• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Minor VAT question

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Minor VAT question"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Amazon sells books which are zero rated - what does Argos sell that isn't charged at 20%...
    Argos have now merged with Sainsbury so sell TU clothing. So you can buy children's clothing and footwear which is zero rated from Argos. Safety equipment e.g. cycle helmets are zero rated though bike lights aren't. Argos sells both.

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied
    Update for anyone interested - VAT receipt from Argos received via post (!) today.

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied

Amazon sells books which are zero rated - what does Argos sell that isn't charged at 20%...
    Books

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    the last battle I had for a VAT receipt was for a no show at a hotel. They charged the 'full' amount. Fair enough I think, I failed to turn up.
    Chased them for a VAT receipt and it turns out there is no VAT on a no-show. So their 'full' charge was actually full + 20%.

As for who charges the VAT. My Amazon gift card purchases have the VAT applied at the invoice on the purchase of the goods, not the gift card. OK it's not Perkbox and Argos but I would think they are treated the same.

Edit to add - I've spent a lot of time looking at this for reasons - the rules are shall we say interesting and awkward....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    the last battle I had for a VAT receipt was for a no show at a hotel. They charged the 'full' amount. Fair enough I think, I failed to turn up.
    Chased them for a VAT receipt and it turns out there is no VAT on a no-show. So their 'full' charge was actually full + 20%.

As for who charges the VAT. My Amazon gift card purchases have the VAT applied at the invoice on the purchase of the goods, not the gift card. OK it's not Perkbox and Argos but I would think they are treated the same.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post

True.

I guess we'll find out in 48 hours when I either receive a VAT receipt from Argos back-office team, or an email telling me they can't. I'll update the thread when I find out. Almost as exciting as the football...
    Oh I suspect you will get an invoice as the back-office team will know no different, but that doesn't mean it's right....

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied

What does Argos sell that isn't subject to VAT at 20% (basically not enough to bypass the rules I linked to).
    True.

I guess we'll find out in 48 hours when I either receive a VAT receipt from Argos back-office team, or an email telling me they can't. I'll update the thread when I find out. Almost as exciting as the football...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Surely that wouldn't be the case - they have no idea whether I'll be using the balance of the gift card to purchase VAT-eligible or 0% rated items. Surely I'm just converting cash to another medium (albeit at a favourable rate).
    What does Argos sell that isn't subject to VAT at 20% (basically not enough to bypass the rules I linked to).
    Last edited by eek; 9 July 2021, 13:19. Reason: Get the actual company right - doh..

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied

That depends on where the VAT is actually charged. It may have been on the voucher in which case different rules apply - see VAT: treatment of vouchers from 1 January 2019 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and When do you Pay VAT on Gift Cards? | Aston Shaw has an overview.

I suspect Currys' website is right here and the VAT receipt should be coming Perkbox rather than Currys.
    Surely that wouldn't be the case - they have no idea whether I'll be using the balance of the gift card to purchase VAT-eligible or 0% rated items. Surely I'm just converting cash to another medium (albeit at a favourable rate).

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Just a wild thought

Is the OP buying company materiel via a personal account? If you have a business account with Amazon, as all right thinking contractors would, then VAT invoices are not an issue.

I suspect they are tricky for personal accounts because 99% of their customers would get confused by one.
    Argos don't do business accounts, and I just bought it and claimed it as an expense, like I do a lot of other things. That's pretty normal right - not enough to put me in the "wrong thinking contractors" camp, surely.

Edit: Turns out they do, but only if you're spending £10k a year with them. Who knew. https://argosforbusiness.co.uk/busin...iness-account/
    Last edited by meanttobeworking; 9 July 2021, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Send it back for a full refund.

Seriously though. If VAT has been charged they MUST provide a VAT receipt on request. It's a legal obligation.
    That depends on where the VAT is actually charged. It may have been on the voucher in which case different rules apply - see VAT: treatment of vouchers from 1 January 2019 - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and When do you Pay VAT on Gift Cards? | Aston Shaw has an overview.

I suspect Argos' website is right here and the VAT receipt should be coming Perkbox rather than Argos.
    Last edited by eek; 9 July 2021, 13:18.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Just a wild thought

Is the OP buying company materiel via a personal account? If you have a business account with Amazon, as all right thinking contractors would, then VAT invoices are not an issue.

I suspect they are tricky for personal accounts because 99% of their customers would get confused by one.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Send it back for a full refund.

Seriously though. If VAT has been charged they MUST provide a VAT receipt on request. It's a legal obligation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Well he didn't reply to my telegram so I had to up the stakes....
    Break out the carrier pigeons!!

Leave a comment:

• meanttobeworking
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's not really but you'd be surprised the number of people we get where they think communicating or chasing can only be done by email so just putting the question out there. It seems youngsters these days forget that can still speak to people directly instead of relying on email/social media
    Well he didn't reply to my telegram so I had to up the stakes....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X