I've toyed with the idea of permiedom a few times, but not taken the step.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Don't get any horses though, they'll really mess up the nice land...
    I love horses though If anyone is curious what a BYJ looks like in the flesh, here's me on a horse:

http://www.bampotty.com/riding/IMAG0057.JPG

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Advocate View Post
    Tasty burgers during the credit crunch though

Leave a comment:

• Advocate
    replied
    My 5 year plan involves buying a house int he country with land for horses, and then only working 6 months a year.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    beautiful
    As long as credit crunches don't interfere.

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    beautiful

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    at what point do you think a contractor can really feel comfortable? house bought outright, no more pension contributions reqd, 5 years salary in comp acc?

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    My opinion is that whatever the market does, by far the biggest bill people will pay is their mortgage/rent....
    if I was a permie who had just taken out a £100-150k mortgage in the last 3 years to buy a small flat, seeing mortgage and all bills go up and up whilst value of flat go down, employers giving measly 2% payrises, I would be LIVID right now

but no, I have no property and spending is very small compared to income. I luv contracting really

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    My goal is to get to owning 5 houses outright (one of which I'll live in). Then I can sit back and watch the wonga roll in. Unfortunately I'm a LONG way away from that now.

My opinion is that whatever the market does, by far the biggest bill people will pay is their mortgage/rent....

Leave a comment:

• contractor79
    replied
    Your suceptibility to permie offers is in indirect proportion to the amount of rainy day / Plan B money you have squirrelled away. If you have no appreciable savings, then a permie job may become the only option in times of downturn. I've done it in the past.

Lessons to be learned: next time you'er on a good wonga, make sure you get 6 months - 1 year of living in the bank before you start spending on holidays and gadgets. The buffer is invaluable in times like these.
    yes I accept this
    however
    I'd say I have 1.5-2 years of salary in company account now
    and starting to reach a point where thinking how much more do I need, and how cushy a permie job would be with all the holidays, sick days etc.
    then again the downsides are major, as discussed

at what point do you think a contractor can really feel comfortable? house bought outright, no more pension contributions reqd, 5 years salary in comp acc?

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    I'd be mighty upset if i couldn't get something in that time. I must have some permie withdrawal symptoms after 16 years as a wageslave.
    You can pick up a permie slot any time. Just bear that in mind.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Lessons to be learned: next time you'er on a good wonga, make sure you get 6 months - 1 year of living in the bank before you start spending on holidays and gadgets. The buffer is invaluable in times like these.
    Thankfully, while a couple of nice holidays and some shiny new gadgets have drained a little cash , by the time I get to the end of this gig I should have enough in the bank to go 10-12 months.

I'd be mighty upset if i couldn't get something in that time. I must have some permie withdrawal symptoms after 16 years as a wageslave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X