• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 6 April deadline

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "6 April deadline"

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Knew it was Cater Allen just by the description of the delay

There are real banks with actual faster payments that are instant, that are free you know...

With a possible recession coming up I'd hate to be with anyone whose transfers could invoke squeaky bums if it came down to it..;

Leave a comment:

• PK2
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So on to the next task of finding a new accountant and bank account......
    Hey, I already switched accountants half-a-year ago, and these ones have been recommended to me by a workmate, they're cheaper, and I sometimes see their ads on this forum.

Cater Allen, yes....although I can live with 1.5-day transfers. Who knows how long I'll stay contracting now days.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by PK2 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

I got hold of my accountant after 6 April and he reassured me that all the dividends I declare are meant to be interim anyway, as it's a more flexible approach (and that final dividends would not be in respect to 6 Apr anyway, but rather to the company's yearend date).

That automatically solves my next issue of declaring a dividend twice in a row.
    So on to the next task of finding a new accountant and bank account......

Leave a comment:

• PK2
    replied
    Going to follow up with my accountant but really worried I've screwed something up now
    Thanks everyone!

I got hold of my accountant after 6 April and he reassured me that all the dividends I declare are meant to be interim anyway, as it's a more flexible approach (and that final dividends would not be in respect to 6 Apr anyway, but rather to the company's yearend date).

That automatically solves my next issue of declaring a dividend twice in a row.

Leave a comment:

• concord
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    A common misconception. If the extra dividends would not result in a tax liability (e.g. they are within any unused personal allowance or the £2k dividend nil-rate band) and she has no other reason to file a tax return then she would have no obligation to notify HMRC or complete a tax return.
    I did think about that but it was late. Even if it wasn't the case, I would have had a long time to figure out how to submit her self assessment.

Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by concord View Post
    She was recently gifted shares and so she would require a self assessment for the 19/20 tax year to account for the tiny dividend payment.

My accountant would charge for preparing that so it wouldn't be worth it.
    A common misconception. If the extra dividends would not result in a tax liability (e.g. they are within any unused personal allowance or the £2k dividend nil-rate band) and she has no other reason to file a tax return then she would have no obligation to notify HMRC or complete a tax return.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    She was recently gifted shares and so she would require a self assessment for the 19/20 tax year to account for the tiny dividend payment.

My accountant does my SA.
    I do the wife's.
    It's really simple as I simply lift the dividend number from my SA, reduce it to a 1/4 (she has 20%) and stick that in. It takes 15 minutes hence I won't pay the accountant £100 for the privelige.

Leave a comment:

• concord
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    it's academic now. but....
    why would taking £125 extra in dividends, on top of the presumaby c. £40k you've already taken, have any impact on the cost of your wife's SA?

What have you NOT told us?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    No, actually I don't. I had a moment of inspiration from this thread but then realised my wife would need to file a self assessment. While it's probably dead simple, my accountant handles that and the fee would outweigh the dividend.
    it's academic now. but....
    why would taking £125 extra in dividends, on top of the presumaby c. £40k you've already taken, have any impact on the cost of your wife's SA?

What have you NOT told us?

Leave a comment:

• concord
    replied
    No, actually I don't. I had a moment of inspiration from this thread but then realised my wife would need to file a self assessment. While it's probably dead simple, my accountant handles that and the fee would outweigh the dividend.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Do you really want to piss about for percentage savings on 125 quid?

Leave a comment:

• concord
    replied
    My company pays an annual dividend and I factor in expected income from a savings account.

I noticed that because interest rates were lowered, I have about £125 remaining to reach the lower tax limit.

Has anyone's company paid such a small dividend?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Thing is, who actually offers safe(r) free banking these days?
    Mettle a NatWest thing. Free agent provided as well.
    Only problem is £10k transaction limit. Easy setup though and it’s good to have several if you’re warchest is over the FSCS protection limit.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You know what your first jobs in the new financial year are then don't you.
    Thing is, who actually offers safe(r) free banking these days?

I must admit I have no idea

Don't start an argument with Tarbie though. He invented faster payments you know
    As if I would ever start an argument with anyone Lance

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Actually it's Cater Allen. I never bothered to switch.
    I'm not registered with FreeAgent
    You know what your first jobs in the new financial year are then don't you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X