• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From contractor to permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, but are we allowed to answer someone who is thinking of returning to the dark side? Won't we like, develop a rash or something?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/image...tras/spank.gif
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

First post here, so hi guys

This post has arrived at just the point I'm getting the jitters. Been contracting for a year now, current contract runs to Dec.

I've got two definite permie options at current clientco, I'm working with people who I've worked with before at a previous company and one option is with a guy who I've worked with at various companies over many years (as a perm)

So I'm trying to weigh up all the doom and the relative cosiness of a perm job vs another 2.5 years to mortgage freedom (assuming minimal breaks in contracts)
      Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Sorry, but are we allowed to answer someone who is thinking of returning to the dark side? Won't we like, develop a rash or something?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/image...tras/spank.gif
        You'll be begging me for a cosy perm role in 6 months time as Gordon fiddles over the burning city. Petrol will be £70 a litre, Heroin addled illegal immigrants will be flodding through the tunnel to raping our wives and daughters, and Iran will announce the invention of a huge Israel shaped trapped door that they are about to pull the leaver on...

Sorry just caught a glimpse of the Daily Mail whilst waiting in the canteen queue....

Comment

yes the return to wageslave does not appeal to be quite honest
          and you can always go do an MSc in something for a year to build up skills, even if the course costs £10k can fastrack qualifications instead of wageslaving

so I reckon I'll carry on contracting and if times get hard I'll sign up for an MSc for a year to get more quals

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            yes the return to wageslave does not appeal to be quite honest
            and you can always go do an MSc in something for a year to build up skills, even if the course costs £10k can fastrack qualifications instead of wageslaving

so I reckon I'll carry on contracting and if times get hard I'll sign up for an MSc for a year to get more quals
            Quite apart from everything else, you'd have to change your ID anyway!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
              This post has arrived at just the point I'm getting the jitters. Been contracting for a year now, current contract runs to Dec.
              Your suceptibility to permie offers is in indirect proportion to the amount of rainy day / Plan B money you have squirrelled away. If you have no appreciable savings, then a permie job may become the only option in times of downturn. I've done it in the past.

Lessons to be learned: next time you'er on a good wonga, make sure you get 6 months - 1 year of living in the bank before you start spending on holidays and gadgets. The buffer is invaluable in times like these.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I was lucky, I got my present contract in May having seen the "writing on the wall" at the previous place I was at, who have now laid contractors off as I predicted. I reckon I'm Ok for another 8 to 9 months here. The thing is, I heard this morning that another major source of contract work here in the local area is laying off permies at the same time as the contractors. So, if I was going to be unemployed for 6 months, I'd prefer it to be from my position earning a highish rate, rather than as a so called permanent staff member who is not really "permanent" at all on ~1/2 my rate.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  Lessons to be learned: next time you'er on a good wonga, make sure you get 6 months - 1 year of living in the bank before you start spending on holidays and gadgets. The buffer is invaluable in times like these.
                  Thankfully, while a couple of nice holidays and some shiny new gadgets have drained a little cash , by the time I get to the end of this gig I should have enough in the bank to go 10-12 months.

I'd be mighty upset if i couldn't get something in that time. I must have some permie withdrawal symptoms after 16 years as a wageslave.
                  Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
                    I'd be mighty upset if i couldn't get something in that time. I must have some permie withdrawal symptoms after 16 years as a wageslave.
                    You can pick up a permie slot any time. Just bear that in mind.
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                      Your suceptibility to permie offers is in indirect proportion to the amount of rainy day / Plan B money you have squirrelled away. If you have no appreciable savings, then a permie job may become the only option in times of downturn. I've done it in the past.

yes I accept this
                      however
                      I'd say I have 1.5-2 years of salary in company account now
                      and starting to reach a point where thinking how much more do I need, and how cushy a permie job would be with all the holidays, sick days etc.
                      then again the downsides are major, as discussed

at what point do you think a contractor can really feel comfortable? house bought outright, no more pension contributions reqd, 5 years salary in comp acc?

Comment

Working...
                      X