• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "School boy question on CT"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

hence why I pay a lump sum into my pension as I approach year end and stare in horror at the CT bill.
    Jeez, don't give the OP that option. He'll bust a blood vessel trying to work that one out.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
    Another bit of general advice for the OP which is a common misconception (just in case you are unaware); dividends are not included as expenses i.e. if you declare a dividend, it doesn't reduce your CT. Dividends are paid out of profit AFTER corporation tax.

Turnover/Sales : A
    Less Expenses : B
    Profit/(Loss) : C = A - B
    CT @ 19% on profit : D = C x 19%
    Profit after corporation tax : E = C - D
    hence why I pay a lump sum into my pension as I approach year end and stare in horror at the CT bill.

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Another bit of general advice for the OP which is a common misconception (just in case you are unaware); dividends are not included as expenses i.e. if you declare a dividend, it doesn't reduce your CT. Dividends are paid out of profit AFTER corporation tax.

Turnover/Sales : A
    Less Expenses : B
    Profit/(Loss) : C = A - B
    CT @ 19% on profit : D = C x 19%
    Profit after corporation tax : E = C - D

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    MODS, can we stickie this thread so we can point people to it when ever they ask "do you really need an accountant?"

Leave a comment:

• lecyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    You know how Einstein was like um, really bad at football? That's me.
    Some stuff is just not interesting (I have the same problem thinking about pensions). Like eating a plate of kale.

But sometimes an important subject (like exchanging the never to be replaced days of your life for money, and understanding basic accounting terminology) requires you to focus and overcome that mental inertia.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Einstein wasn't a footballer though...

Leave a comment:

• ApeShape
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Agree with vwdan, it's a surprisingly common misconception among n00bs that it reduces actual CT by £1 for every £1 spent (rather than profits that suffer CT).

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Easy to mock, but a shockingly common belief. I had somebody tell me that Starbucks asking for charity donations was a scam because it let them pay less corporation tax...
    Man that's just ridiculous.. I mean, anyone thinking that Starbucks pay any CT at all. Unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Easy to mock, but a shockingly common belief. I had somebody tell me that Starbucks asking for charity donations was a scam because it let them pay less corporation tax...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

neither can I. I had to blink and re-read as I assumed I'd missed an important piece of information.

@OP - what does your accountant say? He probably needs a chuckle as well
    He doens't even need to do that. There are GCSE bitesize revision articles that cover this, and if this is his level of knowledge, a whole host of other stuff he clearly won't know. To come on a prof contractor forum and ask this is... well...

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I can't believe what I am reading.
    neither can I. I had to blink and re-read as I assumed I'd missed an important piece of information.

@OP - what does your accountant say? He probably needs a chuckle as well

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    It still doesn't make sense to my thick head....Ugh. I understand expenses 'reduce' CT liability. So rather than reduce my profits I'm reducing my CT liability, up until a point? 19% the profit but only up until 19% that 19% profit?

Some napkin maths -

I make 100k in profits.
    My liability is 19k in Corp tax.
    I end up with 81k once the CT balance is cleared.

Or, I stay in the Ritz for two nights costing the business 9k
    My liability is now 9k less due to my amazing taste in hotels
    I end up with only having to pay 10k in CT

So I end up with 90k left in the company, rather than 81k?

I'm a maths prodigy.
    I can't believe what I am reading.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    It still doesn't make sense to my thick head....Ugh. I understand expenses 'reduce' CT liability. So rather than reduce my profits I'm reducing my CT liability, up until a point? 19% the profit but only up until 19% that 19% profit?

Some napkin maths -

I make 100k in profits.
    My liability is 19k in Corp tax.
    I end up with 81k once the CT balance is cleared.

Or, I stay in the Ritz for two nights costing the business 9k
    My liability is now 9k less due to my amazing taste in hotels
    I end up with only having to pay 10k in CT

So I end up with 90k left in the company, rather than 81k?

I'm a maths prodigy.
    Your liability isn't reduced by £9k. It is reduced by 0.19 * £9k = £1,710. So your liability remains £19k - £1,710 = £17,290 or (£100k - £9k) * 0.19 = £17,290.

It is really simple. If you have a legitimate business expense for CT purposes, you will save 19% of that expense, which would otherwise have been paid in CT, not 100% of that expense.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Your profit is calculated as income minus expenses. In your Ritz example, your company profits would now be £91,000 so you would pay £17,290 in corporation tax. I.e. you'd pay £9000 to the hotel instead of £1710 to HMRC, which probably isn't worthwhile

Leave a comment:

Working...
X