• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IR35 repealed

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IR35 repealed"

Collapse

• herman_g
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think getting in to political discussion about who is in or out and which party in power is even remotely useful though.
    Maybe not useful but quite relevant. Her wacky right wing ideas were the far end of the pendulum. Now time for a swing the other way.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yes, junked along with everything else that didn't already have a legislative footprint, not surprising. Hard to reverse the SDLT cut, for example, as that was already in place.
    Especially difficult if you have seven buy-to-let flats and several other properties!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I can't believe my ears. Is it even legal to change proposed employment tax rules in such a short space of time after an announcement?
    It's a total mess.
    Eh? They aren't changing a thing. It's BAU. The legislative process to repeal it hadn't even begun.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    I can't believe my ears. Is it even legal to change proposed employment tax rules in such a short space of time after an announcement?
    It's a total mess.
    Yes it is.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    It's a total mess.
    Last edited by krytonsheep; 17 October 2022, 11:15.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    So my tiny brain is clear. Hunt has cancelled the planned repeal?

Status Quo as of today regarding IR35?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post

Yes, Chapters 8 and 10 as usual (since 6 April 2021).

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Yes, junked along with everything else that didn't already have a legislative footprint, not surprising. Hard to reverse the SDLT cut, for example, as that was already in place.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    IR35 repealed
    Oh no it's not......

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Whenever a reasonably non-ideological government comes into power, if it makes business sense, IR35 will be repealed then.
    Good luck with that.

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied
    Originally posted by rectifier View Post
    "We will repeal 2017 and 2021 reforms to IR35" Kwarteng just said in his budget speech.
    It was clear that was not going to last long. Until the whole Brexit gang is no longer involved in running the country, no real progress towards making the UK more liveable and more business friendly will take place. Whenever a reasonably non-ideological government comes into power, if it makes business sense, IR35 will be repealed then.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

To be entirely accurate, a director of a company holding a substantive post in another company has to be paid a salary net of taxation. That predates IR35 and was the rule that caused all sorts of problems in the early 2000s where senior civil servants were ignoring it (and that prompted the Alexander (?) review that was one of the drivers for the later reforms), the prime example being the Student Loan company case.
    I doubt the office holder rule would apply to Fullbrook, although I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• GregRickshaw
    replied
    I think someone asked for this when it was available to watch.

​​​​​​https://www.kingsbridge.co.uk/landin.../#ir35-webinar

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    On another, related not.... In fact back on topic.

Seems odd they'd back down on this. It's in line with the policy after all...
    Plan to pay Liz Truss’s chief of staff through firm is dropped after criticism (msn.com)
    To be entirely accurate, a director of a company holding a substantive post in another company has to be paid a salary net of taxation. That predates IR35 and was the rule that caused all sorts of problems in the early 2000s where senior civil servants were ignoring it (and that prompted the Alexander (?) review that was one of the drivers for the later reforms), the prime example being the Student Loan company case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X