• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "xmas party CUK article incorrect?"

Collapse

• craig1
    replied
    I don't trust accountants to answer things like this properly, they usually give the most cautious answer when they don't know.

What I've done in the past when I have a query like this is call HMRC and ask them the answer. And then make sure I get the call reference number as the answer is logged. Over the years I've found HMRC to be fast and responsive, with a clear and unambiguous audit trail for if someone decides later that they don't it; unfortunately their staffing issues mean they have been getting a bit slower in the last couple of years.

I'm far too tight to pay for an accountant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Visiting accountingweb it’s remarkable how different the answers look depending on the viewpoints of people
    Indeed but doesn't help when people try and take the piss by funding family days out for which the rule was never designed.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Visiting accountingweb it’s remarkable how different the answers look depending on the viewpoints of people

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    You can’t claim it as an expense. It’s after CT and you can’t have the VaT back either.

A staff annual event is an allowable expense for corporation tax purposes and the VAT is recoverable (even if it exceeds the per head BIK limit).
    Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 6 December 2017, 17:51.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthernHarrier View Post
    Like it - then I get a free day out and save on the corp. tax bill
    You can’t claim it as an expense. It’s after CT and you can’t have the VaT back either.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The actual legislation makes light reference to attendees who aren't employees, and doesn't say they can't have their own £150 allowance - therefore resulting, I think, in the accountants assumption that they can.

Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (note the £75 figure shown was amended in later legislation to £150)

So I'd say it's £150 per head. Although I don't think you're really saving money at all if you go out looking for restaurants where you can pay that much
    Yes it is. I have an annual staff party for me. And my guests are wife and child. £450 is a good party. Accountant says it’s fine.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    You catch on quick

Leave a comment:

• SouthernHarrier
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Why don't you throw the invitation open to any friends and family too.

If you invite enough, maybe the company would actually make a loss that year.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    In our case our annual event is a Motorsports event in the summer. Both my wife and I are directors so budget is max £300. Our two boys always come so in theory could we count them as guests (one per director) and so increase the allowable budget to £600?
    Why don't you throw the invitation open to any friends and family too.

If you invite enough, maybe the company would actually make a loss that year.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Just wondering whether next year we can go to the poo bar instead of taking my own butties
    Hey, whatever does it for you, I'm not judging.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernHarrier
    replied
    Never though of asking my accountant on financial issues. Why didn’t someone say?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Enough to afford an accountant?
    I very much doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    IMO that is just too thinly veiled. Just looks like a day out with the family to me. Why push it that far? You have worked out exactly how much you will be saving here haven't you?
    Enough to afford an accountant?

Leave a comment:

• SouthernHarrier
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Will they be laying on a conference room?
    Not for that price!

Leave a comment:

• SouthernHarrier
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Yes.

Edit: or more precisely, yes the total cost per head would mean max £600 for 4 people, obviously, but there's no guarantee HMRC would consider a family day out to a motorsports event in the middle of Summer a company annual event. Do you do this on an annual recurring basis?
    We've been to the same event as the annual company do for the last 5 years. Not saying I would spend £600 on it, in fact costs have always come in well below £300. Just wondering whether next year we can go to the poo bar instead of taking my own butties

Leave a comment:

Working...
X