• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From contractor to permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My goal is to get to owning 5 houses outright (one of which I'll live in). Then I can sit back and watch the wonga roll in. Unfortunately I'm a LONG way away from that now.

My opinion is that whatever the market does, by far the biggest bill people will pay is their mortgage/rent....
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      My opinion is that whatever the market does, by far the biggest bill people will pay is their mortgage/rent....
      if I was a permie who had just taken out a £100-150k mortgage in the last 3 years to buy a small flat, seeing mortgage and all bills go up and up whilst value of flat go down, employers giving measly 2% payrises, I would be LIVID right now

but no, I have no property and spending is very small compared to income. I luv contracting really

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        at what point do you think a contractor can really feel comfortable? house bought outright, no more pension contributions reqd, 5 years salary in comp acc?
        My 5 year plan involves buying a house int he country with land for horses, and then only working 6 months a year.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          My 5 year plan involves buying a house int he country with land for horses, and then only working 6 months a year.
          beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            beautiful
            As long as credit crunches don't interfere.

Comment

Don't get any horses though, they'll really mess up the nice land...
              B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                Tasty burgers during the credit crunch though

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  I love horses though If anyone is curious what a BYJ looks like in the flesh, here's me on a horse:

http://www.bampotty.com/riding/IMAG0057.JPG

Comment

I have been told point blank at a permie interview that as a contractor, he had no confidence that I wouldn't up sticks and go as soon as the market improved or I'd picked up a new skill. And he was absolutely correct, so top marks to him. A week later I got a decent contract and never looked back.

He was basically admitting that 'lifestyle' permies are more likely to stay out of inertia, and that was the sort of person he needed.
                    I've had very similar conversations several times.

In the last 17 years of contracting I've toyed with the idea of permiedom a few times, but not taken the step.

Comment

I found that having acquired the house, the land and Mrs ASB and sprogs reacquiring the horses I had to go back to working 12 months.

Bloody things don't half soak up the cash when you compete.

Comment

Working...
                      X