• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I change the share split?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The problem is that not so good accountants sometimes don;t tell you what about the proposed behaviour is risky.
    True. I'm glad my accountant is risk averse on behalf of his clients. For his own investments, he's a little more gung ho.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A good accountant should spell out exactly what the risks are and let you choose.

Questions like "Are you happy you can justify it in the unlikely event you get investigated by HMRC?" are good questions. If you are, great, if not, don't do it. But always it has to be your decision. They're never responsible.
    The problem is that not so good accountants sometimes don;t tell you what about the proposed behaviour is risky.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by rapsberry View Post
    Tried to get advice from my accountant about changing the share split but couldn't get any valuable suggestion as those guys always over-protect themself and don't go beyond something like:
    A good accountant should spell out exactly what the risks are and let you choose.

Questions like "Are you happy you can justify it in the unlikely event you get investigated by HMRC?" are good questions. If you are, great, if not, don't do it. But always it has to be your decision. They're never responsible.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I looked at this 10 years ago. Is there a difference between issuing new shares to spouse and gifting spouse some of your own shares? If I ever knew, it's long gone from my head...
    From a settlements point of view I don't think so. Possibly from a capital gains point of view but as gifts between spouses don't attract CGT anyway probably a moot point?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Did this a while back, and changed the did payouts straight away. The only real rule is to update your Company House return when it is due.

As for risk, the potential problem case is fairly arcane, but if you ensure you both have the same class of shares, that does not arise. The whole basis of the Arctic ruling was that the husband and wife are sharing the business risk and so can share the business reward however they see fit.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Yes you can.

I think that’s what your accountant said as well. Whilst reminding you that its your company and your risk. Which is quite right.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Should have paid more attention to IPSE's advice, shouldn't you....
    but IIRC I asked my accounatnt. I've not lived in the UK for five years so some stuff gets deleted.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I looked at this 10 years ago. Is there a difference between issuing new shares to spouse and gifting spouse some of your own shares? If I ever knew, it's long gone from my head...
    Should have paid more attention to IPSE's advice, shouldn't you....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Whilst I wouldn't recommend frequently changing shareholdings, I'd say the risk of gifting her 5% now carries no more risk than gifting her 45% in the first place. Businesses do not generally have to justify to HMRC why they have changed shareholding.

Its hard to see a) why this would trigger any investigation - companies change their shareholdings all the time and b) what difference this would make to the effects of the settlements legislation based on the Arctic judgment.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Whilst I wouldn't recommend frequently changing shareholdings, I'd say the risk of gifting her 5% now carries no more risk than gifting her 45% in the first place. Businesses do not generally have to justify to HMRC why they have changed shareholding.

Its hard to see a) why this would trigger any investigation - companies change their shareholdings all the time and b) what difference this would make to the effects of the settlements legislation based on the Arctic judgment.

Leave a comment:

• rapsberry
    started a topic Can I change the share split?

Can I change the share split?

Tried to get advice from my accountant about changing the share split but couldn't get any valuable suggestion as those guys always over-protect themself and don't go beyond something like: "you can do it if you are happy to justify that change in case HMRC start an investigation.

I would really like to get this forum community opinion on this.

I opened my Ltd in 2017 as a 100% shareholder.
    In 2018 gifted 45% of share to my wife.
    This year I want to give her another 5% so our share allocation would become 50/50.

Do you guys think I should go ahead and change share allocation or it is risky?

Working...
X