• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nomadic life and contracting"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by qbait View Post
    I'm surprised how important the permanent address is, especially with remote jobs more and more popular nowadays.
    It's really only important as part of the background checks to make sure you can legally work in the UK, that you are registered to pay taxes and that you are not just an outsourcer who turns up to an interview, but then gets his mates somewhere else to deliver shoddy work at a fraction of the price you quote, while you charge full whack but without any insurance, and possibly to do with money laundering.

Leave a comment:

• handyandy
    replied
    Sassy

Actually, I bought a mailbox at CompaniesMadeSimple, but they still need my address to send filtered important mail.
    Unfortunately, I can't give my parents a foreign address as I don't have a utility bill on my name there.

Anyway, thank you, guys.
    Why don't you just call yourself John Smith and only take payment in cash?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Have a google for digital nomads and you should find like minded people who have found and recommend various services for personal or company address inc mail forwarding or storage.

I expect you will still need to provide initial proof of address if they are a legit service, to satisfy tax evasion (i.e. fake foreign residency to avoid local taxes) or money laundering rules and as this is a somewhat recent possibility (being able to work anywhere in the world with an internet connection) I expect the government rules and services provided to be lagging.

It's much simpler and cheaper to just use a close relative or friend's address than rely on third party services.

Leave a comment:

• zonkkk
    replied
    I'm surprised how important the permanent address is, especially with remote jobs more and more popular nowadays.
    Well, the average remote worker will struggle to provide top services from under a random bridge.

Leave a comment:

• qbait
    replied
    I still live in my old place, so I was able to provide the address now. Not sure what I will do in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    (From memory) Every contract that I have taken up require my personal address, where I have needed to provide either of, a Utility Bill / Council Tax registration / Mobile phone account as part of the Agent's due-diligence. If you have none of the above, then I am not sure what type of contracts you intend to take up? This is particularly important in Financial Services / (Local) Government / Education and where there is an element of Security vetting.

What address do you use when opening a Business Banking Account? The Directors normally have to provide proof of residential address (Money Laundering).
    Not all contracts will need those documents, but a lot will.
    The banks most definitely need an address and ID as Scruff says.
    I reckon the OP has the cart but is yet to locate the equine method of transportation.

Leave a comment:

• t0bytoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    (From memory) Every contract that I have taken up require my personal address, where I have needed to provide either of, a Utility Bill / Council Tax registration / Mobile phone account .
    Mobile phone accounts can be registered to a mailbox service address. Nowadays these aren't often good enough for a proof of address, though.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Sassy

Actually, I bought a mailbox at CompaniesMadeSimple, but they still need my address to send filtered important mail.
    Unfortunately, I can't give my parents a foreign address as I don't have a utility bill on my name there.

Anyway, thank you, guys.
    Use 1stformations.co.uk then open your mail and pdf it to you the same day - if you require a hard copy after that you can request it

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    (From memory) Every contract that I have taken up require my personal address, where I have needed to provide either of, a Utility Bill / Council Tax registration / Mobile phone account as part of the Agent's due-diligence. If you have none of the above, then I am not sure what type of contracts you intend to take up? This is particularly important in Financial Services / (Local) Government / Education and where there is an element of Security vetting.

What address do you use when opening a Business Banking Account? The Directors normally have to provide proof of residential address (Money Laundering).

Leave a comment:

• qbait
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Is your ex-flatmate the same guy who is going to buy your company a laptop at educational prices?
    Sassy

Anyway, thank you, guys.
    Last edited by qbait; 17 September 2018, 11:21.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Is your ex-flatmate the same guy who is going to buy your company a laptop at educational prices?

Leave a comment:

• t0bytoo
    replied
    I did something along these lines many years ago. I used Mailboxes etc as the company address and paid for their mail forwarding service.

Not a great idea to go bothering ex-flatmates with mail forwarding when you can sort it out for yourself.

If you use a mailbox address that looks like a residential one, you could use that to fiddle your expenses. But it would be fiddling.

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    And lots of 3 monthers will start ringing alarm bells with potential recruiters. What are you going to do, turn down renewals?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    I'd guess the biggest issue is proving your right to work here (or within the EU), which agencies or direct clients are required to check.

Not sure if just having an EU passport and established recent evidence of a fixed address to pass an identity background check would be good enough, or if you would have to prove a current fixed address one way or another.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    And if you are living at the rented accommodation as your temp home then you can't claim the rent or food as an expense. It's your home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X