• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have to say, I would not want to work somewhere where I would have to account for every minute of the day just in case someone checks up and does an audit. Perm or contract, that's not an environment I would want to work in.

I have been very fortunate to always work places where the management attitude is "this is what we need, get on with it" and as long I do get on with it and the output is to a sufficient standard, they sign off my timesheets.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by bigrog View Post
    Yes I think this is what i'm grinding up against; in order to preempt an "audit", I want to account for literally everything I do. I even have "canary" tasks, where I complete work but actually don't bill for it, so that I can gather them up as evidence of "good will" in case I get scrutinised.

I was actually a contractor in London during the 2000s, but I would bill daily instead of hourly. It was perfectly reasonable to go to the pub at 12 on a Friday, only to head back at 17:00 to pick up one's coat. Those days got billed 100%. My managers were also in the pub with me. The whole day. Ah the halcyon days of yore.

Wonder if it's still the same...?
    With them being there it made it a working lunch so obviously billable :-)

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    Not sure if it's suitable, but a good tool for giving a break down of work based on what applications your using is Rescue Time.
    It's probably one of the most reliable ways to gauge how much someone is working, when they're remote.
    Does it record how long you spend using a spell checker?

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    I want to account for literally everything I do
    Not sure if it's suitable, but a good tool for giving a break down of work based on what applications your using is Rescue Time.
    It's probably one of the most reliable ways to gauge how much someone is working, when they're remote.

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    Most contractors in the industries I've worked tend to live by "The 4-Hour Workweek". You bill 40 hours a week and do 4 hours work on Friday afternoon The only caveat being, you have to be working on site. Working remote, there's definitely more pressure to demonstrate you are doing some work.
    Yes I think this is what i'm grinding up against; in order to preempt an "audit", I want to account for literally everything I do. I even have "canary" tasks, where I complete work but actually don't bill for it, so that I can gather them up as evidence of "good will" in case I get scrutinised.

I was actually a contractor in London during the 2000s, but I would bill daily instead of hourly. It was perfectly reasonable to go to the pub at 12 on a Friday, only to head back at 17:00 to pick up one's coat. Those days got billed 100%. My managers were also in the pub with me. The whole day. Ah the halcyon days of yore.

Wonder if it's still the same...?

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    Originally posted by bigrog View Post
    Thanks lad for your reply. My issue is not that i'm billing 8 but doing 4; it's more that i'm expected to do 8, but can only do 4, and therefore will only bill for 4.

My original question was badly articulated - my bad.
    You're too fast; slow down to half speed!

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    4 hours work for 8 hours pay
    Most contractors in the industries I've worked tend to live by "The 4-Hour Workweek". You bill 40 hours a week and do 4 hours work on Friday afternoon The only caveat being, you have to be working on site. Working remote, there's definitely more pressure to demonstrate you are doing some work.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable imo.
    YANCOTBAC

Common practise in my experience.
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 21 October 2019, 18:27.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.
    I jest but I had a similar thing when a permie for West Yorkshire Police many years ago, once a year we have to track every 15 min period for two weeks

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
    This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Time to speak to your client and clarify the situation.
    This is ultimately what I need(ed) to do, yea

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
    I love this suggestion - based on recursion alone and compounding "interest", i'll fill up to 8.5 hours every day

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Is the time logging on each task a client requirement?
    Hi Lady -- not an explicit requirement, but I am doing it to be beyond reproach. I converted from perm, and some ruffled feathers are already ruffling back in the office at the fact that I just double my salary, albeit out-going as I train my replacement.

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    How many hours actual work would you do if you were in the office? Hint - it won't be 8.5 hours. If you spend 50% of your time on task A, 50% on task B, then it's 4 hours on each.

You have to factor in "thinking time", coffee breaks, admin... I don't record anything in less that 2 hour chunks.
    Hi NAT - this is a very good point. I've found myself accounting a task of 3 minutes, for example! Just not doable. In the office, i'll do much less work in much more time, for the very reasons you mentioned. Interestingly enough, i'm even getting a back ache sitting in the home office, as I just don't walk around as much as I did in the actual office itself.

I'll decrease the resolution of the time chunks into extents of around 1 - 2 hours. Good call.

Leave a comment:

• bigrog
    replied
    Perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable IMO. It's not naiive and you do right to question it in your situation. The client won't be happy at all if it comes under scrutiny so I'd be looking to some how up the hours. Doesn't have to be 8 on the dot but more than half a days work for sure.
    Thanks lad for your reply. My issue is not that i'm billing 8 but doing 4; it's more that i'm expected to do 8, but can only do 4, and therefore will only bill for 4.

My original question was badly articulated - my bad.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X