• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "fixed assets or expense"

Collapse

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Now I'll admit that I do so this from time to time some of my comments, like the one above, do have a kind of advice element to it.
    To be absolutely fair to you, I wonder if the only reason you incessantly state, 'Get an accountant' is because the sheer number of times it has been said means it is the only statement guaranteed to be correctly spelt and constructed.

As to the above quoted, my confusion wonders if it might need a little tightening. Especially as you have been the spellchecker police to others in your time.

Lead first by example?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you're literally starting out and have no accounting experience, it's always worth taking on an accountant for the first couple of years to understand the ins and outs and get to grips with the various accounting procedures and cycles. You can't get a full picture from books, online fora and random reading of bits of HMRC manuals.

I have 9 years' experience of working in accounts and ran the treasury department for a large company prior to going freelance but, after 15 years of trading, I still use an accountant for an end of year sense check as I know I don't know everything.

Going it alone from a position of no experience is risky. Using an accountant is an expense, true, but is one that could save you a lot of money and a lot of time.
    Indeed. Like this guy for example...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2822441

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    If you're literally starting out and have no accounting experience, it's always worth taking on an accountant for the first couple of years to understand the ins and outs and get to grips with the various accounting procedures and cycles. You can't get a full picture from books, online fora and random reading of bits of HMRC manuals.

I have 9 years' experience of working in accounts and ran the treasury department for a large company prior to going freelance but, after 15 years of trading, I still use an accountant for an end of year sense check as I know I don't know everything.

Going it alone from a position of no experience is risky. Using an accountant is an expense, true, but is one that could save you a lot of money and a lot of time.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by kia2094 View Post
    As I go throught the pages, all I keep seeing are your non-sense, passove aggresive replies [emoji23]laugh[emoji23] I find it amusing.

Its simple, either add to the conversation, of mind your own bussiness.
    Now I'll admit that I do so this from time to time some of my comments, like the one above, do have a kind of advice element to it. They guy is struggling with his finances but doesn't seem to think so. I'm merely pointing out its not working for him.

I also assume you are including my comments about asking accountants as well. I've explained it many times but it's still the best advice in many situations where people come on asking simplisitic questions, leave with and an answer but still don't have a solution.

But thanks for your input.

Leave a comment:

• kia2094
    replied
    Seems not.

As I go throught the pages, all I keep seeing are your non-sense, passove aggresive replies : I find it amusing.

Its simple, either add to the conversation, of mind your own bussiness.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Seems not.

Leave a comment:

• dc1234
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Are you doing your own accounts and corporation tax return?

If so stop and find an accountant because you don't have enough knowledge to do it correctly as you don't even know what you don't know.
    OK, I will.

Yes I am filing my first account and corporation tax return, thought I managed the self assessment might be able to do these myself as well.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by dc1234 View Post
    yes absolutely, it is my first time to do these, so need to learn a lot of very basic things
    Are you doing your own accounts and corporation tax return?

If so stop and find an accountant because you don't have enough knowledge to do it correctly as you don't even know what you don't know.

Leave a comment:

• dc1234
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    You don't have to detail such things out on the CT600 - my accountant doesn't. Just scanning through my most recent one, it's just got turnover, profit and CT due and then the accounts are attached to show the detail.

Perhaps ask your accountant for help?
    ok, thanks a lot, seems like I need an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• dc1234
    replied
    You really are struggling with the basics here aren't you.
    yes absolutely, it is my first time to do these, so need to learn a lot of very basic things

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dc1234 View Post
    Thank you guys so .... much for the comments, so I will just keep them as assets as they are 500 pounds so makes a bit sense. Depreciation is non-deductible for corporation tax purposes so it sounds not that complicated.
    BTW, I cannot find where to put the training cost (required for the job) and the Mileage Allowance?
    You really are struggling with the basics here aren't you.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    You don't have to detail such things out on the CT600 - my accountant doesn't. Just scanning through my most recent one, it's just got turnover, profit and CT due and then the accounts are attached to show the detail.

Perhaps ask your accountant for help?

Leave a comment:

• dc1234
    replied
    Thank you guys so .... much for the comments, so I will just keep them as assets as they are 500 pounds so makes a bit sense. Depreciation is non-deductible for corporation tax purposes so it sounds not that complicated.
    BTW, I cannot find where to put the training cost (required for the job) and the Mileage Allowance?

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I know some people use a purchase price threshold for determining whether to treat something as an asset or an expense - IMO the logical approach is to base it on whether the item will have any significant value after the first year.
    I think that's a reasonable approach too. Consistency is more important that the precise details, imho. There isn't a definitive/legislated approach, otherwise we'd all use it. The only illogical thing to do would be to vary your approach or have no particular methodology.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I know some people use a purchase price threshold for determining whether to treat something as an asset or an expense - IMO the logical approach is to base it on whether the item will have any significant value after the first year.

If it's something intended to be used over a reasonable period of time and will retain value beyond the year in which you purchased it then it makes sense to me to treat it like an asset and keep it on the balance sheet. If its consumable or has a short lifespan or negligible value after a year then I'd treat it like an expense.

I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast rule about it. I'd treat a cheap desk (e.g. something from Ikea) < £200 as an expense but an expensive motorised standing desk costing upwards of a grand as an asset. A desk fan would be an expense, air con (including installation) an asset. I've treated mobile phones as both assets and expenses in the past but would generally treat them as assets these days.

Dealing with capital allowances and depreciation isn't really that complicated - most bookkeeping software like FreeAgent will handle it for you. In short you claim 100% allowances in the first year under the AIA, then depreciate it over x years depending on the asset, with the depreciation being non-deductible for corporation tax purposes. If you sell the asset then you need to deal with a balancing charge but your accountant should be able to deal with that for you.

The only other thing to bear in mind is if you ever decide to MVL and close your business down, most "cheap" MVL services will require you to get rid of all non-cash assets first. This could be done by selling them to yourself - it can be a paper transaction where you raise an invoice and credit the amount to the director loan account, then clear this with a dividend - but you'll need to account for VAT on the sale and handle the corporation tax balancing charge. Again, your accountant should be able to deal with this.
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 19 October 2020, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X