• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Changing Agent - Legalities"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Sounds like a normal agent to me!

Beware going down this route. What will happen if you do manage to change agents while staying with the client is, it will all kick off between the agents who will drag the client into the bun fight. The client will tire of the arguments and will just terminate your contract.
    This +1

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
    What are the implications in changing your agent for an outside IR35 role?
    Can it be done?
    In short my Agent is behaving like a prize dick, without going into details - lying, unscrupulous and untrustworthy.
    Sounds like a normal agent to me!

Beware going down this route. What will happen if you do manage to change agents while staying with the client is, it will all kick off between the agents who will drag the client into the bun fight. The client will tire of the arguments and will just terminate your contract.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    you sure about that? It would be a very unusual contract if it doesn't have sort of restrictive covenant.
    He updated a different thread. So it did have a handcuff in and all this is over the OP's mistaken belief he can refuse to opt out when the agent will only deal with opt out contractors.

Agent isn't a dick, they weren't lying, are not unscrupulous and are not untrustworthy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Are you wanting to change agents because of the Opt out thing then?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Nothing that I can see in the contract that prevents it.
    you sure about that? It would be a very unusual contract if it doesn't have sort of restrictive covenant.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Can it be done?
    In short my Agent is behaving like a prize dick, without going into details - lying, unscrupulous and untrustworthy.
    So your agent is an agent...

You need to consider the following....
    - Your client has a contract with your agent. Can they change that to keep you? And will they change if they can?
    - Does your current contract allow you to work for the same client through a different agent?
    - Could the current agent ever find out if you did change? (evidence is key here. If you do it and they can't prove it, then it matters not).
    - Even though your agent is a dick, do you get paid accurately and on time? Leave emotion out of this, it's business.
    - is there an agent that will take you on for this scenario?

that's a starter before you even think about implications if you did do it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

I didn't sign the 'Opt out of Conduct Regulations 2003' - which I believe would have tied me to them
    Is there no handcuff clause in the contract saying for 6 months you can't do this and that? That is highly unusual to the point of I've never seen it before.

Either way, highly unlikely it's going to go smoothly. Even if it's not in the contract they'll claim dibs on you and leaving them means they'll lose commission so can see why they think they have rights to you. They'll make such a noise with the client and other agent it's going to be up in the air if you have a gig left.

Have you spoken to your client about their actions. If the client decides to move their business to a new agent than any handcuff the old agent has is void.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 October 2021, 19:15.

Leave a comment:

• JamesC34
    replied

I didn't sign the 'Opt out of Conduct Regulations 2003' - which I believe would have tied me to them

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Can it be done?
    It doesn’t matter about inside or outside IR35. It matters about what is in your contract with them.

Leave a comment:

• JamesC34
    started a topic Changing Agent - Legalities

Changing Agent - Legalities

Can it be done?

Working...
X