• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Season ticket iR35

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Season ticket iR35"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Mates season ticket is £13.5K (1st class from north Birmingham) just renewed it (outside ir35 / limited company)

Also plans to buy £5K avios points now for company flights in next year

Also plans to pay remaining 24 months car leasing costs this month in a lump sum

I asked him what happens if he needs to work inside ir35/umbrella from next month at RBS

His reply was “Finders keepers losers weepers” I’m outside now and can spend my company’s money legally as I wish.

Question 1. can he ?

If not does everyone need to stop using annual season tickets etc?
    He may find the car leasing company are not keen on him ending the agreement early. In effect, he's termination the agreement early and there maybe penalty charges. Additionally, this would be classed as an early termination insofar as his credit record is concerned. If he has alreay paid over half of the agreement back, then this would be classed as a voluntary termination.

Both statuses could potentially make the interest on any future finance agreements more expensive. Some people may say an ET or VT may mean getting another future lease with the same company more difficult but Im not sure that would be the case and in any event, there are lots of lease companies out there.

Otherwise, effectively he's just taking an early draw down from his company to finance this. When he's working under IR35 in the future, he'll be taxed on that basis as I see it.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Anyone not doing their utmost to legally bleed their company dry before shutting it down would be failing in their duties as a director.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And declining dividends wouldn't be?

At least share classes have been justified for other reasons.
    I wasn't suggesting that at all. Just pointoing out the problem with alphabet shares.
    The correct way would be to sell/gift the exisiting shares. or, oh I don't know, pay some tax on the income.
    Or leave it in the company till the dust settles.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Alphabet shares are the way to do it without transferring ownership.

The Arctic Systems test case relied entirely on the shares being equal in all ways. On that basis HMRC could argue that this is income shifting and Arctic Systems is of no relevance.
    And declining dividends wouldn't be?

At least share classes have been justified for other reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    There is case law about that - such that I really wouldn't recommend that approach.

If he is going to do it he needs to use different classes of shares as the best approach.
    Alphabet shares are the way to do it without transferring ownership.

The Arctic Systems test case relied entirely on the shares being equal in all ways. On that basis HMRC could argue that this is income shifting and Arctic Systems is of no relevance.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    He said he can decline his dividends

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    There is case law about that - such that I really wouldn't recommend that approach.

If he is going to do it he needs to use different classes of shares as the best approach.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    he's going to give his wife 100% of the shares??????? That's brave...
    He can still have £2k divis tax free though. And 32.5% is still less than 40%
    He said he can decline his dividends

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    His other plan (if moved to umbrella) is to stop taking dividends himself but his wife (book keeper) to max out each year until he returns to an outside position
    he's going to give his wife 100% of the shares??????? That's brave...
    He can still have £2k divis tax free though. And 32.5% is still less than 40%

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    His other plan (if moved to umbrella) is to stop taking dividends himself but his wife (book keeper) to max out each year until he returns to an outside position

Un-possible.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    if it's a one year season ticket, and he's just finshing a one year season ticket, then surely we're entering 24-month rule territory?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Surly he is still an employee of his limited company and employee of umbrella Company ??? Can you be an employee of both?

He is an officer and shareholder of his company, I very much doubt he is an employee.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    If you are here for bad advice, here is proper one:
    Ask him if he has heard of options trading over two accounting periods.
    Just enough so your SIC codes don't change.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Surly he is still an employee of his limited company and employee of umbrella Company ??? Can you be an employee of both?

No reason why not. Many people hold down two jobs or more jobs with multiple employers.

BiK probably does apply, but it's an edge case and the chances of it being queried are minute.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Yes you can but that way could lead to surprising tax bills for the stupid as we discovered earlier today.

However you may have difficulty justifying a train ticket if there isn't obvious income coming in from those journeys were HMRC to come looking at expenses.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X