• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "It was a good run..."

Collapse

• ee00ffk
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Oh dammit it's the Salesforce hammer of remorse for me again.

You might have seen my many words of regret on this already
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2727827

It's too late for me. Save yourselves!
    Sorry to hear that ChimpMaster. Sf was forced on me back in my permy days - it’s nothing great imo.

Saw an opportunity in contracting and hadn’t looked back till all this IR35 nonsense. I’ll watch from the sidelines for now.

Hot off the press. Sajid Javid just resigned. Not that I expect anything to come out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    NLUK?
    Don't worry. I'm all over this. Operation Save the Noobs already in full swing. Got to concentrate on the retrospective taxation now they are perm doing the same work. Already managed to find their LTD's from the personal information CUK supply me. I'll be casting an eye over their accounts and contracts in due course.

Zero issues of not hitting my targets in the coming months.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 February 2020, 11:49.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    Are you suggesting that somewhere on this forum there are HMRC plants making it sound like it's all going to be fine and sunny after April?
    NLUK?

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    All these crazy kids with their 4 posts coming along telling us of their £100k+ salaries now that HMRC has helped save their careers by helping them out of contracting.

And me this old relic with 20+ years experience in IT can't scrape a shiny new permie job paying even half that.
    Are you suggesting that somewhere on this forum there are HMRC plants making it sound like it's all going to be fine and sunny after April?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by ee00ffk View Post
    im not that far behind you 15+. Certainly in London, Salesforce roles tend to pay well. Come across a fair few in the mid 80's to low 90s.
    Oh dammit it's the Salesforce hammer of remorse for me again.

You might have seen my many words of regret on this already
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2727827

It's too late for me. Save yourselves!

Leave a comment:

• ee00ffk
    replied
    All these crazy kids with their 4 posts coming along telling us of their £100k+ salaries now that HMRC has helped save their careers by helping them out of contracting.

And me this old relic with 20+ years experience in IT can't scrape a shiny new permie job paying even half that.
    im not that far behind you 15+. Certainly in London, Salesforce roles tend to pay well. Come across a fair few in the mid 80's to low 90s.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

yeh. - there're some good stories, right enough

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by ee00ffk View Post
    Bit more context for all. Leaving big 4 end of month (they did give me the option of extending and going inside, same day rate. I wasn’t comfortable going inside at the same end client).

Im starting at a new company, never worked there, different sector altogether, in March. I Should speak to my accountant, still got a fair amount of divi to take, but also will get paid in March via PAYE at the new place).

Rate has been £600 p/d on average the past 5 years. I was using an IR35 calculator, it suggested £108k was the equivalent for going inside.

New role is paying a little bit north with car allowance. Bonus etc still to come on top.

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings. I’ll see how it goes, give it 3-6 months - I enjoyed moving around tbh. Might get bored after a year.

Leave a comment:

• ee00ffk
    replied
    It was a good run...

Bit more context for all. Leaving big 4 end of month (they did give me the option of extending and going inside, same day rate. I wasn’t comfortable going inside at the same end client).

Im starting at a new company, never worked there, different sector altogether, in March. I Should speak to my accountant, still got a fair amount of divi to take, but also will get paid in March via PAYE at the new place).

Rate has been £600 p/d on average the past 5 years. I was using an IR35 calculator, it suggested £108k was the equivalent for going inside.

New role is paying a little bit north with car allowance. Bonus etc still to come on top.

Hope that clears up any misunderstandings. I’ll see how it goes, give it 3-6 months - I enjoyed moving around tbh. Might get bored after a year.

Last edited by ee00ffk; 12 February 2020, 19:31.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    What makes some people react on serious threads in the manner of a 1970s police interview ?
    Perhaps the fact that it was not only in the original post but that the point had been made (once with bold) twice in comments that preceded yours, and you still missed it?
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Is emboldened text the signifier of a small mind ?
    That's possible. Or alternatively, maybe the writer despaired of the fact that using bold once hadn't got the message through.

If it's a serious thread, perhaps people should take it seriously, by reading the original post carefully, and by noting other comments which have been made and not making the same stupid mistake as others.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Which part of the word elsewhere did you not quite comprehend?
    The elsewhere bit

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    What makes you think that's even an option elsewhere? He's been offered a perm job elsewhere. The brolly job offer was in his old role and possibly left him vulnerable to historical IR35 problems. There's nothing in what he said to indicate he had an option between brolly and perm elsewhere.

Reading comprehension has not been strong in this thread.
    What makes some people react on serious threads in the manner of a 1970s police interview ? Is emboldened text the signifier of a small mind ? Come on sonny, we know you did it.

Leave a comment:

• DevUK
    replied
    Why would you think taking perm in the same place was a good idea? HMRC will have you for that.

I'm joking, I did read the OP properly. Good luck, and congrats on landing the job. I made the same move recently. Obviously we will never be delighted with the fact we're both probably nudged towards it given the state of the market but I have to say I'm enjoying the safe place from which I can monitor the situation.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And these are contractors who know what's going on.
    IT contractors. It's easy to miss out a word.

The stupid compiler knew I meant to put that word in there, why doesn't it just fill it in for me?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    What makes you think that's even an option elsewhere? He's been offered a perm job elsewhere. The brolly job offer was in his old role and possibly left him vulnerable to historical IR35 problems. There's nothing in what he said to indicate he had an option between brolly and perm elsewhere.

Reading comprehension has not been strong in this thread.
    And these are contractors who know what's going on.

Now imagine the 95% who don't know exactly what's going on and have the comprehension skills of the people we are mocking on this thread and / or have an accountant as good as the one who took the Accountancy Age article as accurate and didn't do any research.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X