• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dedicated home office. How much to charge LTD"

Collapse

• TheDude
    replied
    £6 a week:

1. Doesn't sound worth the bother.
    2. Is surely more likely to get HMRC sniffing around your company.
    3. Is the sort of thing that in my opinion makes some contractors look a bit grubby.

I have spent a few grand on my home office a nicer place to work from during lockdown - it also makes my home a nicer place so I am happy with that.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post

Surely not if they work for your limited company though?
    Still claim it back, just not via the LTD which is what I think Blue meant. Anyone can claim it, not just LTD owners.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-men...me-tax-relief/

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Don't forget if your partner works from home they also can claim the home office allowance!
    Surely not if they work for your limited company though?

Leave a comment:

• JHamp82
    replied
    Originally posted by gisp View Post
    So far I have been using the actual cost of my non dedicated home office, based on proportion of the home area, electircty and heating. Not far from the flat rate.

Moving home and I will have a dedicated office. How much do you normally charge your LTD? I am thinking charging the lower end of shared desk cost in a co-working space. Would this be OK?
    £6 per week I had been advised as well. In addition to business rates, I believe if you were to sell the property then your private residence relief may also be restricted.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    So far I have been using the actual cost of my non dedicated home office, based on proportion of the home area, electircty and heating. Not far from the flat rate.

Moving home and I will have a dedicated office. How much do you normally charge your LTD? I am thinking charging the lower end of shared desk cost in a co-working space. Would this be OK?
    £6 per week

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Don't forget if your partner works from home they also can claim the home office allowance!

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    Be careful with dedicated office for business purposes only. Once you come to sell the property, you will have to pay capital gains on the profit for that part of the house, even if that was your main residence. That alone may be worth more than what you save in business tax, not to mention the hassle.
    I believe you may also become liable for business rates, depending on the level and type of usage - in theory, at least.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Be careful with dedicated office for business purposes only. Once you come to sell the property, you will have to pay capital gains on the profit for that part of the house, even if that was your main residence. That alone may be worth more than what you save in business tax, not to mention the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Actiual costs were suggested by my accountant many many years ago. So far not a problem from HMRC.
    By the way I seem to remember the flat rate was increased to £6.xx/week in the last year or so (COVID times), but I dont remember HMRC imposing any hours worked per month condition. Is this something new?
    Also, was it not £ per week not month?
    I said ICBW, but the general thrust was correct. Perhaps look up the relevant guidance for yourself, it's page1 on google. £26 pcm is the maximum, it's less if you do less work from home.

The flat rate has been in place for many many years, at much the same level. You can charge what you like, as long as you are ware of the tax implications of doing so and declare it properly on your SAR.

Or are you working on the undetected crime principle that causes our business so many problems...?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Actiual costs were suggested by my accountant many many years ago. So far not a problem from HMRC.
    By the way I seem to remember the flat rate was increased to £6.xx/week in the last year or so (COVID times), but I dont remember HMRC imposing any hours worked per month condition. Is this something new?
    As you know about it why don't you go google it?

Leave a comment:

• gisp
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    ICBW but I thought the allowable cost is a flat rate of no more than £26 a month, depending on dedicated business hours worked. Separate office or not, it's still part of the same property and so available (in HMRC's eyes) for personal use 24/7. Charge more than that limit and BIKs will apply.

I seriously doubt your previous formula was strictly kosher, come to that...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I am thinking charging the lower end of shared desk cost in a co-working space. Would this be OK?
    No. Just charge the rate as mentioned by Mal. It's not worth trying to do more.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    ICBW but I thought the allowable cost is a flat rate of no more than £26 a month, depending on dedicated business hours worked. Separate office or not, it's still part of the same property and so available (in HMRC's eyes) for personal use 24/7. Charge more than that limit and BIKs will apply.

I seriously doubt your previous formula was strictly kosher, come to that...

Leave a comment:

• gisp
    started a topic Dedicated home office. How much to charge LTD

Dedicated home office. How much to charge LTD

Working...
X