• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Clause in contract

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clause in contract"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Ask yourself this:

How will the agent know that you've started working directly for the client?

After all, I'm sure you're not going to tell them, are you?
    More importantly. The agent needs evidence not just knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Wa1nuts View Post
    Hi

i hope this is the correct section.

I have a contract between myself and a client through an agency. One of the clauses in the contract is that I may not provide services to the client either directly or indirect for a period of 12 months after the currect contract terminates. If I do supply services to the client not through the agency, then the agency will be entitled to charge the client a fee.

I am looking in to contracting directly to the client after the contract finishes, any idea if they would actually go ahead and try and charge the client, if so do you think it would be a set fee or they would try and calculate a percentage for any hours Ive worked for the client directly?

Surely this wouldnt stand up in court if it ever went that far?

Has anybody got any experience of this?

Thanks
    Ask yourself this:

How will the agent know that you've started working directly for the client?

After all, I'm sure you're not going to tell them, are you?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If he was marketing it, that would be ad
    GPWM.

As long as someone doesn't decline the hoc...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Because that would be minus hock, not ad
    If he was marketing it, that would be ad

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    How do you know he wasn't selling ham?
    Because that would be minus hock, not ad

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    ad hoc
    How do you know he wasn't selling ham?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    Yep. They got a contractor in to quote for 3 months work and put that forward as their fiscal loss. The guy settled out of court. He then went on to get sued by his next client for jumping ship.
    Then he was an idiot (especially doing it the second time). It's not hard to get yourself released from your notice period, and in worst case, you can always get yourself fired. (This doesn't work for b2b contracts).

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I had a 3 month clause, so waited 3 months and then hooked up direct for a bit of ad hock.
    ad hoc

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I had a 3 month clause, so waited 3 months and then hooked up direct for a bit of ad hock.
    I also had a contract through Modis and then went direct - everyone was up front and I think the client ended up paying £50 a week or something for 3 months. But to agree with the point made above the contract stated it was between the client and the agency and I left them to it.

Leave a comment:

• radish2008
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Really? In the UK? I'm rather skeptical because under UK law I know from experience it's quite difficult to enforce a notice period on an employee. Perhaps there was more to it than simply not giving notice.
    Yep. They got a contractor in to quote for 3 months work and put that forward as their fiscal loss. The guy settled out of court. He then went on to get sued by his next client for jumping ship.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Well, if the penalty isn't defined in OP's contract, then it probably is to paid by the client and is defined in the client's contract with the agency. In which case, it is the client's problem.

OP, you should read this very carefully, and if it really doesn't specify the amount to be paid, and if it really does say that they will be paid a fee by the client, then it simply isn't your problem. IF, and only if, that is the case, tell the client what your contract says, and that you are glad to work for them at the rate the agent has been paying you, but it is up to them to make any arrangements with the agent that their contract requires.

You have to think about payment terms a lot more carefully when you go direct, though. Something to remember.

Some people on this forum seem to struggle with actually reading what is said and considering the possibility that the OP's contract / situation might differ somewhat from their own experience. It's not actually that strange for an agency to word contracts so that they recover from the client rather than the contractor. Clients usually have deeper pockets and are more likely to just pay up rather than try to fight it, so it makes all the sense in the world for agents to structure it that the client would pay handcuff fees.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
    ...You remind me of a guy I once knew who breached a permie notice clause to become a contractor - they sued him and he settled out of court for £20k.
    Really? In the UK? I'm rather skeptical because under UK law I know from experience it's quite difficult to enforce a notice period on an employee. Perhaps there was more to it than simply not giving notice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    This is all very good for permies but does it hold true for businesses? I’m not so sure.
    Even more so for business with so much money involved as well as IP.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Handcuff clauses can't be too generic and all encompassing. If they are they'll fall foul of some restraint of work rule or something. 12 months is definitely too long and as someone mentioned before it is very likely it wouldn't stand up after 9 months.
    This is all very good for permies but does it hold true for businesses? I’m not so sure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X