• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: ipse timing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "ipse timing"

Collapse

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    the topic is about when you need to purchase your IPSE membership to gain one of the benefits provided.
    The topic of my post to which you rejoined. HTHBIDTID.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    There is a difference in product, but that is not the topic. The topic is is there any substantive reason to join IPSE other than for the insurance bundle? My argument is that, in essence, there is not (i.e. that IPSE is merely another insurance provider albeit with a few additional baubles on the tree.)
    the topic is about when you need to purchase your IPSE membership to gain one of the benefits provided.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    There is a difference in product, but that is not the topic. The topic is is there any substantive reason to join IPSE other than for the insurance bundle? My argument is that, in essence, there is not (i.e. that IPSE is merely another insurance provider albeit with a few additional baubles on the tree.)
    Access to discount vouchers (although that is something umbrella firms also offer as a perk).

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    if all you want is sweet fructosey goodness there is no difference between apples and pears.
    Except for the fact that apples are not pears.....

This metaphor reminds me of another.......

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    FTAOD: there is very little, if any, reason to join IPSE if it were not for the insurance products that are bunded as part of that membership.

Therefore, IPSE membership is indistinguishable from the purchase of an insurance product.

To argue otherwise is mere cant.
    if all you want is sweet fructosey goodness there is no difference between apples and pears.
    Except for the fact that apples are not pears.....

This metaphor reminds me of another.......

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Does ipse tax investigation insurance cover contracts started before ipse membership was taken out?
    It covers an investigation started after membership was taken out.

So if you've already had a letter, it's too late. If not, then £50 off Plus membership with this link

Join IPSE | IPSE

IPSE also gives you access to perkbox with which you can make genuine savings on your shopping by buying discounted vouchers.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    FTAOD: there is very little, if any, reason to join IPSE if it were not for the insurance products that are bunded as part of that membership.

Therefore, IPSE membership is indistinguishable from the purchase of an insurance product.

Unless, of course, you are trying to compare the services on offer to those of commercial insurance providers

Yes, the net result is the same, of course, just the conditions are rather different. A bit like taking a bus or two to get to work as opposed to having a chauffeur.

But I do agree, the overall value proposition of IPSE is rapidly diminishing for the average IT (or engineering) contractor.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    How many more times. IPSE is not insurance, it's a membership. That membership offers free tax investigation representation by experts . The only constraint is that the case is not in progress when you join, which is not unreasonable (and even then there are exceptions, such as Arctic, when there is a wider issue).

Of course, you could always phone them up and ask them about your specific situation...
    this is my understanding also.

IPSE may fund the tax investigation buy buying an insurance product, but IPSE memberships is NOT insurance.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    How many more times. IPSE is not insurance, it's a membership. That membership offers free tax investigation representation by experts . The only constraint is that the case is not in progress when you join, which is not unreasonable (and even then there are exceptions, such as Arctic, when there is a wider issue).

Of course, you could always phone them up and ask them about your specific situation...

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Does ipse tax investigation insurance cover contracts started before ipse membership was taken out?
    Yes. IPSE insurance covers investigations *started*, and whilst one is still, a member. No membership; no coverage. When the contract started is irrelevant.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Why would you hope that?
    Because I don't want the money I pay going in to a pot that pays out for people that get membership midway through high risk gigs. That's like having an accident and then getting paying for your insurance later... well not quite but similar.

Actually. LM's is a better example.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Car insurance does tend to cover cars you started driving before you bought the policy, in my experience.
    So you buy a car, have an accident, then three years later the insurance co pay out when the injured party gets around to suing?

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Just like your car insurance will pay out

Go figure
    Car insurance does tend to cover cars you started driving before you bought the policy, in my experience.

Leave a comment:

• ittony
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I hope not.
    Why would you hope that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X